Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Worms-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Worms-Keeping and Breeding Forum

Mama42   Tpau15   Gottee guy   Buzzid   Zoc31  
 Member  Message

Mama42
View Profile

Where did they go???

ok. so, i started a worm bed a couple of days ago in a cat litter pan. im new at this, so didnt know what the outcome would be. but, i didnt expect them to just disapear. i had them on my porch, cause thats th only shade. i had them in coconut fiber and dirt and added stuff like potato skins, paper, coffee grounds and filter. and was getting ready to add some more stuff, when i dug in the dirt and there werent any worms. at all!! i also noticed the dirt was full...and i mean full of ants! the deeper i dug, the more ants there were (sugar ants, i guess). so, i dumped it out in the yard and still, no worms....and lots of ants..

i doont understand. i had it moist, yet not real wet. and the dirt was cool to the touch. did the ants completely devour the worms? or did they just go away...and where did they go? it is all concrete where i had them and the ground here is very dry, as im in Cali. no worm holes either...

if the ants got them, how can i keep that from happening in the future? i want to start over. i had 4 or 5 dozen worms out there...

thanks for future info, help and/or ideas...

07/25/08  12:42am

Tpau15
View Profile

Message To: Mama42   In reference to Message Id: 1807928

Where did they go???

Yes, it sounds like the ants killed and dragged your worms away, piece by piece. You need to put your colony somewhere where the ants can’t get to them; perhaps somewhere inside your house, like the garage. You could try to place ant traps around the container that houses your worms.

-tpau15

07/29/08  05:03pm

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: Tpau15   In reference to Message Id: 1812865

Where did they go???

maybe the worms scaled the walls. how tall was the cat litter pan and did it have a cover on top?

08/06/08  01:28pm

Buzzid
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1821663

Where did they go???

My first batch of worms crawled out of my container because I did not have a cover on it and the walls of the container were about 8 inches from the dirt.

10/10/08  07:18am

Zoc31
View Profile

Message To: Mama42   In reference to Message Id: 1807928

Where did they go???

Ants, I used to feed some in my yard and they’d rip worms to pieces

10/30/08  10:11am

Back to Worms-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area