Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Water Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Water Snakes Forum

Valllllllllllll   Thejaxonator   Hey BrutusBites!   Amphibiandude   Cornsnake chris   Matrix   Nathaniel henline   Bobomb10   Pitbulllady  
 Member  Message

Valllllllllllll
View Profile

I think its a brown water snake. help

im pretty sure this is a brown water snake.. how should i make the enviroment, wat should i feed it. ect ect. please help. thanks

08/05/09  03:20am

Thejaxonator
View Profile

Message To: Valllllllllllll   In reference to Message Id: 2051232

im not for sure about the species but get a 20-50 gallon tank and just like another snake dont make it aqautic just a large wather bowl and no heat rocks and feed it appropitely sized mice

08/06/09  12:45pm

Hey BrutusBites!
View Profile

Message To: Thejaxonator   In reference to Message Id: 2052021

They do not eat mice straight off. You need to scent them with dead/live fish. The majority of their diet should be minnows, rosy reds, guppies, frogs, toads, tadpoles, and if you can entice it to eat mice, that’s great.

08/13/09  10:14am

Amphibiandude
View Profile

Message To: Hey BrutusBites!   In reference to Message Id: 2056064

pr you could not take a snake from the wild and just get a water snake off the other snakes classifieds on kingsnake

08/20/09  09:40pm

Cornsnake chris
View Profile

Message To: Amphibiandude   In reference to Message Id: 2061151

Yes it is a brown watersnake but they dont eat mice.fish n frogs make up thier diet n once they calm down in captivity they make a good snake as a pet dispite what people may say about watersnakes they r very mellow. The tank should be set up close to thier habitat a big water bowl n alot of thick branches watersnakes like to bask. Ive had just about every specie of watersnake n enjoyed them but they seem to deficate more then other species beware. good luck n enjoy..

08/20/09  10:23pm

Matrix
View Profile

well to me its seems to look like a lake eriee water snake and thay are an endangerd spiesis and are illegal to have im not forsure but that is what it looks like

08/29/09  05:58pm

Nathaniel henline
View Profile

that is a pretty snake i have never seen 1 like that but we have 5 nrothern bandit water snakes 5pytohons and 2 redtails the water snake usly eat minos and they will eat pinkes but if e dont eat the pinky take it and rub the fish on it and it should eat it then and u might have 2 do that a couple of times then it will just eat the pinkys

03/04/10  12:33am

Bobomb10
View Profile

i do not no.

03/04/10  06:58pm

Pitbulllady
View Profile

This is a Brown Water Snake, Nerodia taxispilota. I keep and breed many Nerodia species, yet I’ve found this to be one of the most difficult. While I’ve gotten most others to readily accept scented, and later unscented, rodents, I’ve never had a Brown do this. In fact, I’ve never even had a Brown that would take anything other than live fish swimming around in their water bowls, and some are pickier than that, and will only eat certain kinds of fish or amphibians.

Some of the other posters are right, though, in that you should NEVER keep any Nerodia in an aquatic or semi-aquatic enclosure, since in spite of their name, these snakes are very sensitive to moisture and very succeptible to "blister disease", a skin infection that is often fatal.

One person suggested buying a Water Snake off Kingsnake.com and mentioned how "bad" it was to take them from the wild; perhaps they didn’t know that with the exception of myself and a small handful of individuals, there are NO breeders working with captive-bred Water Snakes in the US. Virtually all the Water Snakes offered for sale anywhere are wild-caught. These snakes have a very undeserved reputation for being vicious and nasty and many snake breeders have shied away from them. For those of us who are breeding captive animals(and I will probably not have any babies this year, since I’m concentrating on breeding my Boas this season), our only source of breeding stock IS wild-caught animals at this point, since the captive population is still very low.

pitbulllady

04/08/10  03:05pm

Back to Water Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area