Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Water Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Water Snakes Forum

MzPattiAnn   Reptilefreak23   Gottee guy   Reptilefreak23   Gottee guy   Gottee guy   Reptilefreak23   Gottee guy   Reptilefreak23   Gottee guy   Okeetee Man   Okeetee Man   KRZSNAKLADY   Mini mo  
 Member  Message

MzPattiAnn
View Profile

Will this snake eat my fish?

I was working on my small pond today and discovered a small snake. Yikes! I don’t like snakes and don’t want this one in my pond. I think it is a banded water snake but not sure so I have attached a photo. Is this a non-venimous snake? Will it try to eat my baby fish? How can I convince it to leave my pond?

Thanks!

08/09/08  01:26pm

Reptilefreak23
View Profile

Message To: MzPattiAnn   In reference to Message Id: 1825006

yes it will best to put it back where you found it
Nice find though
Good Luck!

08/09/08  10:28pm

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: Reptilefreak23   In reference to Message Id: 1825552

yes i’m pretty sure it’s a banded water snake.
nonvenemous.
eats toads frogs and fish.
can’t really convince it to leave unless you take it to another body of water but it should go away in a day or two.
probably.

08/10/08  08:14pm

Reptilefreak23
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1826420

actually gottee I beleive it to be a mud snake

08/12/08  01:22pm

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: Reptilefreak23   In reference to Message Id: 1828355

hmm....maybe.i didn’t think of that. do you have a bit closer head and/or underbelly shots?

08/12/08  06:29pm

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1828730

no, the tail doesn’t look as short and thick as a mud snake’s and doesn’t have a spine, as i can see. it’s head also isn’t as blunt as a mud snake’s.

08/12/08  06:35pm

Reptilefreak23
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1828740

good job I missed that.
But you havent won yet lol
That is not a banded watersnake. Bandeds have a black,yellow,black, red, black,yellow,black, red pattern.
But at the same time I cant find any snake that looks anything like that. so I will do further research

08/14/08  09:26pm

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: Reptilefreak23   In reference to Message Id: 1831258

not the best way to determine a species IMO because of the different morphs,mutations,etc.
i have tons of banded,florida,and broad banded water snakes around here and most look very different.
i looked up all the water snakes i could think of, none looked like that more than a banded.
they live in florida so it could only be a few species of water snakes-the broad banded,brown,banded,florida green,plainbelly,salt marsh,or southern.
well, not really just a few lol but
definitly doesn’t look like a brown,florida green,plainbelly,salt marsh,and of course not a r.r. rigida,n.s. sipedon,or e. enhydris.
so that leaves it is either a southern,banded,or broad banded.

08/15/08  02:26pm

Reptilefreak23
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1831889

thats the exact conclusion I came too.
and then I did more extensive research in tons of reptile field guides books etc... and found nothing.
Then I went on the internet and found some broad bandeds that look very simaler in pattern and I remembered that they dull in color with age so I suspect its a broad banded.
But....THE WORLD MAY NEVER KNOW! *gasp*

08/15/08  05:44pm

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: Reptilefreak23   In reference to Message Id: 1832097

o

08/15/08  08:55pm

Okeetee Man
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1832287

Its a southern...
Blargh lol

-Nate

09/02/08  08:50pm

Okeetee Man
View Profile

Message To: Okeetee Man   In reference to Message Id: 1849910

Or a florida banded water snake
subspecies of the banded water snake
Hope i helped

-Nate

09/02/08  08:51pm

KRZSNAKLADY
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1828730

My husband found 2 water snakes trying to eat our koi in our water garden. At least we think they are water snakes. They have brown and gray bands with a white belly covered with rust colored patches (spots). We live in Illinois. Does this sound right? What kind of trap can we purchase to trap and move them to another location? Yesterday was the first day he spotted one. It had pulled a good size fish out of the pond and onto the side of it. Today the two were working together to eat another good sized fish. My husband said that it appeared that one snake had gotten it out of the pond and was sharing it with the other snake. They had the fish pulled clear up to the top of the blocks to the water fall. (A good 2 ft high, if not more). He said that it was amazing. We like snakes, but our grandsons are living with us and we don’t want them messing with them, and we don’t want our fish devoured. Thanks for any input you can give me.

05/12/09  09:28pm

Mini mo
View Profile

Message To: MzPattiAnn   In reference to Message Id: 1825006

yes its a banded water snake and its non venomous.oh and ya it eats fish but it also eats frogs lizereds.its harmless though.it will probably leve on its own.nice find thogh

06/13/09  11:35am

Back to Water Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area