Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Water Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Water Snakes Forum

Squeaky   Gottee guy   Reptilefreak23   Squeaky   Squeaky   Squeaky   Reptilefreak23  
 Member  Message

Squeaky
View Profile

Nerodia sipedon!!!! help please

hello i have had a baby water snake for about a month now... at first all he would eat was fish but now i got him on pinkies... but my question is how do you guys take care of yours? what do you all feed it? just fish and rodents? do they eat night crawlers? here is a pic of when i first got it and then when it shed....

And another question, i fed it two pinkies about a week ago and i also had some fish that he ate too but two days ago he regurgitated it in his water bowl... is was a pink kind of long slimy thing.. why did he do this? i have a basking light for him... he doesnt use it though.. any help would be appreciated...

08/11/08  07:18am

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: Squeaky   In reference to Message Id: 1826797

they eat fish,minnows/guppies/rosy reds,frogs,toads,and pinkies/fuzzies.but you usually have to scent the mice with a fish smell for them to eat it.
you probably fed it too much.
i don’t know about nightcrawlers,i know garters sometimes eat them, but i don’t know about water snakes.
i would change half of the bedding to aspen snake bedding, so half aspen snake bedding half of the dirt you have now.

mine will only eat fish and frogs/toads.

08/11/08  10:01am

Reptilefreak23
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1826858

what gottee said you fed it too much. way to much
I would start feeding it 20 rosy redds a week with an accasional pinky(but the week with the pinky only feed like five fish later on that week)

or you could do a leopard frog diet.
Good Luck!

08/14/08  09:29pm

Squeaky
View Profile

Message To: Reptilefreak23   In reference to Message Id: 1831264

yeah thanks i will do the fish thing for awhile and feed it an occasional pinky and good news... he shed again!!! also i just recently found some leopard frogs i think he would be able to take down so im going to give that a try also.. thanks!

08/20/08  12:36am

Squeaky
View Profile

Message To: Squeaky   In reference to Message Id: 1836853

well today i thought i would try and feed him a small frog but the frog i got seems just a tad bit bigger than my snake but here are pics to determine that...

he is still eating it but hopefully its small enough to eat... its the only small frog i could catch..

08/20/08  04:40pm

Squeaky
View Profile

Message To: Squeaky   In reference to Message Id: 1837349

well he gulped it down! so now i wont have to feed him for atleast a week... but i just hope it wasnt too much for him and he regurges later on... well i will just leave him be and hopefully he stays full. thanks for the hlep everyone. and when he gets bigger i will post some pics!!!

08/20/08  05:00pm

Reptilefreak23
View Profile

Message To: Squeaky   In reference to Message Id: 1837387

nice!
Good luck with him

08/20/08  07:18pm

Back to Water Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area