Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Whiptail Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Whiptail Lizards Forum

Birdman88   Asher1027   Asher1027   Birdman88   Birdman88   Asher1027   Birdman88   Kelso reptiles   Asher1027   Kelso reptiles   Asher1027   Kelso reptiles   Birdman88   Kelso reptiles   Birdman88   Kelso reptiles   Dragondreamer   Birdman88  
 Member  Message

Birdman88
View Profile

Great Basin Whiptail

Ok I’ll go first.I’m a novice at keeping lizards, and have recently acquired 2 nice adult Whiptail here in the Death Valley area. There are no shortage of them and mine are very active and eating well. I have them in a 55 gal alone, I hope to eventually get some more after learning. What a great lizard to watch. I would love to learn about breeding them and would appreciate any advice. Should there be a harem? How do you sex them?
I also have 2 juvenile Side Blotch Lizards, , and 2 small Yellow Backed Spiny Lizards. There is an excellent lizard population around here, and I’m learning as much as possible. Is anyone breeding these? I see the juveniles around the house with blue tails and they are gorgeous! Hope to hear from you.
Len

07/08/11  11:35am

Asher1027
View Profile

Message To: Birdman88   In reference to Message Id: 2228027

Great Basin Whiptail

Could you post some pics of your great basin’s? I will get some of my pics of my checkard whiptails up soon.

07/08/11  01:50pm

Asher1027
View Profile

Message To: Birdman88   In reference to Message Id: 2228027

Great Basin Whiptail

I just look up Great Basin Whiptail on youtube and I found a vid that said he found them in Death vally CA, is this you? If so, awsome lizzards. For sexing, males have two small lumps on there vent, females dont. I dont really know anything about breeding yet.

07/08/11  01:57pm

Birdman88
View Profile

Message To: Asher1027   In reference to Message Id: 2228049

Great Basin Whiptail

Hi,
Thanks for you reply.
No that’s not me that posted the video, but there are a lot of these really cool lizards here. Thanks for the advice on sexing, also Kelso reptiles mentioned femoral pores , larger on males. I just read in my spiffy new lizard book that the male are more robust , jowls and forelimbs are often much larger, and coloration on males darker ventrally. I’ll check them over, so far without handling them it arrears I’ve lucked out and caught got a pair. They also drink the water, I read (maybe on this site)that whiptails need more water than average lizards in captivity. Around my house , they often go to the little irrigation drips in the garden for a clean drink.
Thanks again,
Len

07/09/11  05:44pm

Birdman88
View Profile

Message To: Asher1027   In reference to Message Id: 2228049

Great Basin Whiptail

Ok It was YOUR care sheet I’ve gone back now and checked. So... interestingly this species, Aspidoscelis tigris tigris drinks from the water dish, and Checkered Whiptail doesn’t. Do you have Aspidoscelis tesselata? All female Unisexual species? I some good books now and I’m leaning a lot. I’ll put up some photos soon.
Thanks again,
Len

07/09/11  06:00pm

Asher1027
View Profile

Message To: Birdman88   In reference to Message Id: 2228205

Great Basin Whiptail

No, I have a Aspidoscelis neotesselata, I have never seen mine drink from a water bowl.

07/10/11  09:23pm

Birdman88
View Profile

Message To: Asher1027   In reference to Message Id: 2228474

Great Basin Whiptail

I Just read up on Neotesselata. Very limited range!

07/11/11  01:27pm

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

Message To: Birdman88   In reference to Message Id: 2228576

Great Basin Whiptail

you should go to the site californiaherps.com it shows all of the herps of california even the invasiv ones

07/11/11  09:42pm

Asher1027
View Profile

Message To: Asher1027   In reference to Message Id: 2228474

Great Basin Whiptail

Even if my checkard wanted to drink from a water bowl, I don’t think he could, he has a tongued like a snake.

07/12/11  05:43pm

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

Message To: Asher1027   In reference to Message Id: 2228748

Great Basin Whiptail

oh my god i was waiting for someone to ask or say something about the toung of a whiptail
aucualy if you open their mouth they start off like a snake then start to look like a flat regular toung

07/12/11  07:00pm

Asher1027
View Profile

Message To: Kelso reptiles   In reference to Message Id: 2228760

Great Basin Whiptail

How did you open his mouth?

