Water Dragons Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Water Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

LokiWolf   Bakerzx   LokiWolf   Bakerzx   Caleb.bab9@gmail.com  

Member  Message

LokiWolf
View Profile

Basic Questions on CWDs

So, I’ve been researching reptiles in general for at least three years now, and have yet to purchase my first. I just recently discovered the Chinese Water Dragon, and was wondering if you guys can answer some of my basic questions? (Please no hate, I have never owned ANY reptile)

1. Are they good beginner pets? (I have enough money, space, time, etc.)

2. If handled young, will they be relatively calm and docile? (And are females calmer than males, or vice-versa?)

3. Do they need a small cage as a juvenile? As in, start small and gradually expand to a larger cage? I totaled it up (that way) and it got pretty expensive.

4. Can I feed meal worms? I don’t really like dubia roaches, or crickets, they get loud.

That’s all for now. Any help appreciated. Thank you guys! :)

08/13/16  09:57am

Bakerzx
View Profile

Message To: LokiWolf   In reference to Message Id: 2319286

Basic Questions on CWDs

1. Are they good beginner pets? (I have enough money, space, time, etc.)
*Do you have ANY experience with reptiles and husbandry? If you say, "No.", then I would say start with a bearded dragon. They are the best beginner reptile in my opinion.
If you are dead set on Water Dragons then be prepared for a DEEP pocket. Food alone can get expensive (they are PIGS). Let alone, the enclosures, filters, humidifiers, misters... It’s a trap (fun trap) of bigger, better, healthier, etc.
Beardies are REALLY tame and tolerant. Plus SUPER personal.
Water Dragons are like cats; best way I can describe them. Bearded Dragons are like dogs. Lame description I know, but a nice "easy" way to look at it.

2. If handled young, will they be relatively calm and docile? (And are females calmer than males, or vice-versa?)
*Yes. Like any reptile; constant handling will acclimate them to human interaction. My 2 year old would hold a full grown male water dragon no problem. On the flip side; they can be spazzes that will shred your arms in a New York minute. Be prepared. (I actually clip their nails)

3. Do they need a small cage as a juvenile? As in, start small and gradually expand to a larger cage? I totaled it up (that way) and it got pretty expensive.
*Don’t even go the small and upgrade route. Just build a full size enclosure and let the juvenile roam. They will learn where food is and do just fine. We had two hatchlings in a 7’x6’x3’ enclosure. It will save you in the long run. Enclosures can get EXPENSIVE; even on the low end scale (hundreds to thousands)

4. Can I feed meal worms? I don’t really like dubia roaches, or crickets, they get loud.
*Yes, but they are like the french fries of the insect world. Would you live exclusively on french fries? We love Dubias

That’s all for now. Any help appreciated. Thank you guys! :)
*Welcome to the club and if you need ANYTHING post away. It is involvement that keeps this small community going.

08/16/16  03:11pm

LokiWolf
View Profile

Message To: Bakerzx   In reference to Message Id: 2319304

Basic Questions on CWDs

Thanks! I will keep posting, for sure. I still have a ton of research to do! :)

08/16/16  03:41pm

Bakerzx
View Profile

Message To: LokiWolf   In reference to Message Id: 2319306

Basic Questions on CWDs

You and me both!
It’s an addiction; at least for me.

08/16/16  05:13pm

Caleb.bab9@gmail.com
View Profile

Message To: LokiWolf   In reference to Message Id: 2319286

I have a Chinese water dragon can it use a reptibreeze med cage.

Sorry, No Message.

08/22/16  11:20am

Back to Water Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area