Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Worms-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Worms-Keeping and Breeding Forum

Red*   Geckogirlemi   Red*  
 Member  Message

Red*
View Profile

Silkworms???

What is their care?? Like what should the temps be, what kind of enclouser do they need, how fast do they grow, stuff like that.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!
Heres a pic of my pictus gecko who i might feed silkies now!!

~Red*

06/15/06  10:44am

Geckogirlemi
View Profile

Message To: Red*   In reference to Message Id: 834404

Silkworms???

Hey I just noticed your post.

Quote:

I use Jumbo reptile ranch for no more than 500(and at that it is pushing it) But aquariums or Rubbermaid containers can be used .If you see 4 Silkworms stacked on top of each other, the container is too small. Gut load them with silkworm chow and you just grate the chow over the worms or put a few chunks in the cage after the old chow dries up. After you take any silkworms out of the colony and put them in the animal’s cage, do not put them back with the colony, just throw them out. Putting a worm that has been in the cage in back with the colony will kill all of them. Depending on how much you feed them is how much they grow, they can go a week max without food. I feed mine 2 to 3 times a week to keep them an edible size for my Leopard gecko. Now I know some people say wear gloves at all times when cleaning and handling your colony, Just wash your hands before touching the colony and it will be fine. Do not handle the silkworm chow in the container; only handle the food you are going to feed them. I dip the chow out with a spoon and then put “clumps” in the cage.

That is from my website.:)

06/18/06  06:34pm

Red*
View Profile

Message To: Geckogirlemi   In reference to Message Id: 838622

Silkworms???

Thanks, can you give me a link to your website??

~Red*

06/22/06  11:24am

Back to Worms-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area