Water Dragons Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Water Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Saphiras mom   Bakerzx   Saphiras mom   Bakerzx   Saphiras mom   Bakerzx  

Member  Message

Saphiras mom
View Profile

Australian/Eastern Water Dragon

I have experience with Chinese water dragons, and am getting a pair of Australian water dragons. I have read/been told there are quite a few differences. Does anyone have experience with Australians? What are the differences between Australian and Chinese (aside from the looks of course)?

06/10/16  08:47am

Bakerzx
View Profile

Message To: Saphiras mom   In reference to Message Id: 2318656

I had a shop try and get me into Australian water dragons; my concern was ability to house them all. As we all know enclosures are HUGE!
I’d say what you read is about spot on. Just like Chinese Water Dragon owners; research is the key. Go with your instincts and you should be OK. Husbandry goes a long way.

06/10/16  05:58pm

Saphiras mom
View Profile

Message To: Bakerzx   In reference to Message Id: 2318664

I’m putting together a 5 x 3 x 5 ft cage and trying for a 3 x 2.5 x 2/3 ft pool suspended below the tank. Hoping this will be good for a pair.

06/14/16  06:18am

Bakerzx
View Profile

Message To: Saphiras mom   In reference to Message Id: 2318745

You should do a build log! Be excited to see it.
What kind of pond did you get? Prefab, aquarium, or are you fabricating your own?
I used the black preformed garden pond from Home Depot; it was only $35. Link

06/14/16  04:47pm

Saphiras mom
View Profile

Message To: Bakerzx   In reference to Message Id: 2318765

I am attempting to build a glass aquarium to fit the space exactly and be easy to do water changes. I am getting a hybrid cage from cages by design which comes with a bar in the center of the floor and two aluminum laminate panels. I plan to only use the one panel and have the pool on the other side. The stand has a sliding door, so I plan on having the pool/aquarium extend below the tank into that area and keeping the door on that side open to observe the dragons if and when they swim. I am trying to build the tank elevated slightly on 2 by 4s, so that I can have a drain spout on the bottom to easily empty it. I will use a system similar to an aquarium python for filling the tank up again. I will also have a universal rock with a waterfall system in it (pump from the actual pool) at the top corner overlooking the pool.

I have never done something like this and am trying to think it through but, if you have any thoughts or suggestions, I would greatly appreciate them!

06/15/16  06:14am

Bakerzx
View Profile

Message To: Saphiras mom   In reference to Message Id: 2318777

Wow! At that point I would just have Cages By Design do the visible pond. They include drainage for cleaning and water changes.
I drilled my pond with an inflow and and outflow of 3/4" and used marine plumbing to connect my 350 gph canister filter. I used marineland quick connects to allow easy maintenance and the ability to drain the whole pond if I want. My pond is also heated to 85, so I do 5 gallon water changes every three days from evaporation. I only do complete water changes once a month along with filter maintenance.
I am looking into Exotic Custom Cages for my next enclosure. Granted I could engineer a new enclosure, but I need someone with awesome woodworking skills to make the enclosure match our furniture. My wife has imposed new enclosure rules, as we are getting a new house. I’m a stay-at-home dad and as long as she is willing/ supportive of my/ my girls’ hobby, I’m all for it!
"You want to support my crazy hobby and foot the bill?"
"OK!"
[This is why I married my amazing wife]
On my next enclosure I am doing the open/ viewing pond ECC can replicate. I may even go full tropical and have all the underside water feature with various "platforms" to accommodate each dragon’s spacial issues. Plus they use fiberglass instead of rubber for the water feature; lasts much longer. I am currently battling humidity in my enclosure. To keep it where it needs to be, I have leakage in my cabinet. Why didn’t I think of fiberglassing the whole interior?! Oh well.
Please keep us/posted and keep this forum thriving. Would love to see the Water Dragon community become liker the frogger community.

06/15/16  11:58am

Back to Water Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area