Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Water Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Water Snakes Forum

Watersnake??   IGUANACRAZY   IGUANACRAZY   Mampam   Link24   Mampam   Blackmamba88   Reptilefreak23   Fillerbunny   Fillerbunny   Kiddiemenumeal   Blackmamba88   Tenten~   Tenten~   Gottee guy   ReptiGal94   Tactic10   ReptiGal94  
 Member  Message

Watersnake??
View Profile

What kind of snake is this?

My husband found this snake in the road near a creek and thought it was a stick. It was a lone baby, and I think it is a water snake. It has been eating fish on a weekly basis for about 3 months. We are scared of snakes, but I am so curious and amazed that I can’t seem to turn it away. It swims and stays submerged for long periods of time. It is about 8-12 inches long (I’m not getting it out to measure), and 3 days ago it shed it’s skin (forgive that I don’t know the terminology). How can you tell if it is a water snake, is poisonous, or aggressive? It coils up occasionally, but never strikes. What kind of habitat would be ideal if Splash (mine daughter’s name for the snake) stays around for a longer period of time? Thanks for the help!

11/29/07  11:04pm

IGUANACRAZY
View Profile

Message To: Watersnake??   In reference to Message Id: 1530602

looks like a yearling northern water snake. might be wrong but definetly a water snake
a colubrid.. related to garter snakes and king snakes
the eyes are close to the top of the head. and oval shaped head. all venomus snakes in north america except for the coral snake have eliptical eyes (cat style eyes)
non venomus
they can be aggressive...

large water bowl, dirt, rocks, hides, plants... they can get pretty big 3 to 5 feet. so a 30 gallon tank will do. plastic tubs work great. uvb lights
they also eat frogs worms, slugs, salamanders, and can eat rodents

75 degrees air temp with a 90 degree hot spot for basking... 55 percent humidity more or less

hope i helped some

11/30/07  12:23am

IGUANACRAZY
View Profile

Message To: IGUANACRAZY   In reference to Message Id: 1530693

or a banded water snake

11/30/07  12:25am

Mampam
View Profile

Message To: Watersnake??   In reference to Message Id: 1530602

hes soooooooooooooooooo cuuttee!!

i found a baby water snake once, but im not allow to keep snakes

01/31/08  10:20pm

Link24
View Profile

Message To: Mampam   In reference to Message Id: 1603916

you should let it go it is a wild snake and belongs in the wild it is cruel to capture a snake and keep it your taking his life away go buy one if you want a snake you wouldn’t like someone capturing you and locking you up just because it is a snake makes no difference

02/13/08  09:37am

Mampam
View Profile

Message To: Link24   In reference to Message Id: 1621946

go away

02/16/08  09:53pm

Blackmamba88
View Profile

Message To: Mampam   In reference to Message Id: 1626599

it a norther watersnake the pattern goes brown copper brown in a rotating patern

07/08/08  01:40pm

Reptilefreak23
View Profile

Message To: Blackmamba88   In reference to Message Id: 1787069

NORTHEN WATER SNAKE

and water snakes ARE NOT closly related to kings. its garters they are losly related to.

07/08/08  03:54pm

Fillerbunny
View Profile

Message To: Link24   In reference to Message Id: 1621946

Quote:

you wouldn’t like someone capturing you and locking you up just because it is a snake makes no difference

do you own any pets cuz you should realize ALL ANIMALS WE KEEP AS PETS WERE TAKEN FROM THE WILD wake up and give me a break I dont wanna start the same old debate but it aggravates me how you act like its the same thing as capturing a human and locking them up I have all cb snakes, I agree that there is too many cb snakes on the market but guess why its because there is so much demand for snakes and again all breeder can trace their cbs back to wcs so why is it ok for them to take what they want out of the wild and not anyone else, you tell ppl its soo wrong yet you dont complain when a new morph is found in africa, swiped and then forced to live its life in a breeder tank probably only containing a water bowl and some newspaper thats okay with you but its not ok for someone to find a snake they really like and try to give it the best equipped cage with hides and branches and whatever else maybe they wanna have the money the save from buying a snake so that they can bring theirs to the vet, I just dont see how you can own an animal then go and say its wrong to get an animal from the wild unless its very common animal on the market like kings or garters or ball pythons personally I have never been to a pet store that sell northern water snakes

As for the capturer you should do as much research as possible on this species and be 100 percent sure you can meet every need thats the only way I could agree with you keeping that snake

07/10/08  03:56pm

Fillerbunny
View Profile

Message To: Fillerbunny   In reference to Message Id: 1790053

actually one of my snake was wc i believe but i bought him from a pet store so why is it better for petstores to take wild snakes and then sell them but not ok for me to get it myself??

07/10/08  06:18pm

Kiddiemenumeal
View Profile

Message To: Fillerbunny   In reference to Message Id: 1790238

looks like a northern water snake to me

07/10/08  11:48pm

Blackmamba88
View Profile

Message To: Kiddiemenumeal   In reference to Message Id: 1790698

Its definitly a norther watersnake as you can see by the rotating patern

07/11/08  01:14pm

Tenten~
View Profile

Message To: Blackmamba88   In reference to Message Id: 1791236

I agree with everyone else.

It’s a snake.
lolz Yeah, but I also think it’s a Northern Banded, and no it’s not venomous. If you plan on keeping it suggest trying to hold it so it doesn’t become overly aggressive though. You can also try feeding it a pinky mouse every week or two and that would probably keep him more filled up than fish. You can get them at most local pet stores but I think Petsmart and Petco and other stores like that sell them frozen. Other than that, good luck if you keep the little guy! ^.^

07/19/08  12:18am

Tenten~
View Profile

Message To: Tenten~   In reference to Message Id: 1801428

Er, sorry regarding my last post. Petsmart and Petco don’t sell feeder mice and rats. I forgot. But most local pet stores will.

08/02/08  01:51pm

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: Tenten~   In reference to Message Id: 1817060

petco sells live mice and petsmart sells frozen mice.

08/02/08  04:09pm

ReptiGal94
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1817186

I was pretty sure that petsmart and petco don’t sell mice, or at least not as feeders.

08/07/08  10:28pm

Tactic10
View Profile

Message To: ReptiGal94   In reference to Message Id: 1823479

Yea, pet smart wants $10 for 4 frozen mice >.< i would rather travel 10 miles to get 10 live mive for $5

08/08/08  06:10am

ReptiGal94
View Profile

Message To: Tactic10   In reference to Message Id: 1823720

Yeah, when i last went to petsmart when i still had my ball python, I brought her in with me and asked for a mouse and one of the employees said that if I was going to feed it to my snake that they wouldn’t sell it to me.Wtf.

08/08/08  05:31pm

Back to Water Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area