Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Worms-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Worms-Keeping and Breeding Forum

Rhian   Mampam   Bullfrogg  
 Member  Message

Rhian
View Profile

Slow worm

MY SON CAME HOME WITH A SLOW WORM YESTERDAY AFTER SCHOOL IT WAS ON PATH SO HE PICKED IT UP AND WANTS TO KEEP IT. HE ONLY FOUR AND I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THEM! DO ANYONE KNOW HOW TO LOOK AFTER THEM?

11/08/07  10:48am

Mampam
View Profile

Message To: Rhian   In reference to Message Id: 1506123

Slow worm

thats a lizard

11/21/07  12:36pm

Bullfrogg
View Profile

Message To: Mampam   In reference to Message Id: 1522019

Slow worm

I would just post a link to go to but looks like that might against the rules? So here’s a simple care sheet I found...This is a very simple care sheet for Slow-Worms along with the current laws surrounding them. This is my first ever care sheet so its not great but I think it provides the information required for keeping slow-worms in captivity.
I had no idea they lived so long!

LAW:

1 ) It is illegal to kill, injure or sell wild slow worms.

2 ) The Law only applies to wild animals therefore you are allowed to sell captive bred slow-worms without the need for a license.

3 ) If you wish to sell wild caught slow-worms, a license is required.

4 ) Any animal conceived and born in a controlled environment is considered captive bred, therefore the laws do not apply.

5 ) However, any animal produced as a result of a fertile egg taken from the wild and hatched in a controlled environment (captivity) would be considered taken from the wild and therefore the laws apply.

6 ) Likewise with a gravid female slow-worm taken from the wild and born in a controlled environment would be considered taken from the wild and the laws apply.

Common Name: Slow-Worm,

Latin Name: Anguis Fragilis

Native to: Mainland Europe, Great Britain, Southwest Asia and Northwest Africa

Size: Anything up to 50cm for a female and about 45cm for a male.

Life span: If taken care of properly, slow worms can live for 20 years or more ( Record 54 years ).

General appearance: Slow worms are covered in smooth, shiney scales or reddish brown, brown, grey or silvery grey. Males tend to be unicoloured with females usually having darker sides and a dark vertabral stripe.

Housing requirements:

Enclosure: A minimum 50 gallon tank / tub is recommended for a single slow worm, along with a well fitting lid but at the same time allowing free exchange of air.

Temperature: The ambient temperature should be 15° - 18° C in summer with a basking site being about 21° - 23° C. During the winter the tank can be reduced to a temperate of 5° - 10° C .

Light: If the slow worm is being housed indoors UVB will be needed.

Substrate: Sandy Soil mixed with either Coconut fiber or peat moss, with a ratio of 2:1 will be fine with a depth of about 6-10 inches

Environment: Slow-worms should be provided with plenty of places to hide and burrow. Some flat rocks for basking and hiding under are a bonus along with a few small live plants.

Diet: Small snails, slugs, worms, spiders, hairless caterpillars and other grubs.

Water: This should always be fresh and provided in a shallow tray / dish allowing the slow worm to soak if required.

Handling: This should be kept to a minimum, although if you are handling be very gentle as slow worms are able to drop their tail if needed.

Maintenance: The enclosure should be spot cleaned daily. A thorough cleaning should be performed on a regular basis. A 5% bleach solution is an excellent disinfectant. Be sure to thoroughly rinse the enclosure before replacing the substrate and placing the slow worm back in the enclosure. Hand washing after handling the slow worm or any cage furnishings is essential.

01/08/10  06:12pm

Back to Worms-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area