Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Water Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Water Dragons Forum

Dazbo   Claire   TwilightDreamer1979   Dazbo   Sanzo   Abe   Evanoake   Abe  
 Member  Message

Dazbo
View Profile

WD eating darkness beetles?? - from mealworms !

Hi

I have had a few probs with getting my WD to eat. It is very rare that I have seen him eat (Although I have done) and I am just assuming that he is eating what I leave in his tank.

I gave him a house spider, just as an experiment, he ate that straight away !

then again, a few days later, I noticed that one of my mealworms had changed into its beetle form. Again, as an experiment, I put that in front of the WD while he was sat on the sofa - as soon as he saw it, he snapped it up !! Seemed to love it !

I’m only assuming that the beetles are ok for him to eat and was wondering why he wont do that with the mealworms or crickets I put in front of him ???

Could it be that he just doesnt really like the crickets or mealworms ??

Thanks

Darren

01/25/04  3:36pm
Sorry, No Replies

Claire
View Profile

Message To: Dazbo   In reference to Message Id: 28952

How large is your water dragon? Hard shells are never good for little ones.

01/25/04  9:20pm
Sorry, No Replies

TwilightDreamer1979
View Profile

Message To: Dazbo   In reference to Message Id: 28952

There are sometimeS little tinY beetles in the the crickets and locusts I buy for killer - he loves them .. MMM crunchy! lol

I don’t see the harm in them eating what they want as long as it’s in moderation and as long as they get a varied diet.

TD.x.

01/26/04  7:17am
Sorry, No Replies

Dazbo
View Profile

Message To: TwilightDreamer1979   In reference to Message Id: 29179

thanks

My dragon is approx 40cm (15.5") long nose to tail - I dont know how old this means he is but if you do please let me know !

I am going to try and breed these mealworms and if I get beetles then I guess it’s just increasing his variety !!

Thanks

Darren

01/26/04  10:51am
Sorry, No Replies

Sanzo
View Profile

Message To: Dazbo   In reference to Message Id: 29207

I’m trying to get my WD to hunt for his own instead of me hand feeding him, so I put a little eating bowl (for small criters) in there and filled it up with mealworms so she could hunt them. She does not seem to be diging them out so I guess they might turn into beetles? I have them in the stuff they came in (got them at petsmart). If you know how I can get her to eat them out of there by digging, please let me know.
thanks

01/26/04  9:00pm
Sorry, No Replies

Abe
View Profile

Message To: Sanzo   In reference to Message Id: 29480

I remember when I first got Abe, and he didn’t eat any crickets, I was really worried. I then tried him with a worm...........and he ate it straight away. The next thing was a spider...........he ate thet too!!! Then I tried him with crickets, I wasn’t very confident that he would eat them.............But. It was a miraculous moment, I threw in the cricket, it became face to face with its death.........Abe. "SNAP!!" Abe quickly swallowed the cricket before it could say "oh my god, I’m gonna die, NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!" (Sorry about the story-like post, I was feeling very artistic!!!)

02/02/04  1:52pm
Sorry, No Replies

Evanoake
View Profile

Message To: Abe   In reference to Message Id: 31248

my water dragon has darknes beetles but i dunno if he eats them he might but there always seems to be the same number of them i think they arent bad for your wd because they are just adult mealies

02/04/04  2:32pm
Sorry, No Replies

Abe
View Profile

Message To: Evanoake   In reference to Message Id: 32023

yeah, but you never know!!!!1

02/06/04  3:40pm
Sorry, No Replies

Back to Water Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area