Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Water Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Water Dragons Forum

Millard   Jc5066   Millard   Abe   Millard   Abe   Shannarae2k  
 Member  Message

Millard
View Profile

I just bought a Water Dragon.

I just bought a Water Dragon on Saturday, and I am almost positive it is a female. Anyways, the guy at the pet shop said she was sick, so he gave her to us at a really cheap price. She is a brown color, and it looks like her skin is flaking off. Also, around her mouth, it looks like her skin is coming off, but today, it looks like there are scabs (and it is black in color). One of my friends, who works at another pet store told me I should soak her in Pedialite. I did that yesterday, in my bathtub, with some luke warm water. Her tail started to show the rings (that I assume are supposed to be there), and the green on her stomach is bright, and the lines on her sides started to show. But today, she looks dry again. Also, she always opens her mouth. We put Palo Verde flowers, and she will gobble them right up. We did that because we thought she wouldn’t eat. But, yesterday we bought her some mealworms, and she goes after them. So, we know she can eat. (She bites off their heads, and shakes them, then waits for me to give her another. She’s so cute!) One more thing! On her right front hand, and left back leg, there are bumps, they look really puffy. Almost like they have been broken. Does anyone know what those may be??? Well, anyways, thanks for reading, and I hope someone can help me! I would really appreciate it!

04/13/04  5:14pm
Sorry, No Replies

Jc5066
View Profile

Message To: Millard   In reference to Message Id: 59717

How long is she? Where are the scabs? If they are in the mouth you have mouth rot, you need to see a vet. If they are on the outside you probably have snout damage. Are you keeping the humidity up? Go to this website:

Excellent website.

04/13/04  6:00pm
Sorry, No Replies

Millard
View Profile

Message To: Jc5066   In reference to Message Id: 59749

The scabs are on the outside of her mouth, like on her lips. Like I said, it looks like her skin was falling off, and then I brushed it so it would stick to her skin, and it looks like it is healing the skin back into place. There are about three scabs. I am doing the best I can to keep it warm for her. There is one UV light on one side, that I keep on from like 11-12 noonish, to about 6-7 pmish. Then, after that, I have a regular office/desk lamp, that is on from about 7 till 11/12 am. I also have a heating pad underneath the indoor/outdoor carpeting. She is pretty active, so I am assuming she is staying warm. I also take her outside in the sun, maybe once a day. Half of her cage is by a window, and half by a wall. And.. hm.. yesterday I got a box, with a dish of water and her log, and I took her outside with me. I placed most of the box in the shade, and the other portion in the sun. She seemed to have liked it. (Your link didn’t show). Thanks for the help though!!

04/13/04  6:16pm
Sorry, No Replies

Abe
View Profile

Message To: Millard   In reference to Message Id: 59763

Lol, for a link you just wrote excellent website lol, I hope your wd gets better, looks like you’re looking after her rally well

04/14/04  5:52am
Sorry, No Replies

Millard
View Profile

Message To: Abe   In reference to Message Id: 60085

Thank you, every day she just looks better and better.

04/14/04  4:09pm
Sorry, No Replies

Abe
View Profile

Message To: Millard   In reference to Message Id: 60342

Thats great, I’m glad to hear it

04/14/04  4:10pm
Sorry, No Replies

Shannarae2k
View Profile

Message To: Millard   In reference to Message Id: 59717

Millard,

It sounds like the poor baby didn’t have proper care when he was born. Do you know if he was captive or wild bred? Do you have a photo you may be able to post?

It sounds like the baby may have snout damage on his face from rubbing on his tank. Use some neosporin or other antibiotic ointment every other day to help heal it. If you see that the inside of his mouth is black or red, take him to the vet immediately - he could have mouth rot.

His skin could be flaking off because he is shedding. Make sure you use a mist bottle to moisten the enclosure and make sure you get him really well. This promotes easier shedding.

One of the most important things to remember is that they come from Tropical climates. Their tanks need to simulate that.

Water Dragons need their humidity to be at 70%. If it drops down for a while while you’re not home, thats ok. But for a good portion of the day, their humidity levels need to be at or above 70%. Dragons love water - they often times use their water dish as a bathroom, which is why their water needs to be changed every day. Keep them moist! I recommend the Exo-Terra Ultrasonic fogger ($40.00 Petco/Smart).

The puffyness on the baby’s lags sounds like he may have a little bit of a UV light deffeciency, probably due to improper care until you bought him. You want to see a vet about this ASAP. If not cared for, your baby could develop metabolic bone disease (MBD). To ensure a healthy dragon, make sure your baby gets atleast 12 hours of UVB Light. UVA does nothing. UVB is what your dragon needs. Make sure the UV light goes from 1 end of the tank to the other if possible.

Your dragon will need a basking spot in his tank where the temp will reach between 85-90 degrees. This is normally the highest point of the tank. They will also need a hot and cool side of the tank. The ambient temperature on the warm side should be between 80-85 degrees. The cool side Should be between 75-80 degrees. Water dragons get respiratory infections very easily, and it claims many of their lives. :(. The UV light you have in there may be letting off UV light, but no heat. Look at investing the $15 for a 150 watt spot lamp and a day light ($8.00) from Petco/Petsmart. The UV light and the basking/heat lamp should BOTH BE ON DURING THE DAY. At night, turn off the UV light. His temps will need to be between 70-80 degrees. Get a night or red bulb ($8.00) to regulate the temperatures. The under tank heaters really don’t make a huge difference. Taking him in the sun is GREAT. The natural UV light is great for them. Keep that up.

This is where people make the mistake of getting a dragon. The initial cost is expensive. they have a life span up up to 15 years, and they get big, so plan ahead. They need a tank that will not only keep humidity and temperatures up, but also one which they cannot escape from. A 55 gallon tank is about $150.00 and will last almost until the baby is full grown (3-4 feet). If you need to spend less initially, get a smaller tank, which you can afford, but knowthat you will have to buy a bigger one later on. The best rule to remember is: A dragon needs to have as much room as twice their total length. A box wont due because of the humidity. The Mosture will leak through. The dragon will need to be able to immerse atleast half of his body in water. A small kitty litter pan would work best. The like to climb, they want to be up high, so some driftwood is good. They are like $8.00 at Petco/Smart.

Please take heed. Dragons are such a commitment. Financially, time-wise, and need lots of love and attention. If you don’t think that you can take proper care of the baby, give him to a reptile rescue instead of only giving him half of what he needs.

Take care, and feel free to email me with any questions.

shanna_johnson@rsausa.com

Shanna

04/21/04  1:46pm
Sorry, No Replies

Back to Water Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area