Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Fence Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Fence Lizards Forum

Treegirl   ForestEffa   Jared T   Lizardgurl09   WOOKS1111   Lizardgurl09   Grayfuzz   Sproutg   ThesaurusRex   Jared T   Makusu the Ninja   Cartolio   Reptophile   Goldgarnet   Jared T   Baja   Jared T   LizardLoverGirls   Jared T   LizardLoverGirls   Baja   LizardLoverGirls   Jared T   LizardLoverGirls   Trumpzilla   Rebecathelizard   Newbie Keeper  
Pages  < 1 2
 Member  Message

Treegirl
View Profile

Message To: GrimlockRose   In reference to Message Id: 2201702

Western Fence Lizard help??

It usually never goes below 70-75 in my house at night so I think he’ll be ok then, I’ll keep an eye on the temperature though and maybe invest in a heat pad down the road.

I still haven’t seen him eat :( I don’t know for sure that he hasn’t though, going to be putting more crickets in tomorrow morning.

01/29/11  02:16pm

ForestEffa
View Profile

I found a fence lizard on a bike ride to Florence from Eugene and this was like 2 weeks ago he’s been doing fine in captivity but i was wondering if any of you knew why he pushes his eyes out well OK let me explain he closes his eyes then he pushes them and they bulge out and his head bobs up and down he doesn’t do it often but when he does sometimes dirt or sand comes out of his eye lids i think maybe he’s doing it to push little peaces of dirt out cuz they bother him but I’m not sure and it scares me when he does it so please help me i read this post and I’m gonna try the soaking idea maybe that will help him but yes thank you and please tell me whatever you think is going on with him :)

06/03/11  01:38am

Jared T
View Profile

Message To: Jared T   In reference to Message Id: 2222397

Usually the eye bulging is from trying to shed old skin from around the eyes.

The head bobbing is territorial rights, or even mating signals.

The sand in the eyes could be from housing him with sand in his enclosure in captivity. Sand isn’t a good substrate due to the eyes and compaction. I’d invest in Repti-Bark.

06/03/11  08:24am

Lizardgurl09
View Profile

Message To: Lizardgurl09   In reference to Message Id: 2222410

if mines eyes are closed and they wont open i put them under the water in the sink and both there eyes open and they start drinking water because i put them down and they sit there, move there head down, then start opening and closing there mouths . its a funny site

06/09/11  06:38pm

WOOKS1111
View Profile

Well i found a eastern fence3 lizard very similar today and i noticed the same odd behavior from the ifrst post he didn’t run or anything and he let me hold him without a fight, this odd for a wild lizard and normally he would have ran. any way he seemed to have trouble breathing or swallowing but i’m sure he couldn’t breath. he died a few minutes later despite my efforts to save him. i am not a 100% sure why he died but i think he may have been pesitcides cause i found him at work and we spray pesticides form time to time but the last spray was over a week ago... any ideas wht else it could have been if not pesticides?

06/18/11  11:54am

Lizardgurl09
View Profile

Message To: Lizardgurl09   In reference to Message Id: 2225541

he had parasites, internal injeries, or it was the pesticides, ormaybe even starvation/dehydration

06/18/11  07:13pm

Grayfuzz
View Profile

Message To: Treegirl   In reference to Message Id: 2199331

well i think u should give him some friends to comfort him:)!

07/03/11  12:39am

Sproutg
View Profile

Message To: GrimlockRose   In reference to Message Id: 2199364

thank you so much! i think my lizards life just got saved! i have been feeding him mealworms.beacuse when i first got him we went on a vacation,and my freind was "baby sitting" him while we were gone when we got back she said they picked up some mealworms and he really liked him.he hasnt seemed to dislike them so far but ive been feeding them to him for about 4 or 5 months now and he hasnt been eating.so i though he was just getting tired of them so i whent outside and dug up an earthworm...and he didint eat that so i left some mealworms in the tank for about half an hour,and he still hasnt eaten those i dont think :(.so i cought some crickets about the size of the width of his eyes and i dont think he has eaten those. HES MY BABY SO IM REALLY WORRIED
PLEASE HELP ME!

09/14/12  09:03pm

ThesaurusRex
View Profile

Message To: ThesaurusRex   In reference to Message Id: 2280361

Start a new thread, do not hijack this one.

Why do you think his life got saved? Why do you keep feeding him mealworms?

And why did you try and dig up a dang earthworm from outside? Don’t you research?

You caught some crickets, or you BOUGHT some crickets?

The constant feeding of mealworms may have impacted him, or the bringing in things from outside may have given him a disease. Mealworms are a TREAT, NOT a staple!

Make a new thread, and post your tank specifications. You’d think that if he was your ’baby’ you would devote more time to research and proper care.

09/15/12  10:46am

Jared T
View Profile

Message To: Jared T   In reference to Message Id: 2280397

Get ’em Rex lol

09/15/12  12:58pm

Makusu the Ninja
View Profile

Message To: Makusu the Ninja   In reference to Message Id: 2280414

This post is over a year old. Wow!

