Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Water Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Water Snakes Forum

Ace13   Rmrasp   Ace13   Ophiophthalmos   Orc Bow Man   Ace14   Orc Bow Man   Ace14   Ace14   Orc Bow Man   Orc Bow Man   Ace14   Orc Bow Man   Ace14   Orc Bow Man   Tru06   Orc Bow Man   Beltane   Beltane   Orc Bow Man   Joshsnakeman   Jack/tru06   Orc Bow Man   Beltane   Alfreddd   Pitbulllady   Pitbulllady  
 Member  Message

Ace13
View Profile

ALL watersnake owners read this!!!!!!!!!!

okay i found this link that discuss on the subject of thiamanese and says a few of the fish which contain it and a few which dont

thiamanese

i know its saying it about turtle but it also applys the same way with snakes

08/17/05  10:41pm

Rmrasp
View Profile

Message To: Ace13   In reference to Message Id: 445570

What about the tiny little silver guppies that are usually .10 each, or even cheaper? The lady at the pet store said they are not goldfish. Are they okay for my snake?

08/17/05  11:59pm

Ace13
View Profile

Message To: Rmrasp   In reference to Message Id: 445687

no even though they have a slighter lower amount of thaimanese they still have thiamin

if u go down farther on that link it also says how guppies and platies are not really good

08/18/05  12:26am

Ophiophthalmos
View Profile

Interesting.

Thiaminase is an enzyme. Enzymes can be denatured - destroyed - by cooking. I wonder if freezing can do that too?

I used to feed my northern watersnake frozen smelts - which are not in the list at all.

I think freezing a fish would probably denature the thiaminase as well as kill any dangerous parasites.

Goldfish and "ruby reds" are not recommended as food for fish-eating fish like big cichlids either.

02/19/06  11:41pm

Orc Bow Man
View Profile

Message To: Ophiophthalmos   In reference to Message Id: 658100

The nature of the enzyme is changed when kept under very hot or very cold temperatures. Freezing or boiling would change the shape of an enzyme and make it so the reaction in this case the breaking down of Thiamin to not take place.

02/19/06  11:54pm

Ace14
View Profile

Message To: Orc Bow Man   In reference to Message Id: 658128

freezing and boiling really does not work it actually just makes it come out more from inside the cells that it is stored in

03/03/06  06:05pm

Orc Bow Man
View Profile

Message To: Ace14   In reference to Message Id: 676290

That is not true. The ideal temperature for an enzyme is body temperature. Any extremes changes the shape of the enzyme and causes it to no longer make the reaction happen. In this case the breaking down of thiamin. However boiling works better to change the enzyme than freezing.

03/03/06  06:35pm

Ace14
View Profile

Message To: Orc Bow Man   In reference to Message Id: 676344

lol u need to get ur facts straight

03/04/06  12:09am

Ace14
View Profile

Message To: Orc Bow Man   In reference to Message Id: 676344

freezing just makes the enzyme slow down and not be able to harm it does not destroy it it just makes it go dormid till it warms back up and cause more havoc

boiling can and will kill thiamanese but there is no chance of killin every bit which still leads to risks that i know im not willin to take and hope none of u would either

so get ur facts straight before tryin to tell me about watersnakes and their prey and how to make it safe

03/04/06  12:14am

Orc Bow Man
View Profile

Message To: Ace14   In reference to Message Id: 676774

Really? Heres a link to info about enzymes pay special attention to the part about denaturing of an enzyme. Also an enzyme works well under a certain PH as well so in a dead fish the ph may change and also denature the enzyme. The simple truth is you should have learned about the nature of enzymes in 7th grade life science. You obviously didnít do any research and donít know your stuff. Here is the link I will gladly accept your apology.

Nature of an enzyme

03/04/06  12:11pm

Orc Bow Man
View Profile

Message To: Orc Bow Man   In reference to Message Id: 677167

You will notice in the link and any biology book that the denaturing of an enzyme is PERMANENT

03/04/06  12:16pm

Ace14
View Profile

Message To: Orc Bow Man   In reference to Message Id: 677175

and if u notice in it it also says they are not killed they are just altered

and just because it is altered doesnt mean it doesnt have the destructive properties in it destroyed

also in my article youíll notice it also says about freezing so u wont be getting an apology

03/04/06  02:57pm

Orc Bow Man
View Profile

Message To: Ace14   In reference to Message Id: 677429

Permanently altered smart one. You canít kill an enzyme! IT ISNíT ALIVE! You obviously donít know how enzymes work. An enzyme speeds up a chemical reaction. It uses a lock and key fit to lower the activation energy. When it is altered it changes the shape. It no longer fits the lock so it cannot lower the activation energy. An enzyme doesnt have destructive properties smart one. It speeds up the destructive chemical reaction. If it canít fit the lock it cannot speed up the destructive chemical reaction therefore it is permanently useless.

You are just making yourself sound like a fool. ENZYMES CANíT BE KILLED THEY ARE NOT ALIVE IN THE FIRST PLACE.

You are arguing against something that has been scientifically proven! You might as well be arguing that Rattlesnakes have no venom and are harmless.