07/13/11  11:30am

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

Message To: Asher1027   In reference to Message Id: 2228817

Great Basin Whiptail

well when i first found out it was because the whiptail bit my thumb and i saw its toung
but to open it just grisp the lizard from behind the head while suporting the rest of his body then gently pull down on the skin under the mouth and usally they open with out any force

07/13/11  05:04pm

Birdman88
View Profile

Message To: Kelso reptiles   In reference to Message Id: 2228860

Great Basin Whiptail-photos

Here are some photos of the, as of yesterday, 3 Great Basin Whiptails (Aspididocelis tigris-tigris) that I have in a 55 gal. The first one is showing one of them drinking. This one definitely has a forked tongue, and flicks it in the water repeatedly to drink. I would love to see the photos of the neotesselatas that you have too. How many do you have?One of mine has had a tail injury( It was like that already when I caught it) and the other two are normal. All three are very active and eat crickets, meal worms, and any horseflies, moths or butterflies that i throw in there. I’m really enjoying them. I have not figured out how to attach them , but they’re on my photo page.
Len

07/14/11  02:00pm

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

Message To: Birdman88   In reference to Message Id: 2228986

cool lizards
man your lucky i have never had any luck keeping wild whiptails
i have kept every kind of lizard found in the mojave desert and the only kind of lizards from the wild i have been able to keep where western banded geckos

07/14/11  03:41pm

Birdman88
View Profile

Message To: Kelso reptiles   In reference to Message Id: 2229010

Well,
I’ll wait and see, so far so good, I work at home a-lot, so I can sit here and spend time on them .One of the Whiptails snaps all the heads off of the meal worms and eats just the heads. He shakes his head while biting and the rest of the worm goes flying . Then after he eats all the heads, he goes around and finds the rest. The side blotch’s seem ok too,eating small crickets ,I have a fruit fly trap that I put in the tank and put the tank outside in certain times of day. They are pretty active, and then I bring them back inside after awhile. I watch the tank temp real carefully. Three smaller Yellow-backed Spiny Lizards are doing ok too. Each species seems to have their own schedule, and thermo needs, and its interesting to try to figure out what all that.
So, what species do you keep?

07/14/11  08:03pm

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

Message To: Birdman88   In reference to Message Id: 2229049

well i stoped keeping wild caughts but i used to have (LIZARDS) whiptails, yellow back spinys, western banded geckos, desert iguannas, horned lizards, night lizards, tree lizards, long tail brush lizards, side blotched lizards, western fence lizards, (SNAKES) red rasers, gopher snakes, shovle nose snakes, night snakes, garter snakes, and this one snake that i could not ID it looked like some kind of kingsnake that i found in newberry springs

07/15/11  12:04am

Dragondreamer
View Profile

Message To: Kelso reptiles   In reference to Message Id: 2229081

Hey guys,
My boyfriend and I recently acquired four whiptails, one coastal (Aspidoscelis Tigris Stejnegeri), and three small Belding’s Orange Throated whiptails (Aspidoscelis Hyperythra Beldingi). I do know for a fact and have been reminded several times, though I can’t remember the sources, that Aspidoscelis Tigris Stejneger does not in fact drink water. However, ours and others are known to soak themselves and occasionally will lick dew or water droplets off of plant leaves. Ours likes to lick the water off the glass in the morning when I mist him.

The smaller orange throated whiptails we did not have very long. But I can say this; all four are such joys to keep and so very interesting to watch. We gave the three orange throated whiptails to a family member’s young son who is a budding herpetologist and absolutely loves them. They are great for him to watch as they are very active and such ravenous eaters.

OH, the smaller three, the orange throated whiptails did in fact drink water. It wasn’t often or very much but I did see them drink on occasion.

Anyway, I just wanted to share our experience with them so far and I enjoyed reading about their cousins. Keep up the flow of info guys, there isn’t enough information available on these wonderful herps.

07/31/11  02:24am

Birdman88
View Profile

Message To: Dragondreamer   In reference to Message Id: 2231141

Whiptails

Thanks for the interesting whiptail info. I’ll have to read a little about your species. I’m up to 4 tigris-tigris. The 4th joined when he was apprehended trying to raid the 10 gal cricket tank. I agree that they’re really fun and extremely active. The eat a ton! When they start to get full, they wriggle lengthwise as if to make more room. They drink from a very flat shallow 3inch saucer type dish, and only when the water is clean and fresh. They bask at the hot bright end of the tank and when they seem warmed up enough, they make the rounds of the tank, exploring every inch.

08/11/11  09:11pm

Back to Whiptail Lizards Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area