Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Water Dragons Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Water Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

LeahF   Milldabeast519   Milldabeast519   LeahF   LeahF   Milldabeast519  

Member  Message

LeahF
View Profile

Need advice please for potentially sick dragon.

I have had my CWD for over a year by this point and I am pretty sure Mushu is a female. I think she is something over 19 inches and around 250 grams in weight? Just had a vet check and I don’t have the paper with me.

I just took her out of the viv that I had made custom. I did a poor job of sealing it and the leaking of the water from the monsoon was rotting the bottom out too much, and was creating a toxic environment. I have placed her back into about a 40 gallon enclosure for the time being.

I did not realize before that USB bulbs need to be replaced about every six months. The bulb that I had in the old viv had not been replaced since putting it in the enclosure. I bought a new UVB bulb and higher wattage basking bulb when I moved her into the smaller enclosure. The UVB is a 5.0 and the basking lamp is 150 watts, so the temp will range between high 80s and low 90s. The cooler side of the cage is normally around 70. I have a monsoon system that sprays periodically so the humidity is fine (a bit too wet at the moment though, I think).

Anyway, I felt that the environment and the outdated UVB from the other viv is what contributed to Mushu not wanting to eat. There was about a 3 week period where she refused to eat. I took her for a second vet check at Avian exotic reptile vet. Took blood work, hand fed her, and gave her a vitamin A supplement. The blood test came back as everything within normal range and showed plenty of circulating calcium. She had also been very bloated so I told the vet that maybe she is gravid? They seemed to have agreed with me assessment, but they were pushy in suggesting more testing (had already just spent $250).

I don’t know what to think. I’ve done a lot of reading hoping to come across something similar to her behavior with no such luck. I’m confused by her, one day she will seem well and the next day she seems not to be doing well. She did end up eating about 8 super worms a week after the vet check, and then about 4 more three or so days later. She refuses crickets, won’t touch fruits or veggies. Worms get dusted with calcium powder and vitamin supplements. Water gets cleansed with reptisafe. She pooped out everything that was given to her by the vet, but now is back to just urinating (from what I’ve seen). She has periods of being active, then periods of being lethargic. She has been digging since I put substrate on the cool side of her tank.

I am wondering if she is at a point where she has been gravid but is unable to lay at this point? I did not have any substrate in the old viv.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I feel leary of the vet that is in my area, and I cannot spare another $250 for further testing....

03/10/16  01:25pm

Milldabeast519
View Profile

Message To: LeahF   In reference to Message Id: 2317392

unfortunetly most vets are useless from my experience and they have ZERO experience with water dragons. pretty obvious whats happening if you ask me. yea of coarse a vet would say the only option is more money! they are business ppl ! i lived with on for a decade.your dragons pregnant if u ask me.... put more dirt down and make sure its the proper dampness. not to wet and not to dry. it needs to stack when they dig and not fall back in. it should clump when u grab a hand full. feel for the eggs. no need for a stupid vet to do more test. you will feel the eggs is she is gravid. right infront of the back legs you will feel a lump on ONE side of her gut. could be either side. but generally just ONE side. they will move around and you can push them around sometimes. gravid females dont eat much and they dig and act weird.... sounds like your issue. get that dirt deep. and put it in mutltiple spots with different moisture content so she can decide if she likes it ornot

03/11/16  04:39am

Milldabeast519
View Profile

Message To: LeahF   In reference to Message Id: 2317392

what kind of materials are you using for sealing and whats your structure made from??? ive been working for a caulking /water proofing restoration company for around a decade now and building many tropical arboreal tanks. youtube milldabeast519

03/11/16  04:42am

LeahF
View Profile

Message To: Milldabeast519   In reference to Message Id: 2317397

I bought an old boob tube TV stand. I tore out the shelves to make the entire inside hallow. I cut out the doors and placed plexi glass over the cut outs. I had also cut four different places and put floor vents to help with air circulation. I did research on what I thought was the best way to seal and I used like 20 cans of isolation foam spray. I think it was that great stuff brand? Supposed to be water/weather proof and not create a toxic environment. I also tried caulking the along the bottom to help further seal. It was my first go and was (am) very inexperienced with what I was doing. Was a good size for a viv but I did a horrible job with sealing it.

03/13/16  05:39pm

LeahF
View Profile

Message To: Milldabeast519   In reference to Message Id: 2317396

Thanks for the input! Poor thing has slept all day on her log (looks miserable). She did eat again two days ago, but hasn’t done much since. I’ll check her belly again tomorrow and see if I can feel anything. I have a mixture of eco soil and bark on one side. I’m thinking I may need to get more and pile it higher. I noticed the day before yesterday she dug all the way to the bottom and quit messing with it.

03/13/16  05:45pm

Milldabeast519
View Profile

Message To: LeahF   In reference to Message Id: 2317432

ok well sick dragons dont dig... dragons dig for one reason. and ive never seen my males dig! basically what i got from that is she was digging to lay and found out the dirt wasnt deep enough and or proper moisture content. ... you need atleast one foot of dirt. more the better. 2 spots . or more the better. if she was trying to lay you realize she basically needs to take as massive crap and shes holding it and holding it... this is how egg binding starts. especially on a dragon thats never layed. u need to act like before i typed this out or the vets may ACTAULLY have to charge you for appropriate medical care!

03/16/16  08:02am

Back to Water Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area