03/04/06  03:14pm

Ace14
View Profile

Message To: Orc Bow Man   In reference to Message Id: 677458

i know a enzyme isnt alive u idiot lol

and it has to be to a certain temperature for a enzyme to be altered and nobody really knows what that is with thiamanese so dont be tryin to be all smart with me

im just goin on the care of the snake i dont care on the reaction time of a enzyme

so if u decide to convince ppl feeding their snakes frozen or boiled fish then dont blame me when u get blamed

im not goin anymore with this topic i dont want to be fightin with a little smart mouth

03/04/06  03:48pm

Orc Bow Man
View Profile

Message To: Ace14   In reference to Message Id: 677502

Your last post made no sense. Good judgement to not argue with me especially since you are arguing against something that has been scientifically proven! Enough Said! If anything the temperature to alter thiaminase would be lower because it is found in a cold blooded organism. Please tell me what this is supposed to mean.

"so if u decide to convince ppl feeding their snakes frozen or boiled fish then dont blame me when u get blamed"

You sound like you are 7!

03/04/06  04:10pm

Tru06
View Profile

Message To: Orc Bow Man   In reference to Message Id: 677525

Both of you shut the hell up! I went to this forum to get a better understanding of water snake care, not to read a conversation of two nerds arguing!

05/20/06  06:05am

Orc Bow Man
View Profile

Message To: Tru06   In reference to Message Id: 794765

way to bring up a dead and buried post.

05/21/06  12:24am

Beltane
View Profile

Message To: Orc Bow Man   In reference to Message Id: 796040

Doesn`t freezing on boiling the fish also destroy the much needed vitamins in it?

05/24/06  07:43am

Beltane
View Profile

Message To: Orc Bow Man   In reference to Message Id: 796040

Doesn`t freezing or boiling the fish also destroy the much needed vitamins in it?

05/24/06  07:44am

Orc Bow Man
View Profile

Message To: Beltane   In reference to Message Id: 801322

Very interesting idea Beltane. Although I am not sure if it is right or not. I thought about it and we cook most of our food before we eat it and I dont think that it changes the makeup of the food. Although it would destroy bacteria and enzymes in the animals body. We also freeze our food so Iím not to sure the impact of that on the nutritional content. In fact Iíve never really thought about it but you brought up a good point.

05/24/06  08:47pm

Joshsnakeman
View Profile

Message To: Orc Bow Man   In reference to Message Id: 802443

Boiling food does cause many of the nutrients to leave it. That is why when you boil something, the leftover water is usually not clear. All the nutrients are in it.

05/24/06  11:36pm

Jack/tru06
View Profile

Message To: Joshsnakeman   In reference to Message Id: 802745

Thats right, boiling food does cause nutients to leave. Usually when man tries to eat food any way opposite than the way he was intended to (the natural way) he usually falls short of his potential health. This can be applied with animals. For example dogs in the wild dont get heart disease and arthritis but when given processed food under human supervision they do! So my opinion is, if your snake doesínt eat boiled or frozen fish in the wild, then donít feed them that way!

05/25/06  12:04am

Orc Bow Man
View Profile

Message To: Jack/tru06   In reference to Message Id: 802799

Yes I agree. I feed my Watersnakes only live minnows. Just find a fish that is thiaminase free when you feed your snakes.

05/25/06  10:34am

Beltane
View Profile

Message To: Orc Bow Man   In reference to Message Id: 803135

I usually add some nutribal and B1-vitamin to the fish, but still my snakes have had some vitamin-defiencies... The fish has usually been frozen. I have tried to boil the fish once, but my snakes didn`t eat it. Would it be okay to give pinkies to water snakes once a month? I think that could help but I`m not sure can water snakes eat mice.

05/26/06  10:47am

Alfreddd
View Profile

hey guys i caught a baby broad banded water snake he has to be a couple inches long. ive tryed giving him a cricket but i read they dont rlly like them and i tryed lizards to but it was a fail. is it ok if i feed him regular fathead minnows i catch in my lake...... because there is thousands and i heard rosy reds arent to good for them. thanks

09/17/10  03:34pm

Pitbulllady
View Profile

Message To: Ophiophthalmos   In reference to Message Id: 658100

To clarify some things-Smelts ARE high in Thiaminase, and therefore should NOT be fed to a snake. ANY fish which has been frozen, including those which do not contain Thiaminase, should be supplemented with a reptile vitamin powder containing Thiamin(Vitamin B complex), since freezing destroys this essential nutrient. Thiamin IS absolutely essential for life, and should NOT be confused with Thiaminase, which prevents its absorption by an animal’s tissues. Some "Silver-Sides" that are packaged and sold frozen for feeders are actually Smelts, including Hiakari brand, so Buyer Beware applies. San Fransisco brand sells Thiamin-fortified frozen REAL Silver-Sides, which are perfect for snake feeders.

09/19/10  07:46pm

Pitbulllady
View Profile

Message To: Alfreddd   In reference to Message Id: 2175904

Fat-Head Minnows ARE Rosy-Reds, just for the record. Two names, same fish. And yes, they are very high in Thiaminase and should be avoided. I have never seen or heard of any Water Snake eating either insects or lizards. I’ve seem a few babies that would eat earthworms, but most are exclusively fish and amphibian eaters, unless conditioned to eat rodents by scenting the food with fish. Guppies, Mosquito Fish(Gambusia) and Killifish are good, safe feeder fish for small Water Snakes, if you can’t get them to eat scented pinkies.

10/01/10  06:58pm

Back to Water Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area