Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Water Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Nemesis88   LupercaX   Nemesis88   Zisch  

Member  Message

Nemesis88
View Profile

New CWD owners

Hi there,
My partner and I are about to buy our first Chinese Water Dragon, we have ordered a custom viv which is 4ft long, 6ft high and 2ft deep (its the biggest we could get in the space we have) our question is how many Water dragons could be kept in this size viv? If its only one not the end of the world but ideally we would like two maybe three (mother in law wants one as well now !)
Thanks in advance for you help :)

07/01/17  08:11am

LupercaX
View Profile

Message To: Nemesis88   In reference to Message Id: 2320817

New CWD owners

It’ll depend on genders of the Dragons. It can also depend on the personality of the Dragon. Three females could work. But some females have been reported to be super aggressive towards other females. Two females and one male can also work. You just must observe their behavior towards each other. Are you getting babies? Or are you looking to buy adults? If you buy babies, you could accidentally end up with two males which would have a high chance of not working. But you also could luck out and get three females/ one male two females. If they grow up together they have a better chance at working out!

Good luck! Be sure to post pictures with them in the cage! :)

07/01/17  08:53am

Nemesis88
View Profile

Message To: LupercaX   In reference to Message Id: 2320818

New CWD owners

Yes we were looking at getting babies which makes it all the harder obviously with the sexing issue. If we ended up with 3 female not the end of the world but yeah big concern if we ended up with more than one male. From what age can you get an idea of gender ? Of course I’ll post pics once we’re all set up :) thanks for the reply

07/01/17  11:52pm

Zisch
View Profile

Message To: Nemesis88   In reference to Message Id: 2320824

New CWD owners

Hey,
Do you want to keep the babys in the big terrarium? This wouldn’t work out very well, because they tend to hide alot as babys, what makes it very difficult to look after their health and overall appeareance. Also it’s hard for them to find food in such a big enclosure. If you really want to keep a group of Cwd, I would first raise a baby until its sexable or buy a sexed adult or subadult to get a feeling for the requirements of this species and to make yourself more confident with in the care of these fascinating lizards. Keeping Cwd in groups isn’t that easy, so some keeping experience with a single one is crucial (at least in my opinion). You wouldn’t be really happy, if your dragons turn out to not like each other and injure themself, which most often leads to missing toes and tail tips (very young Cwds can also fight pretty hard if they don’t like each other). So my advise here, would be to start out with a single one and then after a while, maybe look forward to getting a few more and forming a well behaving group of Cwds ;)

P.s. Sorry if my english isn’t the best, I’m from Germany :D

07/25/17  11:42am

Back to Water Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area