Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Water Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Marilyn/Olive   Bakerzx   Marilyn/Olive   Marilyn/Olive   Bakerzx  

Member  Message

Marilyn/Olive
View Profile

Branches for my water dragon tank

Someone please help!!!
I am setting up a larger tank for my water dragon.
The branches are to large to boil bake or soak. Can I seal the branches with spray silicone and it be safe for her???

05/13/16  11:57am

Bakerzx
View Profile

Message To: Marilyn/Olive   In reference to Message Id: 2318370

Can you take them to the car wash and power wash them and then let them dry in the sun? How big are we talking and where did you collect them?

05/13/16  01:15pm

Marilyn/Olive
View Profile

Message To: Bakerzx   In reference to Message Id: 2318373

We found them in a pile were someone had trimmed a tree.[Image]

05/13/16  07:50pm

Marilyn/Olive
View Profile

Message To: Marilyn/Olive   In reference to Message Id: 2318383

Does the bark have to be stripped
if you spray with a bleach solution
and rinse really well?

05/13/16  09:30pm

Bakerzx
View Profile

Message To: Marilyn/Olive   In reference to Message Id: 2318387

I usually strip the bark; as this is usually where most of you fauna will live. After I strip the bark I scrub the branches with a water and dawn soap solution. This is animal safe and also kills all the bacteria. I would avoid using bleach as it is so harsh and I would hate to have any little bit create an issue. I don’t even wash my plants in mild bleach solution. Water usually does the trick.
After I scrub the branches clean I just let them dry in the sun. The sun acts as a natural disinfectant/ bleach. After that you branches should be fine and insect free.
In the past all the wood I have collected has rotted too soon for my taste. Now I use only ghostwood and manzanita. Lasts so much longer, looks cool, really affordable (even in large sizes) and the manzanita sinks in the ponds so have lots of "perches" for my dragons within the pond.
Something you may try is.... Do you know anyone or any shop that has a large walk-in kiln? Maybe they could do you a favor and run the kiln at a low temp (to not scorch the wood) and bake the wood for you. I’ve thought about that but have never tried to finagle my old professors into baking large wood for me. Just a thought.

05/14/16  06:35am

Back to Water Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area