Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Water Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Water Snakes Forum

Geckolord12   Pitbulllady   Geckolord12   Pitbulllady   Geckolord12   KimboSliceEatsCats   Geckolord12   Alfreddd   KimboSliceEatsCats   Pitbulllady  
 Member  Message

Geckolord12
View Profile

NWS

are they supposed to be aggresive i have one in my backyard and she was bout 40" i picked her up and she didnt try to bite me just sat there

09/07/10  01:26pm

Pitbulllady
View Profile

Message To: Geckolord12   In reference to Message Id: 2174208

NWS

That has been my experience with virtually every Water Snake, of many different species, I’ve ever handled. I’ve only had one-a Yellow-Belly- that was a biter at the start, but even she quickly calmed down and now is very laid-back and gentle. I just got six adult Bandeds the weekend before last as future breeding stock, including a HUGE hypo male that I thought was a female due to his size, and a gorgeous jet-black and blood-red female, who is most likely erythristic(excessive red pigment). All were freshly wild-caught by a "nuisance" wildlife trapper in Horry County, SC. Not ONE has made any attempt to bite or thrash or musk. They all just "sit there", as you said of the Northern you caught, very calm, yet alert. They obviously don’t feel threatened at all. I took two of these to an educational snake presentation I do every Labor Day for my boss’s church(yes, church), and they did just great. Little kids can hold them and I don’t have to worry about the Water Snakes biting. My Corns and Ball Python aren’t even that trustworthy! It really makes me wonder how people who manage to get bitten by a Water Snake are doing to the snakes, seriously, to give these snakes such an awful reputation.

09/08/10  05:01pm

Geckolord12
View Profile

Message To: Pitbulllady   In reference to Message Id: 2174452

NWS

cool are you a christian? cause i am and it would be cool if there were more here

09/08/10  08:48pm

Pitbulllady
View Profile

Message To: Geckolord12   In reference to Message Id: 2174496

NWS

Yes, I am, though I’m not perfect by any means.
One of the things I’ve struggled with over my many years is, of course, the Judeo-Christian notion that snakes are "evil", that they are representatives of Satan, due to the story in the Book of Genesis. I have some very interesting insight on that from a Rabbi who was a historian of the old Testament(which is in the Jewish Torah). He made it quite clear that the original Aramaic text used a word for that creature that simply had no analogous word in the Greek language, the language into which the Bible was first translated, so they used the Greek word for "snake", and later, the Latin word for snake, serpentinus, to name what was certainly no flesh-and-blood animal. In contrast, when the Biblilcal texts really DO refer to snakes, it calls them SNAKES, or even calls them by specific name, like "cobra" or "viper". It does not use the term "serpent" and "snake" interchangeably. Moreover, he believed that the Garden of Eden "serpent" not only wasn’t a flesh-and-blood creature, but was a symbol for the temptations of the many pagan cultures that surrounded the early Hebrews, especially the Babylonians and Assyrians, both of whom worshipped dragons as gods. That’s some handy ammo to have when you are confronted by those who insist that snakes are evil incarnate and that YOU must also be evil to associate with them.
One of my "mentors" in the keeping of snakes happened to have been a Baptist minister, by the way.

09/09/10  09:05pm

Geckolord12
View Profile

Message To: Pitbulllady   In reference to Message Id: 2174679

NWS

Haha just now I’m walking around and out of nowhere there’s a copperhead LOL my lil sis is like ahhhh!!!!! I’m like cool lol

09/10/10  08:31pm

KimboSliceEatsCats
View Profile

NWS

Yea, water snakes are pretty relaxed, unlike the stories I have heard. Must mean they have some sort of higher intelligence compared to other snakes. I caught one and brought it home and as soon as he settled down I was able to pick him up day one without any aggression just alertness. The next day after all of the stress of being caught and handled he ate for me. They seem to adapt to captivity pretty well, I was going to release it after the first feeding but a friend had an interest in it and it now belongs to him and is still calm and is fat and happy. He was bit once, but that is because the feeder fish jumped out of the bowl and when he picked it up the snake came over and missed the fish and bit him. So that is probably one of the few ways to get bit. Its weird why more people dont like them and why they are so unpopular, definately cooler than a corn or kingsnake with just as many pattern mutation posibilities, and in the wild they are calm so through a couple of cbb generations they are probably saints......

09/17/10  03:57pm

Geckolord12
View Profile

Message To: KimboSliceEatsCats   In reference to Message Id: 2175909

NWS

hah

09/17/10  04:09pm

Alfreddd
View Profile

NWS

can i feed my baby banded water snake Fat-head minnows or do they have to much thiamine or whatever. i catch them in my lake.

09/18/10  09:33am

KimboSliceEatsCats
View Profile

Message To: Alfreddd   In reference to Message Id: 2176029

NWS

im pretty sure fathead minnows have thiamanese, it will not hurt your snake in a short term period but will shorten its life, try to find something else, where do you live?

09/18/10  11:10am

Pitbulllady
View Profile

Message To: Alfreddd   In reference to Message Id: 2176029

NWS

"Fat-head" minnows are the same thing as "Rosy Reds" sold in pet shops, and they are VERY high in Thiaminase. For an adult snake, this would not be bad on occasion, but for a growing baby, it would be very bad news in very short order. Try guppies, Gambusia(Mosquito Fish), Killifish, small Sunfish, all of which, with the exception of guppies, can be caught in most streams or ponds.

09/19/10  07:35pm

Back to Water Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area