Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Water Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Aalias777   Eris   Aalias777  

Member  Message

Aalias777
View Profile

Question on Enclosure Idea

Hello everyone,

My name is Markus. I’ve cruised around this site a fair bit, first for my sav, and now for a water dragon I am hoping to rescue in the near future. Next couple days. I have a basic enclosure set up for the moment (very short moment, 2 weeks max) and I am laying out plans for a larger enclosure. I have some questions, though. First, I’ll run through my idea.

I have a 40 gallon aquarium long. What my sav originally came with. Poor thing. Well, I’ve sanitized it, and I intend to use it as the base for the enclosure for my water dragon, who henceforth shall be known as Iris. Setting up the 40 gal, my intent is to fill it with 4-6 inches of water, with a decent aquarium filter to keep it cleaner longer. Larger gravel on the bottom to help with waste. Live plants. Still doing research on what types, but that’s easy enough to figure out. So, no substrate in the base. From there, every thing goes vertical.
My intent is to build a semi-permanent structure out of pvc, to both extend the overall depth of the enclosure, and massively extend the height. The end product will be 3x3x7. From what I’ve read, that should be more than big enough for a single dragon. Level with the top of the of the aquarium will be a shelf, with a slide ledge. I plan on putting substrate in there, probably organic top soil, for growing more plants. Then, it goes up. The plan is to get a couple decent solid branches in there for her to climb on, some shelving units, possible a hammock. But, my primary concern is what I plan to do for the outside of the enclosure: netting. Good, strong netting. I got the idea from a guy with this rigged, custom build enclosure on youtube, and then from another gentleman who build a strictly pvc enclosure for his chameleon.

Now, my obvious concern is that this netting won’t hold enough humidity. It’s arguably the most expensive item necessary for set up. I’d basically be zip tying it to the pvc frame. My plan is to both set up a rain system with a motor head, as well as a fogger to keep humidity up. I’ll be setting the enclosure up in my ’hot room’, a room designated for a few of the reptiles and my dubia colony, which is kept at a near constant 90 degrees air temp by a room appropriate infrared space heater. Everyone in that room needs similar heat requirements, and it makes the process a little easier. I’m still working on getting the heater on some sort of temp control to drop the temp at night. But, I don’t know that I need to; the leo and the ball python both seem pretty happy, though I warily moved my crestie out of there. Too hot, I read.
Anyway. I know these dragons need crazy humidity requirements; if I have a fogger going constantly, and have a rain system set up on some sort of timer, do you all think it would hold good enough humidity? I’ve read conflicted reports, some saying that if you have an all water bottom where they can fully submerge themselves as often as they like, that 80% requirement can drop a bit. But I don’t know, because I don’t have it set up yet. I can always tweak it later; and I will, if it’s not right.
But, the point of the enclosure is to make one I can do myself, with fairly limited tools, and space. Also, one that is collapsible. My sav enclosure is going to be a god damn nightmare to move out of this place in a year or two. So if you have any other suggestions, please let me know. I would think with a fogger running near constantly, hour on, hour off, and the rain system on a similar spell, with being regularly hosed down (I have a 2 gallon battery operated mister for all my herps. 2 rounds a day minimum.), that even with netting as the primary wall, it would hold proper humidity. If anything, the entire room would hold that humidity. Which, if that’s the case, I’ll just have to move my leopard gecko.

If you have any thoughts on my idea, or would like more details (what I can provide since I haven’t built the damn thing yet), just let me know. I am thinking about making it longer, but that length is just the length of the aquarium at the bottom. I could probably acquire a larger aquarium if that isn’t enough. She’s a female, so I figure she’ll have room to swim around a bit. Alternatively, I could simply extend the pvc farther than the length of the tank, and give her an l shaped base around the water area. I’m open to suggestions.

11/01/16  02:13pm

Eris
View Profile

Message To: Aalias777   In reference to Message Id: 2319721

Howdy Markus!

I cant wait to see your finished enclosure! Sounds like you have it all planned out. BTW, love the idea of having a hot room for your herps too. As far as humidity concern, have you considered using solid panel(s) on a side or back? Like say like Plexiglas? Panels could be placed by drilling holes and zip tie to the frame, thus removable too. With a rain system and/or fogger I would imagine that it would be sufficient, however that may vary with your home’s climate. Keep us posted on how it turns out!

11/07/16  04:58pm

Aalias777
View Profile

Message To: Aalias777   In reference to Message Id: 2319721

Eventually I will likely upgrade to plexiglass. Right now I’m trying to keep it relatively cost efficient. I’ve decided to use the pet screen for netting on the inside, and basic painters plastic on the outside to maintain humidity. It’s durable, clear, and water proof. It’s also cheap. When I can build a more permanent structure for him, as I did find out he is male, I’ll invest in the plexiglass. It’ll be nice for him.

11/11/16  11:46am

Back to Water Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area