Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Water Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Water Dragons Forum

Greendragons   Babigirl_70   Momo   M16ac   Greendragons   Greendragons   Babigirl_70   Greendragons   Evanoake  
 Member  Message

Greendragons
View Profile

Eco earth substrate

How many people out there use that stuff.. Is it good to use? Also for those that use it do you ever get these lil white mite like bugs? What are they?

05/02/04  11:16pm
Sorry, No Replies

Babigirl_70
View Profile

Message To: Greendragons   In reference to Message Id: 68779

Eco earth substrate

I used the ESU Jungle Mix for awhile and I noticed a little white bug crawling on my dragon and I bought some mite spray just to be safe, and I haven’t seen one since. But, I was having problems with that substrate getting too wet from my fogger, so now I use the Exo Terra Jungle Earth. When I asked people about this I was told they could also be fruit flies. I don’t think it’s anything to be too worried about. You may try the mite spray though, just to be on the safe side. And you may want to try and disinfect the cage furniture as well. Just an idea.

05/03/04  3:25pm
Sorry, No Replies

Momo
View Profile

Message To: Babigirl_70   In reference to Message Id: 68930

Eco earth substrate

I used to use that stuff, it was great for a while but if you feed your dragon crickets, they LOVE to breed in it. I had to throw away my dragon’s old perch because it was infested with them. So the white bugs may actually be baby crickets. If this is the case, you could control their breeding (Tricia’s Water Dragon Page has some good tips) and not worry about buying them any more! I also had a problem with the earth substrate because Tsunami got some of it in his eye after digging around in it all the time. But hey, these things asre different for everyone.....

05/04/04  8:04am
Sorry, No Replies

M16ac
View Profile

Message To: Greendragons   In reference to Message Id: 68779

Eco earth substrate

If they are mites you have to get rid of them. I had a lizzard die because of them. There is a very good site that tells you how to get rid of them. http://www.anapsid.org/mites.html
My first lizard dies because the pet store that sold him to me did not treat the mites and it had already began to kill the lizard when I got him. My mites were little red bugs, but go to the site it will tell you all about mites.
-Matt

05/04/04  10:01am
Sorry, No Replies

Greendragons
View Profile

Message To: M16ac   In reference to Message Id: 69242

Eco earth substrate

These are lil white mites with legs. In the last tank I had a problem with crickets breeding so I moved all of them that I could to a breeding tank just for them. Then compltetly broke down the tank and washed everything in a small diluted hot bleach water , then rinsed rinsed rinsed in hot hot water. I put everything back in and added eco earth. Now I got these lil bugs everywhere I look in here. Its very moist, all I can think of is that somewhere on the eco earth it states that it breaks down waste? How can just coconut fiber break down waste? I already watched these things eat a dead cricket in a matter of days!!! This is scarey....what substrate should I replace this stuff with that will hold moisture just as well if not better without the bugs? GD

05/05/04  7:08pm
Sorry, No Replies

Greendragons
View Profile

Message To: Greendragons   In reference to Message Id: 69818

Eco earth substrate

they arent flat either and rather easy to see.. Like little white balls like fat white ticks. So far I havent seen any crawling on him, he is still shedding so I am watching like a hawk. I am glad he isnt anywhere near my other dragon..GD

05/05/04  7:36pm
Sorry, No Replies

Babigirl_70
View Profile

Message To: Greendragons   In reference to Message Id: 69831

Eco earth substrate

I would recommend the Exo Terra Jungle Earth. I’ve been using this for a few weeks now, and I like it much better then the stuff I had before. It will get a little moist around the water bowl (especially if you have a fogger), but this is expected. It does pretty good keeping the humidity up where it should be. You can get this at Petco or Petsmart, and I’m sure just about any other pet store as well. As far as the little mite looking bugs that you have, I wouldn’t take any chances with them. I would recommend disinfecting his viv along with everything in it. I hope this helps. Good luck.

05/06/04  10:13am
Sorry, No Replies

Greendragons
View Profile

Message To: Babigirl_70   In reference to Message Id: 70055

Eco earth substrate

I called zoo med the maker of eco earth. He said that the process that this stuff goes through shouldnt carry and bugs, but he did say that eggs could survive. He said that they sound like wood mites and they are harmless, and he wished that he had some for his dartfrogs..they are sending me a new brick free, and I am going to just use wet paper towel for the substrate on Luka now. The brick will be used for Einy instead my adult cwd. GD

05/08/04  3:26pm
Sorry, No Replies

Evanoake
View Profile

Message To: Babigirl_70   In reference to Message Id: 70055

Eco earth substrate

i used the exo terra forest substrate they suck dont use them i am going to buy that new jungle earth thanks for the viv the forest substarte made my tank flood cause it didnt hold in the moisture.

05/08/04  6:43pm
Sorry, No Replies

Back to Water Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area