Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Water Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Water Snakes Forum

LacrosseKid 87   Pitbulllady   LacrosseKid 87   KimboSliceEatsCats   Pitbulllady   KimboSliceEatsCats  
 Member  Message

LacrosseKid 87
View Profile

Yellow bellied water snake

I want to get into venomous reptiles. Someone told me that I need to get a yellow bellied water snake. The meanest and fastest non venomous snake. And i need to treat it as if it is a venomous snake for one year, and if I go the whole year without getting bit. I’m ready. What is your input on this?

08/05/10  06:33pm

Pitbulllady
View Profile

Message To: LacrosseKid 87   In reference to Message Id: 2167366

I have kept many species of snake, including venomous, and I’m one of the handful of people in this country who actually breeds and sells various Water Snakes. I disagree VERY strongly with anyone who says that the best preparation for keeping "hot" snakes is to get some non-ven or another which has a reputation for being "mean". I’ve currently got over a dozen adult Water Snakes, including a huge gravid female Yellow-Belly, and in my personal(and considerable, I might add)experience, there are no snakes which become tamer, faster, than Nerodia. I will stack every single one of my adults, all wild-caught except for one hybrid, against any Ball Python, Corn, or Boa for gentleness, calmness, etc., all the traits that make a good pet snake. I have more hesitation against picking up a wild Corn than a wild Water Snake, since I’ve been bitten by way more Corns.
As the snake becomes quickly accustomed to being around humans, and settles down, YOU will become complacent about handling it, and this is NOT a good thing if that snake is venomous. In the back of your mind, you will always know that even if the snake DOES bite, you will not be harmed, which is not the case with a venomous snake. This is like telling someone to ride a merry-go-round to prepare themselves for riding a wild bucking bronc at the rodeo-NO comparison whatsoever!
If you want to get into "hots", get yourself a Copperhead. You will always know that it is venomous, even though it wont’ KILL you if you get bitten. It’s still easier to care for than a Water Snake, which does have some specialized care requirements, and unlike Water Snakes, Copperheads are easy to hook and will usually stay on a hook all day if you let them. If you can keep a Copperhead for a year without being bitten, then maybe you’ll be ready to "graduate" up to more serious and more deadly venomous species.

pitbulllady

08/07/10  05:24pm

LacrosseKid 87
View Profile

Message To: Pitbulllady   In reference to Message Id: 2167744

Thank you very much. That Is so true. I do want to start with a copperhead. But I also want to get a rattlesnake. Not sure what type though. I feel stupid for not thinking that. You will always know it’s not venomous and be less careful.

08/08/10  01:30am

KimboSliceEatsCats
View Profile

Message To: LacrosseKid 87   In reference to Message Id: 2167815

Pygmy Rattlesnake

08/13/10  10:24am

Pitbulllady
View Profile

Message To: KimboSliceEatsCats   In reference to Message Id: 2169120

Pygmy Rattlers are a good start, but keep in mind that these little firecrackers HAVE killed people, so small or not, they have some potent venom! If someone has the money, they might also want to consider one of the Crotalus lepidus complex, the Rock Rattlers, which are also rather small, usually much milder-mannered than the Pygs, and have a comparatively mild venom...same goes for the Sidewinders, although some of both species tend to be picky eaters, preferring lizards, and often preferring certain kinds of lizards. If you can get one that is CB and eating rodents, though, that’s a good snake to keep. It won’t kill you, but it sure will ruin your week if you get careless! Plus, it’s tough to beat the smaller western Rattlers like C. lepidus or C. mitchelli for looks.

pitbulllady

08/21/10  03:56pm

KimboSliceEatsCats
View Profile

Message To: Pitbulllady   In reference to Message Id: 2170747

Yea they are pretty nasty

08/30/10  09:30pm

Back to Water Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area