Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Water Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Water Snakes Forum

Nailedeinct   Gottee guy   Gottee guy   Nailedeinct   Nailedeinct   Gottee guy   King of sSNAKESs   Nailedeinct   King of sSNAKESs   R]azz  
 Member  Message

Nailedeinct
View Profile

BEST WAY TO RELOCATE WATER SNAKES FROM OUR POND

LAST YEAR WE BROUGHT OUR POND BACK TO LIFE. WE HAVE INTENDED TO USE THE AREA FOR SWIMMING,CAMPING AND FAMILY PICNICS. WITH THAT BEING SAID, WE NOW ARE VERY AWARE OF THE WATER SNAKES THAT ALSO LOVE THE AREA. I HAVE READ WHAT I CAN ABOUT THEIR ENVIRONMENT.I COULD USE SOME GOOD ADVISE. HERE’S THE SITUATION. THE FIRST ONE WE FOUND IS APPROX 3 1/2-4’ LONG BASKING ON THE BEACH IN THE SUN. WE ALSO HAVE SOME 18-24"LONG AND 10-12". IT LOOKS LIKE WE HAVE 2 NEW LITTERS. HOW OLD WOULD YOU GUESS THEY WOULD BE? FROM WHAT I’VE READ AVERAGE LITTER IS 15 SO WOULD I BE PRETTY SAVE IN SAYING WE PROBABLY HAVE APPROX 30? THEY ARE LIVING IN AN ABANDONED MUSKRAT HOME . WE HAVE FILLED IN THIS AREA WITH PLENTY OF ROCKS OVER THE LAST FEW YEARS. I THINK THEY LOVE IT THERE!! WE HAVE MANY SMALL GRANDCHILDREN AND ARE VERY CONCERNED ABOUT THERE SAFETY. THE SNAKES ARE VERY TERRITORIAL AND QUITE AGGRESSIVE WHEN YOU’RE NEARBY THERE HOME WHICH HAPPENS TO BE RIGHT NEXT TO THE BEACH. WE ARE ALSO BUILDING A STONE WALL OPPOSITE THIS AREA WHICH WE DON’T WANT THEM TO OCCUPY EITHER. I WOULD LIKE TO CAPTURE AND RELOCATE WE HAVE A GREAT (VERY LARGE) POND ABOUT 10 MILES AWAY. IS THIS REALISTIC? ALSO WHERE AND WHEN WILL THEY GO INTO HIBERNATION? WE ALSO HAVE A BLUE HERON THAT OF COURSE HAS NOW EATEN MOST OF THE FISH AFTER WE STOCKED. ARE THEY A NATURAL PREDATOR TO THE SNAKES?Bold]

08/21/07  07:26pm

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: Nailedeinct   In reference to Message Id: 1413576

dont relocate them just dont let the grandchildren near the burrow (or rocks)because the snakes have territories and what will the babies do??????i hope you know if you do that they will just come back or others will move in. and yes herons do eat them. the water snakes also eat fish as the socond major food source, and frogs and toads the first option.so i would not recomend moving them because for another reason i thought the herons were eating all the fish. what do they look like? show a pic if you can.

08/21/07  08:07pm

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1413654

i think they start hibernation in a few weeks when it gets cool. it depends where you live.

08/21/07  08:11pm

Nailedeinct
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1413654

THANK YOU FOR RESPONDING.. THE BURROW IS TOO CLOSE TO THE BEACH AND THE SNAKES ARE IN RIGHT THERE. IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO SEPARATE THE CHILDREN FROM THE BURROW AREA. I THOUGHT THE BABIES WERE SELF-SUFFICIENT ?? HOW OLD DO YOU THINK THEY ARE? THE PLAN WAS TO RELOCATE AND TAKE UP THE ROCKS AND FILL IN WITH CLAY TO DISCOURAGE NESTING . IF OTHERS MOVE IN THEY WILL HAVE OTHER MORE REMOTE AREAS TO NEST IN. OH YES WE HAVE VERY FEW FROGS THIS YEAR!! I’M SURE THEY’RE FEEDING VERY WELL!! ARE YOU WANTING A PIC OF THE HERON OR THE SNAKES?

08/21/07  09:03pm

Nailedeinct
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1413658

THANK YOU FOR RESPONDING.. WE ARE IN CT. THAT IS WHAT I THOUGHT DOES IT HAVE TO DO WITH THE WATER OR AIR TEMP .I COULDN’T GET MUCH INFO ON THIS. DO YOU THINK A REPELLENT WOULD BE ANY GOOD TO SEND THEM SOMEWHERE ELSE FOR THE WINTER THEN WHEN SPRING COMES THEY’LL HAVE NEW QUARTERS FOR THEIR YOUNG? I APPRECIATE ANY HELP/ADVISE I CAN GET

08/21/07  09:09pm

Gottee guy
View Profile

Message To: Nailedeinct   In reference to Message Id: 1413750

ok send a pic. if you put clay in the burrow you might cover a baby or an egg. some reptiles are not self sufficiant.ct????repelent might kill them!!!!! if anything relocate them in the spring but where do u live i need to no the kind of snake to see if it can give a severe bite or not even a bite. send a pic.

08/22/07  07:19pm

King of sSNAKESs
View Profile

Message To: Gottee guy   In reference to Message Id: 1415074

Ok heres how its gonna turn out, whether its what you want or not.
If you have sen a baby and an adult, you have a full population. It is virtually impossible to get rid of them. If a single pair is left, youll end up with more babies. The heron wont eat the snakes, but the snakes will eat your fish.

IF they arent venomous, then just leave them be, cuase you have a very small chance of clearing them out, and also, if you didnt put them there, then they came from another pond or stream, and if you remove the current population, more will come, think of them as part of the habitat, they wont hurt the kids.

The watersnakes will also keep the fish population low, as long as your fish breed. many people would love to have a pond with snakes in their backyard. I know I would. Enjoy them, watch them, they wont do any harm. And trust me, if they arent venomous, dont worry. My younger siblings would always go swimming at our cottage lake, filled with northern watersnakes. When we discovered them, and the 8 year old got bitten, he cried. Then he bragged. getting bitten suddenly gives kids bragging rights. "Oh ya, I went to the cottage, and i got bit by a snake! See? Look at the little cut on my foot!"

just dont try to catch them, but make it a neat treat for the kids to see them while on a picnic.

The snakes will not disturb your plans for picnics, swimming, and other such sports.

08/30/07  02:37pm

Nailedeinct
View Profile

Message To: King of sSNAKESs   In reference to Message Id: 1425679

thank you so much you make alot of sense to me and it is reassuring to say the least

09/01/07  12:13pm

King of sSNAKESs
View Profile

Message To: Nailedeinct   In reference to Message Id: 1428050

no problem.

10/16/07  09:34pm

R]azz
View Profile

Message To: Nailedeinct   In reference to Message Id: 1413750

YOU KNOW, YOU DON’T HAVE TO USE ALL CAPS. IT DOESN’T PORTRAY URGENCY, IT JUST MAKES YOU LOOK FOOLISH.

03/22/08  11:52am

Back to Water Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area