Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Water Dragons Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Water Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Bakerzx   Eris   Bakerzx   Takahiro111   Bakerzx   Takahiro111   Bakerzx   Takahiro111   Bakerzx   Takahiro111   Bakerzx   Ptamom   Bakerzx   Ptamom   Bakerzx   Bakerzx   Ptamom   Bakerzx   Bakerzx   Ptamom   Bakerzx   Ptamom   Bakerzx   Bakerzx   Ptamom   Ptamom  

Member  Message

Bakerzx
View Profile

Update on My Enclosure

Because I am a HUGE enclosure nerd who loves to see others’ enclosures and also keep up to date on them; here is a current picture of my planted enclosure. Everything is growing nicely and I even have a bromeliad blooming/ showing some serious color.
You can’t see the juveniles because they are "napping" behind all the vegetation. But, they are doing well and growing at a rapid rate

05/04/16  05:21pm

Eris
View Profile

Message To: Bakerzx   In reference to Message Id: 2318277

Update on My Enclosure

Wow! That is an amazing tank! Love all the ferns and the little pond! I Did you make the background? It looks like large enclosure, how big is it?

05/10/16  04:11pm

Bakerzx
View Profile

Message To: Eris   In reference to Message Id: 2318332

Update on My Enclosure

THANKS!
I made the whole thing myself. The background is peat moss and cypress mulch mixed mixed with Titebond II. It is 6ft x 7ft x 3ft. The pond is 40 gallons filtered at 350 gph and heated to 80º.

05/10/16  05:11pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Bakerzx   In reference to Message Id: 2318334

Update on My Enclosure

Amazing, I have a question. I want to use live plants in my two snake enclosure which are 4 feet by 2 feet, one is my cal king and cinnamon bp I understand that plants need watering but if I water the substrate they can get scale rot right?? Not to mention kings burrow, how can I go about this?

05/10/16  05:50pm

Bakerzx
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2318335

Update on My Enclosure

I use basic black plastic flower pots from your local hardware/ big box store. I then seal them with silicon and then foam them into the background. They contain the water to maintain the plants, add some depth, provide hides, and help maintain humidity. The pots vary in price, depending on the size you get; usually $0.99 to $3.00.
If you really want to seal the planters completely; use fiberglass. I haven’t ventured there yet, but I plan to soon on the next enclosure. The fiberglass should provide TOTAL water retention and allow me to maintain a 90% plus humidity all the time. If my humidity gets too high I have leakage issues within the cabinet. Nothing major, just an inconvenience.
Hope this helps.

05/10/16  06:38pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Bakerzx   In reference to Message Id: 2318336

Update on My Enclosure

It helped a lot thank you!!!

05/10/16  09:52pm

Bakerzx
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2318339

Update on My Enclosure

You’re welcome! That’s awesome it helped.
I’d love to see some pictures or maybe a build log. Love how the dart froggers are constantly frabricating.

05/12/16  04:51am

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Bakerzx   In reference to Message Id: 2318351

Update on My Enclosure

I’ll be sure to post pics after everything’s done

05/12/16  11:47am

Bakerzx
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2318356

Update on My Enclosure

Sweet!

05/13/16  01:16pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Bakerzx   In reference to Message Id: 2318374

Update on My Enclosure

I’m getting the plants from josh frogs and I have to get the other stuff from homedepot and the petstore I work at so I’m guessing I’ll start late next week.

05/13/16  04:48pm

Bakerzx
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2318375

Update on My Enclosure

Let me know how Josh’s Frogs goes. I usually order from NEHerp. I’ve been curious about ordering from Josh’s Frogs but have yet to make a purchase.

05/14/16  06:21am

Ptamom
View Profile

Message To: Bakerzx   In reference to Message Id: 2318277

Update on My Enclosure

Awesome tank. How difficult was it to do as I am in the design phase and will be converting a China hutch into an enclosure. Thanks

07/05/16  07:32pm

Bakerzx
View Profile

Message To: Ptamom   In reference to Message Id: 2319026

Update on My Enclosure

The hardest part of the whole project was getting over my fear of trying something new; mainly the sliding doors.

My biggest piece of advice is to fiberglass the whole inside. It isn’t that hard, just messy. Their are tons of youtube videos out there.

My next piece of advice is plan, plan, and plan some more. Even then nothing goes as planned. I took months designing and planning the plumbing and construction. Plus cost was an issue, so I had to figure out ways to be thrifty and creative.

There are lots of designs. Modern and sterile (read super easy to clean) or self sustaining (read living). Any way you go I;d be happy to help along the way.

07/08/16  12:13pm

Ptamom
View Profile

Message To: Bakerzx   In reference to Message Id: 2319049

Update on My Enclosure

Thanks; very nervous about the whole project and my husband is concerned about $$$. I love your enclosure and would love to do something like that as my fixture will be by my dining area. Technically, Kenchee (name of CWD) is my son’s and he says this is his project but it seems like I am the one doing the research.

How hard was the pond to do?

