Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Weather & Disaster Emergency Network Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Weather & Disaster Emergency Network Forum

Webmaster   Drache   J & B   Pedder46   J & B   ForeverDance   Pe   J & B   BoaBabe448   Pamula   Cobra 82   JOANAVOKES   Bassoonman   Pogos grandma   Strobe   Cobra 82   Cobra 82   Poncho   Cobra 82   Cbatusf   Carmelita   WildWillie   22maz22  
 Member  Message

Webmaster
View Profile

Welcome to the Weather & Disaster Emergency Network Forum!

Welcome to the Weather and Disaster Emergency Network Forum!

I figured after Hurricane Charlie a couple of weeks ago, that we need a forum to help get hobbyists and their reptile, amphibians, and other pets prepare for weather related emergencies and disasters. As well as keeping in contact and updates on weather or disaster related situations. I think the word Network says it all, that we can come together to support each other through emergency weather and disaster situations. This is where you can come to get advice, ask questions, or update us on weather or disaster conditions.

So anything weather or disaster related can be posted here.

Thanks
Doug - Webmaster

09/01/04  04:37am

Drache
View Profile

Message To: Webmaster   In reference to Message Id: 133723

Have good faith... you’ll pull through this next one!!!

09/01/04  06:00am

J & B
View Profile

Message To: Drache   In reference to Message Id: 133730

So am i a bad person if i leave my beardies at home if we have to evacuate??? I can bring the dog and cat with us but dont have anything to put the beardies in, well i have soemthing to put them in, like a cat carrier but i only have one of them and i have 2 beardies so not sure about that,plus if i do that i wont have anyway for them to get their heat. If i leave them at home they will at least have their heat until the power goes off.
They are in a nice spot in the living room, near no windows, we will take everything off the walls and stuff. Im just afraid if i lose power how will they get there heat. Only thing i know to do is get some thermal wraps from sporting good store, but then what???? How do i keep them warm and will they be okay w/o UVB for a couple of days. Ive got plenty of veggies and we will probably get more crickets and worms before storm hits. Any more ideas?????

09/01/04  09:46am

Pedder46
View Profile

Message To: J   In reference to Message Id: 133772

make a carrier with the extra wood u use to board up

09/01/04  10:38am

J & B
View Profile

Message To: Pedder46   In reference to Message Id: 133794

The wood we use to board up are already precut to fit our windows. When we bought our Townhouse the sellers left it. Lowes and home depot have people fighting over wood. They have been running out of wood everyday and the lines are backed up out of the store to get the wood they do have. Its crazy!!!
But thanks for the advice!!!

09/01/04  10:52am

ForeverDance
View Profile

Message To: J   In reference to Message Id: 133799

I’m not really sure how the evacuation thing works since I have never been in this position. But when we take our reptiles out we use hot water bottles to keep them warm. I was thinking that were you evacuated too might still have hot water? I would also suggest that a cat carrier would work okay, and although it would be a little cramped for two of them in there it might be better then having them in your house if something were to happen there. Your call of course, just thought I would offer my advice/opinion.

09/01/04  11:17am

Pe
View Profile

Hey J&B,

If you want to take them with you, you can put them in a pillowcase during travel or even a rubbermaid container. Or even buy a rubbermaid container when you get to where ever it is your going to go. Your dragons will survive without the high heat and UVB lights for a few days. Just make sure if you do leave them, they have some greens to eat to help provide a source of hydration. You live in Florida so I would not worry about getting heat packs or anything. They should be fine without that.

I’m not sure how this hurricane thing works, because it will be my first real one in Florida. So I don’t know if we have to evacuate. I’m not going anywhere though. So hopefully a Hurricane Experienced Floridian will give us some pointers on surviving the storm. This time I do have some water about 4-5 gallons. I was also told to fill the bathtub with water too.

PE

09/01/04  11:19am

J & B
View Profile

Message To: Pe   In reference to Message Id: 133825

Do you think there size difference would be okay to put them together. I would be afraid of him mounting chi chi. I thin i will come up with something. More ideas are welcome though.