09/16/12  10:33pm

Cartolio
View Profile

I had the same problem

i have a western fence lizard too (and my cousin did catch him but later i caught one to!) and that dazed state seems to be that he’s hibernating because my heat bulb ran out and we ordered one from amazon.
then when we put in a diffenrnt heat lamp he wasn’t so sleepy and dazed. i use the mini combo deep dome to hold the bulbs, and then i also use the Exo Terra Heat-Glo Infrared Spot Lamp, 120-Volt ( link here: http://www.amazon.com/Terra-Heat-Glo-Infrared-75-Watt-120-Volt/dp/B0002AR3QC/ref=sr_1_6?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1352902085&sr=1-6&keywords=75+watt+reptile+bulb) and the reptie glow UVB 10.00

so i hope that helped!

11/14/12  08:59am

Reptophile
View Profile

It is just too cold and they can’t move very fast when there is no sunlight. :D

11/18/12  05:23pm

Goldgarnet
View Profile

does your lizard make a purring sound , or gravelly sound, when you stroke it’s back? mine just fed, and she seems to make a slight gravelly clicking/purr when i try to stroke her back. is that a growl?

07/09/14  03:11pm

Jared T
View Profile

Message To: Jared T   In reference to Message Id: 2307010

A blast from the past!!!

07/11/14  08:05pm

Baja
View Profile

Message To: Baja   In reference to Message Id: 2307106

Haha. You haven’t posted here in awhile Jared T.

07/11/14  09:07pm

Jared T
View Profile

Message To: Jared T   In reference to Message Id: 2307111

Yessirr. Been fishing, not herping. lol

07/12/14  10:40am

LizardLoverGirls
View Profile

Message To: LizardLoverGirls   In reference to Message Id: 2307130

So..you like fishing?? Its a sorta like a reotile

07/12/14  01:15pm

Jared T
View Profile

Message To: Jared T   In reference to Message Id: 2307147

No I don’t like fishing. I absolutely hate it! No matter what I do, or how hard I try, I just can’t get away from it! It’s one of the most frustrating things I have ever done/do, but when I do catch a big ’ol fish, ohh it makes it all worth it!

07/12/14  02:02pm

LizardLoverGirls
View Profile

Message To: LizardLoverGirls   In reference to Message Id: 2307155

Aw...sorry

07/12/14  06:19pm

Baja
View Profile

Message To: Baja   In reference to Message Id: 2307165

Wow! I’m sure that fish gave you quite a fight.

07/12/14  08:02pm

LizardLoverGirls
View Profile

Message To: LizardLoverGirls   In reference to Message Id: 2307173

Yep it probably did

07/14/14  07:44am

Jared T
View Profile

Message To: Jared T   In reference to Message Id: 2307173

Ran like a freight train when I set the hook! She was fun!

07/14/14  01:38pm

LizardLoverGirls
View Profile

Message To: LizardLoverGirls   In reference to Message Id: 2307253

Lol

07/14/14  05:35pm

Trumpzilla
View Profile

there is no need for a night lamp they do fine without them just make sure you have a lamp for during the day and always have the temperature any where from 70-80 degrees fahrenheit and spray the tank with water daily.

they can grow anywhere from 4-7 inches including tail. you should feed him 2-3 small or 1-2 medium crickets everyday.
just feed the crickets fluker’s calcium it work great.

a uvb would benefit you because they heat up better than normal bulb so its easier to get it warm quicker and stay warm.

11/16/15  08:14pm

Rebecathelizard
View Profile

My male lizard is more relaxed like urs in the description bit they do drink the water they don’t do it in front of u often and also u should spray water so he can lick it off my lizard is verry friendly now and he is like a pet ud buy he’s tht friendly some lizards are just naturally born friendly it’s not weird it’s just there encounter with people or he could be sick I’d suggest takeing him to the vet and if they say he’s fine then he’s just really friendly as to the food some lizards like certain things like people we all prefer one food over the other some lizards like cricket most of mine like crickets some like meal worms others like red wiggle worms witch they have all these foods there now I know this is strange but some like role polls and spiders I had one lizard tht didn’t like the foods I’d buys so I looked for spiders worms roll polls and other outside bugs I hope this isn’t to late heat rocks I’ve heard aren’t helthy for lizards and if u still want a rock for head I’d suggest running a random rock over some hot water it’s more natural tht way and I have had lots of experience with lizards considering I own five used to have twelve and have has them for about 5yrs of experience with lizards plz conACT me through kik my kik is lolz_its.me I hope this has helped u

02/20/16  01:38pm

Newbie Keeper
View Profile

Western Fence Lizard the 2nd?

Hello, I just caught a western Fence myself and need help? I have got him a bit of water and different things, basikibg lught, bulbs, etc. But he seems to be doing the skidding thing like you described, not eating, staying still, but he runs away quite quickly? Also the cage basking area is 100 degrees, is that too much? It’s a large tank and the other side is cooler but I need more information, thank you and I hope Blue is well :)

09/27/17  08:44pm
Pages  < 1 2

Back to Fence Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area