07/09/16  08:07am

Bakerzx
View Profile

Message To: Ptamom   In reference to Message Id: 2319056

Update on My Enclosure

The pond itself was SUPER easy. I purchased a preformed garden pond at Home Depot. I ended up getting the 40 gallon preformed pond as it looked more natural once I painted it (I dry brushed various greens and greys to give it visual depth and also to blend it into my substrate) and met my size requirements. Here is a link to the one i purchased.[Link]http://www.homedepot.com/p/40-Gal-Preformed-Pond-Liner-UWPFP40/202019935[/Link

As for the plumbing I purchased all the pieces at www.marinedepot.com. I used 3/4" pieces as they worked well with 7/8" plumbing of my canister filter. I just drilled the pond for the plumbing and away I went. A little tip; to get the tubing on the barb fixtures boil water and dip the end of the tubing and wait for it to soften and then it goes on super easy. Also spread a little vaseline to create a seal and also ease the application even more. To straighten coiled tubing, cork the end and put a funnel on the other end and pour boiling water in the tubing. BE VERY CAREFUL as I actually spilled some boiling water from the tubing and ended up burning myself pretty bad. What’s a project without a battle wound? LOL!

Ask away, I’m glad to help. I know the feeling of it all being so daunting all too well.

07/09/16  12:16pm

Bakerzx
View Profile

Message To: Bakerzx   In reference to Message Id: 2319057

Update on My Enclosure

I messed the link up.
Link">Link

07/09/16  12:17pm

Ptamom
View Profile

Message To: Bakerzx   In reference to Message Id: 2319058

Update on My Enclosure

Found the pond but I think our enclosure isn’t going to have enough depth for it. I think we are going to have to create one of our own.

Stupid question: The paint on the outside of the tank doesn’t have to be toxic proof correct? I have found a website that carries it but am now thinking of staining the wood instead of painting it.

I looked up the video for the fiberglass and it seems relatively painless; just time consuming.

07/10/16  12:03pm

Bakerzx
View Profile

Message To: Ptamom   In reference to Message Id: 2319069

Update on My Enclosure

Fiberglass is time consuming, but SO worth it.
There are many sizes of ponds out there. If you do make your own, make it from fiberglass as well. Just use some spray foam to make a mound of sculptable foam and carve and reverse pond and then you have a mold of the pond to your liking and something to fiberglass over. Just remember to coat the foam mold with a release agent before you start fiberglassing. Fiberglass is WAY stronger than the pond liners like I built anyway.

07/10/16  12:19pm

Bakerzx
View Profile

Message To: Bakerzx   In reference to Message Id: 2319072

Update on My Enclosure

Exterior enclosure paint doesn’t need to be nontoxic, but I used plain old house acrylic interior paint from Home Depot.

07/10/16  12:20pm

Ptamom
View Profile

Message To: Bakerzx   In reference to Message Id: 2319073

Update on My Enclosure

Thanks so much for the help. Just when I thought I had everything ready to go, discovered we didn’t have the right tools to cut the wood. Oh well, baby steps..

07/11/16  08:36am

Bakerzx
View Profile

Message To: Ptamom   In reference to Message Id: 2319083

Update on My Enclosure

A good circular saw does wonders. You can get them fairly cheap at HOme Depot for like $30. Get a corded one if you do.

07/11/16  04:41pm

Ptamom
View Profile

Message To: Bakerzx   In reference to Message Id: 2319093

Update on My Enclosure

You are so correct about having the right tools.

Do you know if you can fiberglass over thin particle board? The back of the hutch has thin particle board but I was thinking of replacing it with heavier wood.

Also, please confirm the following for me.

Steps for fiberglass is: 1)resin 2)fiberglass 3) resin

After this is done, we put any accessories or background that we may want in.

Thanks.

07/19/16  04:07pm

Bakerzx
View Profile

Message To: Ptamom   In reference to Message Id: 2319148

Update on My Enclosure

Sorry for the late response. Moved across country to Portland, Oregon.

You’ve got the fiberglass down. You can also mix dyes and car bondo to make it super rock solid.

The fiberglass will actually help reinforce the back. You can lay metal or wood in the fiberglass to support more.

After fiberglass you can do whatever. I’m actually going to build a new enclosure and will incorporate chicken wire into the fiberglass to help my peat/ titebond slurry stick.

I’ll try to be more active as I unpack. Good news is the dragons made the move OK. The enclosure had some issues. I’ll start another thread detailing my move experience.

07/31/16  10:42pm

Bakerzx
View Profile

Message To: Bakerzx   In reference to Message Id: 2319184

Update on My Enclosure

I was just watching this as I prep for my new enclosure. Since my shell will be pine, this was useful.Maybe this will help.Link

08/09/16  10:32am

Ptamom
View Profile

Message To: Bakerzx   In reference to Message Id: 2319184

Update on My Enclosure

Well, after my vacation and seeing that this project was going to be done mainly by myself; I opted to have someone build me an enclosure. We met yesterday and since they build bearded dragon enclosures, I feel that they have an idea of what I would like to see. The enclosure is going to be 5"x 2.5 ’x6’ .

I can’t think you enough for your help and wished I had enough confidence to do it myself.

08/31/16  09:47am

Ptamom
View Profile

Message To: Ptamom   In reference to Message Id: 2319371

Update on My Enclosure

I forgot to say Congrats on the move and I am glad the wd made it ok. Oregon is a beautiful state.

08/31/16  09:48am

Back to Water Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area