Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Worms-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Worms-Keeping and Breeding Forum

Leokeeper   Hacksaw   Leokeeper   Hacksaw   Hacksaw   Leokeeper  
 Member  Message

Leokeeper
View Profile

Keeping Silkworms/Wax worms and crickets easily... how to?

Hi Ok I am about to get some silkworm eggs, silk worms, wax worms and crickets lol quite an order. I was wondering Where to keep the silkworms? can you mix silkworm sizes?....I would Not put tiny babies in with full grown ones but might need to mix meduims and small or whatever.

I have a cracked ten gallon tank I duct taped I could get a wire lid for it...would this work for silkworms?

how many can go in a ten gallon tank?

What is used as bedding?

Do I change silkworm bedding sas you would say other feeder worm bedding?

I want to know how to keep wax worms without them dieing...not in the fridge but at room temp?

And lasty I have had bad luck with crickets for ever I will get another 5 to 10 gallon tank with a sucure lid for them...how many small/middle sized crickets can fit in a five to ten gallon tank?

what to use as bedding?

What is The best food to feed crickets to gut load that wont get hidden in the bedding and rot?

does anyone know what age crickets start to sing at?

And lastly how fast do crickets grow I will be buying 500-1000 my baby bearded dragon I will have next week(I have an adult now and he eats alot too lol) I dont want the crickets to outgrow the lizard! Lots of questions I know but i need some help here. iíve never had silkies before and only had bad luck with other bugs other then uperworms lol.

Thank you all very very much for any answers to my many questions.

07/26/07  11:31am

Hacksaw
View Profile

Message To: Leokeeper   In reference to Message Id: 1375290

Your Silkworms can be kept on papaer towels, they may die if exposed to germs, so I would switch the papaer towels weekly. A 10 gallon tank will work well for up to 1,000 crickets. I would use Reptilefood.comís cricket care kit, it basicly is top quality food for them. Crickets will not outgrow the Beardie that fast, but within weeks they will. Keep silkworms at room temp, or if you wanna make them grow faster keep them in the low 80ís, you do know they need silkworm chow right? Their is no real way to keep waxworms living that long without them dieing at room temp, put them in the fridge do you live with your parents? if you do i wouldnít put the waxowrms in then....lol I honestly forgot most of your questions so that should cover ateast half of them, tell me if i missed any.

07/26/07  10:07pm

Leokeeper
View Profile

Message To: Hacksaw   In reference to Message Id: 1376353

Thanks Hacksaw apprecate it.....I have never had silkies before so am just starting with them, I would put the wax worms in the fridge but arenít they supposed to be gut loaded too? Do you know by chance if I should feed mostly silk worms or mostly crickets to a baby bearded dragon? Iíd perfer worms they seem easy to breed and donít chirp or hop like crickets and crickets reek as well...do silkies stink too?

07/27/07  10:36am

Hacksaw
View Profile

Message To: Leokeeper   In reference to Message Id: 1376959

Silkworms have no scent what so ever! Thatís what great about them, I feed all my BDís (babies too) Silkworms, I donít like to feed my BDís Crickets only because they may have the risk of having parasites. As long as you have food for the SIlkworms they really donít move (they stay near the food source) I think your baby BD would appreciate the Sikworms because they are mushy. Yes waxowrms need to be gutloaded to feed them whatever you are feeding your Crickets but in a smaller amount.
Any other questions feel free to ask...
Ok so I had to add a few pics

07/27/07  12:40pm

Hacksaw
View Profile

Message To: Hacksaw   In reference to Message Id: 1377106

Oh I read your original post again, crickets begin to chirp when they reach adult hood usually when they start to develop wings.

07/27/07  12:51pm

Leokeeper
View Profile

Message To: Hacksaw   In reference to Message Id: 1377128

Thanks again...very helpful.

07/28/07  10:38am

Back to Worms-Keeping and Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area