Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Worms-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Worms-Keeping and Breeding Forum

00Penguin   Leokeeper   Caroline   Caliandra   Caliandra   789  
 Member  Message

00Penguin
View Profile

Mealworm cultures

How do you keep mealworm cultures clean? Mine always has some dead beetles, skins or pupae in it. Do i just pick them out?

09/07/04  09:43pm

Leokeeper
View Profile

Message To: 00Penguin   In reference to Message Id: 138511

Mealworm cultures

Hi, When my meal worm container gets dirty I pick out all the worms and put them in another container of some sort then I dump out there cage wash it, dry it and refill it then put the worms back, You could just take out the old skins and dead bugs but if the cage stinks then it will still stink once the dead bugs are removed. I hope this helps

09/18/04  07:11pm

Caroline
View Profile

Message To: Leokeeper   In reference to Message Id: 144856

Mealworm cultures

Funny you guys would mention that today- I made the mistake of putting a whole overripe banana in with them, because I’m trying to make them grow before I stash them in the fridge, they were really tiny when they arrived. So now their bran is all damp and I have to transfer them to some fresh bran. They’ve been growing and shedding so much, the top of their bran was a solid half-inch of skins, I just took the container outside and blew on it and got most of the skins out. They’re in a shallow rubbermaid thing, I guess that wouldn’t work if you had them in something deeper. Anyway, that’s my next task for the day before I go and finish the frame for the screened top of Grendel’s new dragon lair.

09/18/04  07:41pm

Caliandra
View Profile

Message To: Caroline   In reference to Message Id: 144865

Mealworm cultures

I have a culture of mealworms, and I recently had to change the substrate because of a small infestation of a fuzzy little bug. Thereís 4 of them, and I had to pluck them out of the old substrate so I could look them up. I havenít found anything like them except for carpet beetle larva...
Iím wondering if any of you have cultures that have had these little buggers? Iím also curious as to if they can eat Mealworms. Iíve seen them chewing on those that are dead and dead crickets. I found one mealworm that looked as if theyíd chewed it up before it was dead.

Any ideas?

03/21/06  09:15pm

Caliandra
View Profile

Message To: Caliandra   In reference to Message Id: 703535

Mealworm cultures

Make that 6 of them. I found 2 more in the "weird bug" culture I made. I just separated them out into an old Flukerís Superworm container.
I need to get some pictures.

03/21/06  09:29pm

View Profile

Message To: Caliandra   In reference to Message Id: 703555

Mealworm cultures

I had three containers like recommended. Problem is that I have way too many beetle to try picking them out to put them in another container and the mealworms in there are too small to pick up. Any suggestions?

11/10/06  03:36am

Back to Worms-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area