Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Water Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Water Snakes Forum

OX   Taterbug   Monitormayham   OX   Gottee guy   Pitbulllady   Corbinscoots   Pitbulllady   Pitbulllady   Starling96   Pitbulllady   Starling96  
 Member  Message

OX
View Profile

Does this look like a banded to you?

I have seen many banded water snakes but none that look quite like this one. The ones that I have seen are dark brown with dark bands all the way across the back, not half way up like this little guy. What do you think? Found in Central Florida. It also has a striped belly, camera died before I could get a pic of it.

Let me know,
Thanks
OX

11/23/09  03:29am

Taterbug
View Profile

Message To: OX   In reference to Message Id: 2097889

I saw one that looked just like that in south la. and never found out what species it was.Sorry good luck.

11/23/09  12:34pm

Monitormayham
View Profile

Message To: Taterbug   In reference to Message Id: 2097966

looks like a realy big cornsnake

11/27/09  03:42pm

OX
View Profile

Message To: Monitormayham   In reference to Message Id: 2099451

She is not very big, fat, but not long. The pic is with her on my lap top. I though it was a corn at first when I first saw it because it was dark. I did have a friend of mine confirm that it is in fact a banded water snake. It just looks so different from all of the others that I have seen. It also has a very calm temperament as well. Which another friend was amazed to see, I guess all of the others that he had seen were more active or aggressive.

12/01/09  09:45am

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: OX   In reference to Message Id: 2100474

Yes, it is a banded. Not broad banded or any of the other subspecies.

01/01/10  08:28pm

Pitbulllady
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 2109915

This is a nice specimen of Hypomelanistic Florida Banded Water Snake(Nerodia fasciata pictiventris). There are several populations in Florida where Hypomelanistic(reduced or nearly-absent black pigment) Bandeds are common. This is a co-dominant genetic trait, and this baby actually is probably a "Super-Hypo", meaning that it is homozygous for the Hypo gene and is not carrying the recessive gene for normal coloration. These are one of the reasons I got into breeding Water Snakes-the untapped potential for so many genetic "morphs" like this.

pitbulllady

04/08/10  03:09pm

Corbinscoots
View Profile

Message To: Pitbulllady   In reference to Message Id: 2139254

there is no such thing as hypo florida banded water snake...
florida bandeds have reon there sides
looks more like a cotten mouth to me
did it bite you ?

06/04/10  12:46pm

Pitbulllady
View Profile

Message To: Corbinscoots   In reference to Message Id: 2153043

There most certainly IS such thing as hypomelanism in Florida Water Snakes, Einstien! This gene has been well-documented by several breeders, including Glades Herp in Bushnell, Florida, Scott Felzer(probably the country’s leading breeder of Garter and Water Snake morphs), Shannon Culp of PA and myself. It has been PROVEN as a co-dominant trait, if that even means anything to you at all. The fact that you would even remotely think that the snake in the photo by the OP "looks like a Cottonmouth" proves that you do not know much, if anything, about snakes. There is absolutely no resemblence whatsoever between that snake and a Cottonmouth! Anyone can clearly see that this snake has ROUND pupils, NOT a vertical slit which would indicate a venomous snake! Here is a good photo of a REAL juvenile Cottonmouth-note the lack of the characteristic "mask" across the eyes on the snake in the OP’s photos, as well as the differences in pattern, etc. Before you go trying to argue with Noah about the flood, better make sure you’ve got yourself a really good life preserver, kid!

pitbulllady

08/07/10  05:49pm

Pitbulllady
View Profile

Message To: Pitbulllady   In reference to Message Id: 2167752

Photo of Cottonmouth for comparison to HYPO Banded Water Snake in above post by ME:
http://nas3.er.usgs.gov/taxgroup/reptiles/photos/florida_cottonmouth.jpg

Like apples and oranges.

pitbulllady

08/07/10  05:55pm

Starling96
View Profile

Message To: Pitbulllady   In reference to Message Id: 2167754

are these guys in oklahoma?

05/18/11  10:18am

Pitbulllady
View Profile

Message To: Starling96   In reference to Message Id: 2219760

Oklahoma has Broad-Bandeds(Nerodia fasciata confluens), but I’ve never seen or heard of a hypomelanistic specimen of Broad-Banded. It would look really nice, I’d imagine, since they tend to already have more red on them than normal Southern or FL Bandeds, and with a reduction in black pigmentation, or hypomelanism, the red and yellow pigments stand out even more.

05/24/11  06:27pm

Starling96
View Profile

Message To: Pitbulllady   In reference to Message Id: 2220839

yea there pretty
i caught a big one that was really black

05/27/11  05:56pm

Back to Water Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area