09/01/04  01:16pm

BoaBabe448
View Profile

Message To: J   In reference to Message Id: 133870

dont you have little bug things....they can go in them...depending on size...and you just put the 2 of the cages next to eachother on a heat pad (with towels inbetween of course) and they should be fine

09/01/04  01:24pm

Pamula
View Profile

Message To: BoaBabe448   In reference to Message Id: 133875

Florida native here, have tons of advice. Board up or tape your windows.
Move the herps into an interior room, something like the bathroom - if you are not evacuated.
Elevate them if you can, especially if you are in a flood zone.
Flying debris is actually the biggest problem during a hurricane, smashed windows and the like...then the power outages.
You won’t have to worry about keeping them too warm if the electric goes out...average FL temps are 85-93 around this time of year. You can fill up the bathtub (yuck!) or whatever empy containers you may have lying around. Bet there is a run on bottled water, but not on tupperware jugs...
Make sure you stockpile food that doesn’t have to be cooked and that won’t spoil. Energy bars may come in handy. Make sure you have plenty of batteries, and a flashlight. There will be no running to Burger King, no turning on the microwave. And eat all of your perishables as soon as you can!
For an emergency like this - commercial repcal (or whatever brand you prefer) foods can really come in handy, if your power is out for 3 days, there will be no fresh greens, unless you grow your own. Maybe run out to your local pet store and stock up.
Document your home and property before the hurricane, for your insurance company. Photos are the best proof of ownership.

And don’t go running around out there! Keep safe nd dry inside.

09/01/04  11:19pm

Cobra 82
View Profile

Message To: Pamula   In reference to Message Id: 134314

This is my second hurricane,the first was Charley(3 weeks ago) which was the worst in Orlando since 1960 and Francis is going to be WORSE!!I am going to Sarasota to my uncles house and I am bringing my animals except my fish with me.I wish everyone the BEST and I will talk to ya all Whenever I get home.God bless you all
Gary

09/01/04  11:30pm

JOANAVOKES
View Profile

The UVA/UVB will not be a problem for a couple of days or even a week it is just the food . I have plenty of salad supplies and I will feed insects before tha storm and have plenty of fresh salad available. Make sure the veggies are dusted w/ calcium. If you need anything my #’s will be posted for help.
Joan A.

09/01/04  11:53pm

Bassoonman
View Profile

Message To: JOANAVOKES   In reference to Message Id: 134340

I just want to say good luck with that storm! I live in Jersey so I haven’t experienced that bad of storms. Just make sure everyone stays clam and relaxed. It would kill me to leave any of my animals behind, so you people are truely strong... goodluck and stay safe...

09/02/04  03:18pm

Pogos grandma
View Profile

Message To: Bassoonman   In reference to Message Id: 134575

Please take care everybody. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you, your family and your pets. Best of luck!
Amy

09/02/04  06:18pm

Strobe
View Profile

Message To: JOANAVOKES   In reference to Message Id: 134340

Everybody ready?

09/02/04  10:22pm

Cobra 82
View Profile

Message To: Strobe   In reference to Message Id: 134879

As ready as I can get!We decided to stay here in Orlando and ride the stom out.I got my reptiles ready and every thing.Stay safe and talk to ya later,Gary

09/02/04  10:59pm

Cobra 82
View Profile

Message To: Cobra   In reference to Message Id: 134904

Finally got my power back! The hurricane didn’t hit Orlando as hard as the last one.How is everyone else?

09/06/04  08:45pm

Poncho
View Profile

Message To: Cobra   In reference to Message Id: 137853

I think you are the first one back
Are you ready for the next one? I would hate to just be recovering from one when the other is just knocking at your door

09/07/04  03:32am

Cobra 82
View Profile

Message To: Poncho   In reference to Message Id: 138032

I hope the hurricane misses Florida .I dont want it to hit anywhere but that would be better because Florida was hit 2 times already this year,and it isnt even the height of the hurricane season yet.

09/07/04  10:30pm

Cbatusf
View Profile

Message To: Cobra   In reference to Message Id: 138545

Yeah, I hope it misses too. The last I heard it is expected to hit anywhere between the Panhandle and Central FL. :( I wish it would go to Texas b/c they could actually use the rain. lol!
Anyone heard from Joan (aka Joanavokes)? How are you doing, Doug?
~Courtney

09/08/04  06:08pm

Carmelita
View Profile

Message To: Cbatusf   In reference to Message Id: 138903

YES!!!! I am beginning to worry, it has been so long!

Hope you & your families are all SAFE!

I will say a prayer for you all

09/08/04  06:10pm

WildWillie
View Profile

Message To: Carmelita   In reference to Message Id: 138907

Oh well i live in Polk County we got hit by 3 hurricanes and did better then where my dad lived where charlee still (4 months later) has more then have half the town shut down. Half the restraunts are still closed. And Alot a real lot of roofs ripped off and most ppl have a yr wait for a new because not to many contractors. We had alot of dmg here in polk but charlotte got rocked more then anything i ever saw looked like Andrew came thru again..

11/16/04  11:49am

22maz22
View Profile

Message To: Cobra   In reference to Message Id: 134329

what sort of fish do u have if there just tropical you can get special boxes with heat pads please dont leave the fish they will have a nasty ride with the hurricane .but please keep safe everybody my heart is with you all when this happens xxxx

06/01/07  05:13am

Back to Weather & Disaster Emergency Network Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area