Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Weather & Disaster Emergency Network Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Weather & Disaster Emergency Network Forum

Webmaster   BoaBabe448   Webmaster   BoaBabe448  
 Member  Message

Webmaster
View Profile

Emergency Informaton

I’m typed up some of what I recieved from my landlords pertaining to the hurricane coming. Thought I would share it with members. Please feel free to add to it.

When You Know the Hurricane Is Going To Hit

• Turn your refrigerator and freezer to the coldest settings. Open them only when absolutely neccessary.
  • Freeze water in plastic jugs or bags in advance and use them to fill every space in the refrigerator/freezer to keep food cool.
  • Prepare an emergency water supply before the hurricane strikes. Figure on gallon of drinking water per person per day. Also fill coolers with ice.
  • Sterlize the bathtub, scrub throughly, sponge and swab with bleach, then rinse. Let the bathtub dry and fill with water. This water can be used for sanitary purposes including bathing, washing, and flushing.
  • Make sure you have alteast a two week supply of non-perishable foods. DO NOT forget your non-electric can opener.

Some Preperations

• Unplug your television, computer, DVD/VCR, and stereo equipment.
  • Back-Up your computer systems and store the back-ups in a secure location.
  • Bring in all objects that can easily be blown away, such as patio furniture, bikes, plants, and grills.
  • Prepare your vehicle. Fill your gas tanks early. Gasoline may not be available after the hurricane strikes due to power outages.
  • If available park your vehicle in a garage or away from trees.
  • Check and charge all flashlights, battery powered lanterns, portable radios, and have spare batteries on hand.
  • Board pets in an animal shelter or bring them indoors, and make sure you have plenty of water and food for your pet.
  • Collect your disaster supply kits, along with blankets and sleepin bags.
  • Store valuables and documents, place valuables, personal papers, and insurance information in a waterproof container and store them in the highest possible spot.
  • Make sure you have plenty of cash, as ATM machines will be down if there is a power outage.
  • Inventory your personal property(a video tape is an excellent idea)

During The Hurricane

• Remain Indoors
  • If winds become strong, stay away from windows and doors. Take refuge in a samll interior room, closet, or hallway. Take a battery powered radio or tv and a flashlight with you to your place of refuge.
  • If flooding threatens your home, turn off the electricity at the main breaker.
  • If you lose power, turn off all major appliances such as A/C and water heater to reduce damage. Utility compaines, recommend turning off the main breaker after a loss of power to protect against power surges.

Emergency Phone Numbers
    This is for Florida..If you have other states emergency phone numbers please post them.

Medical, Polic, Fire - 911

Federal Emergency Management Administration 1-800-621-3362 www. fema.gov

Florida Department of Cummunity Affairs 1-800-342-3557 www.floridadisaster.org

Florida Department of Insurance 1-800-227-8676 www.doi.state.fl.us

American Red Cross www.redcross.org

Good Luck To Everyone
    Doug - Webmaster

• 09/02/04  11:49pm

BoaBabe448
    View Profile

Message To: Webmaster   In reference to Message Id: 134942

Emergency Informaton

Doug, I thought you lived in NC? or do you live in FL? I hope everyone makes it throough the hurricane alright. Best Wishes!

09/02/04  11:55pm

Webmaster
    View Profile

Message To: BoaBabe448   In reference to Message Id: 134949

Emergency Informaton

Boababe448,

I just moved to Florida at the end of June. I just updated my profile too.

Doug - Webmaster

09/03/04  12:02am

BoaBabe448
    View Profile

Message To: Webmaster   In reference to Message Id: 134965

Emergency Informaton

Oh, LOL I guess I havent looked at it in a while.

09/03/04  12:03am

Back to Weather & Disaster Emergency Network Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area