Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Water Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Water Snakes Forum

Gottee guy   Gottee guy   Reptilefreak23   Gottee guy   Reptilefreak23   Reptilefreak23   Gottee guy   Gottee guy   Reptilefreak23   Gottee guy   Gottee guy   Gottee guy   Reptilefreak23   Gottee guy   Gottee guy   Gottee guy   Gottee guy   Reptilefreak23   Gottee guy  
 Member  Message

Gottee guy
View Profile

Underweight

one of my water snakes (small banded) needs more weight on it, fast.
when i went on vacation for a month in june,the pet """carers""" didn’t feed the water snakes for a MONTH!(as far as i know).they were all a bit skinny,but this one was very skinny. i tried to feed them every 2-4 days of fish,toads,and tadpoles.all the water snakes are mostly healthy now (apart from one slightly skinny tail,and this one). i try to feed this one the most toads and fish but it has not seemed to gain any weight,it actually looks like it has got a bit skinnier!
i don’t know, but if it has bad parasites is there any way i can get rid of them and get him gaining more weight?
and is there any food i can give it to gain wieght? i will try scented pinkies tonight.
i am trying very hard to find large frogs but most have started to hibernate,plus there is an ENORMOUS amount of mosquitos in the stream from all of the hurricanes.in less then 10 seconds of being down there there were already 17 mosquitos on my legs and surrounding me,it is that bad!so i’m reluctant to go down there to set a minnow trap.

09/12/08  09:23pm

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1858082

Underweight

i caught a minnow and scented a pinkie.he can just swallow the f/t pinkie,but should i put anything to help gain weight in the pinkie?

09/13/08  10:10am

Reptilefreak23
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1858405

Underweight

Well... try more than one pinky... but when they are F/T they can not be gutloaded and as healthy as live ones.
If all possible I would use lIve ones.
Good Luck
ps you could just dust suplements on mouse but other than that I dont think theres really another way to ’Fatten them up’

09/13/08  10:39am

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: Reptilefreak23   In reference to Message Id: 1858424

Underweight

he ate 2 pinkies + a tadpole and large minnow.
so how long do you think it will take him to get better if i keep feeding 4 pinkies and 4 minnows a week?

09/14/08  09:52am

Reptilefreak23
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1859218

Underweight

lol real fast. Maybe not 4 pinkies a week. Try 3 at the most or 2 and a couple minnows

09/14/08  04:06pm

Reptilefreak23
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1859218

Underweight

sry I didnt explain, It would fatten him up But im concerned about clogage, constipation etc...

09/14/08  04:08pm

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: Reptilefreak23   In reference to Message Id: 1859469

Underweight

i know what you mean..

okay i was at my mom’s house (away from the reptiles) for 3-4 days. when i came back i was horrified to see my water snake even skinnier and it either looks like its shedding or puffy scales! i will post pics asap.
he ate 2 scented pinkie mice before those 4 days. i tried for 2 hours to get him to eat a scented pinkie today, when he finally get it 3/4 in his mouth, he spit it out. he ate 5 small-medium minnows today.
my mom’s friend is a vet so she will probably help but is there anything i can do in the meantime?
i’m now 95% sure it has parasites.
are there any ways possible to get rid or stop these parasites with household mixtures?
i think green tea was one? a salt solution?
i have been feeding it a ton in the last few weeks.

09/26/08  07:32pm

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1868924

Underweight

i just figured out it also might have RI.

how am i supposed to bring it to full health?

this is its sick cage. i used strong dish soap, hand soap, and hand sanitizer on everything in that cage (except the newspaper), even the live plant.
i put neosporin all on the snake.

as you can see there is a large weight loss(compare the 2nd and 3rd pics).

this camera sucks at my mom’s house.

also, i read that to partially treat parasites, don’t let the snake soak in water. only let it have enough water so that its head can go into, but with RI i read it can be caused by dehydration, and to soak the snake in water?
which do i do?

before

after

09/27/08  01:23am

Reptilefreak23
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1869132

Underweight

RI can go down with raised temps. But def. GET TO vet.
Good luck with him

09/27/08  01:07pm

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: Reptilefreak23   In reference to Message Id: 1869296

Underweight

i did some research and saw what you said, so i put the heating pad (used for people, i don’t buy special ones) on low.

i also did some research on scale rot. it said to pur lots of neosporin on the snake(which i did) and mix a 50/50 of water and hydrogen peroxide on the infected area.but, what is hydrogen peroxide?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Link

09/27/08  07:23pm

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1869513

Underweight

i checked the mouth, no mouth rot.
no yellow mucus in the mouth.

but i can definitly hear RI symtoms(clicking).

09/27/08  07:31pm

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1869520

Underweight

okay,nevermind all my other posts. i think i got everything straight.

he has RI because i can hear clicking sounds. i highered the temps overnight.
i think it also has parasites because of how skinny it is.
i don’t know about scale rot,maybe, but why take the chance? i put a 50/50 of hydrogen peroxide on the snake and neosporin on it.

no yellow or green mucus in the mouth. his mouth is pink. he eats about 5 small or medium f/t wild minnows a day, on average. he has stopped eating whole pinkies. i clean out water bowls and defication once a day.

my mom’s friend if a vet and will probably look at him tomarrow.

i will hopefully get a video up tonight on the good camera.

okay, my questions are, should i have a small water bowl (the size of a water bottle cap) or a large water bowl for it to drink from?

09/28/08  10:47am

Reptilefreak23
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1869867

Underweight

I say A larger so he can get more humidity on him

09/28/08  05:48pm

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: Reptilefreak23   In reference to Message Id: 1870103

Underweight

okay, thanks, i don’t think he really has scale rot though. i’ll get some better pics up tonight.
he hasn’t eaten anything today.... i’m very concerned.
is RI contagious?
one of my ribbon snakes died from RI, i found out a couple weeks ago.

09/28/08  07:06pm

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: Reptilefreak23   In reference to Message Id: 1870103

Underweight

also, the raised heat didn’t Work.

09/28/08  07:07pm

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1870167

Underweight

actually it WORKED!!!

his RI is gone!

{i had very warm temps to start off with, the problem is i had to lower the humidity(by secretly putting him in my room...)}

no, he doesn’t have scale rot anymore.

the only problem now is i think parasites and he won’t eat.and hasn’t eaten for 2 or 3 days.

09/30/08  07:29pm

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1871860

Underweight

i went to check up and feed him, he died while trying to shed. the vet said he’s have a slim chance anyway.

10/01/08  09:33pm

Reptilefreak23
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1872805

Underweight

ohhhhhh, im soooooo sry.... You should keep your chin up though, you did every thing you could to save him.
wow,most people let sick snakes die, but you really fought to keep him happy, well im sorry for your loss... he was a stunner.
God Bless!

10/01/08  10:06pm

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: Reptilefreak23   In reference to Message Id: 1872830

Underweight

okay

10/05/08  10:09am

Back to Water Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area