Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Water Dragons Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Water Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Walkertribe   Takahiro111   Walkertribe   Takahiro111   VenomSnake   Walkertribe   Takahiro111   Milldabeast519   Milldabeast519   Milldabeast519  

Member  Message

Walkertribe
View Profile

Pre-shedding behavior?

Hello all, I recently received a juvenile CWD and it looks like s/he will be shedding soon as its coloration has slightly grayed. In the past few days, I have noticed that it is not as active and has spent more time in it shrubs. Still comes out in the morning for feeding. Diet is the same; crickets dusted with calcium (alternating w/D3 and w/o every other day). Recently tried mealworms as a treat, but s/he is not really interested in them yet. After eating 4-5 small crickets it goes back into the shrubs. I am mainly concerned because it has not been basking at all for several days and temps are mid to high 70’s in the shrubs (cool side). Also have a Reptisun UVB light running the length of the cage.

Just wanted to see what others have experienced with their CWD’s behavior prior to shedding. Please let me know. Thanks!

02/23/16  02:41pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Walkertribe   In reference to Message Id: 2317177

Pre-shedding behavior?

What’s the setup like(temps,caging,humidity)? My water dragons skin will dull up a little before shedding, but they all have different personalities...some is lazy while others are angry or active. One reason I can think of while he won’t bask is probably the basking spot is too hot or the hot end is too hot that’s why he’s on the cool end on the scrubs. Is he lethargic? If so that’s not a good symptom check with a vet.

02/23/16  03:02pm

Walkertribe
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2317179

Pre-shedding behavior?

Currently he is in a 55 gallon tank. 1/3 of it has a pond area on the "cool side." There is a 3ft reptisun over the tank with a basking bulb on the the "hot" side. Temperature at the basking spot (approximately 8 inches from bulb) is 90-95F. Humidity at basking area ranges from 70 in the morning to 50 in the day (with occasional misting). The shrubs he likes to hide in are above the water area with temps ranging from 75-85F and humidity ranging 60-80. Other than staying hidden, I would not describe him as lethargic. He is bright eyed and aware, just not as active as he was a few days ago. I will continue to monitor him closely though. I currently have bark as a substrate (same as what he was kept in at the pet store) but plan to change it out with soil soon. Hopefully that will aid with keeping the humidity up.
Maybe he is just feeling "shy" or uncomfortable with the upcoming shed, but since I am new to CWDs I thought it worth asking.
On a side note, about how long do you notice the dull color before the shed actually starts? Few days, Few weeks? I am hoping he will start soon.
Thanks for the quick reply!

02/23/16  03:36pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Walkertribe   In reference to Message Id: 2317181

Pre-shedding behavior?

I own a few Australian & Chinese water dragons so the dulling vary from each individual from some being a few days and others like a week or so. This is an awesome care sheet with a load of info.

http://www.triciaswaterdragon.com/dragoncr.htm

02/23/16  06:09pm

VenomSnake
View Profile

Message To: Walkertribe   In reference to Message Id: 2317181

Pre-shedding behavior?

He’s just trying to get high humidity levels so he can shed, Do you have a rock in his pond? When he begins shedding he’ll rub it off himself if you have a rock in the pond for him. You can also help him yourself with a bath, I tend to bathe my dragons myself to make sure his toes are shedding properly.

02/24/16  12:23am

Walkertribe
View Profile

Message To: VenomSnake   In reference to Message Id: 2317186

Pre-shedding behavior?

Thanks for the info and link. I do not have a rock, but there is a large cork flat that I have for a ramp so he can get in and out of the pond and I have seen him rubbing on that before. The pond itself is about 5-6 inches deep with several raised areas in which he can relax and soak with his head out of the water. The water itself is heated to about 75-80F. Hopefully he will start shedding soon as his coloration has been dull for several days already. Thanks for the tip about an extra soak to aid with shedding.
So far he has been a fun addition to the house and I suppose it will take time to learn all his little quirks.

Thanks again and glad I found this site!

02/24/16  12:42pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Walkertribe   In reference to Message Id: 2317194

Pre-shedding behavior?

Your welcome. Make sure the shed is off the toes,hands,tail tip completely to prevent blood constriction and them falling off

02/24/16  07:12pm

Milldabeast519
View Profile

Message To: VenomSnake   In reference to Message Id: 2317186

Pre-shedding behavior?

this is a chinese water dragon we are talking about. they dont rub there face on stuff like a snake will. ive owned snakes and water dragon for over 10 years now i know exactly what your talking about ,with snakes. water dragons however have giant raptor razor sharp claws and they just itch like a dog. ive even had them rip a hole in there eye lid there so sharp and efficient. they even itch there back with there front arms upside down behind there back.very maneuverable really.so there woulnt be any need to use anything for help. i have seen them rub the bottom of there jaw on the ground but that usually follows by a more efficient back leg itch.

03/02/16  03:49pm

Milldabeast519
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2317200

Pre-shedding behavior?

yea no doubt. good advice. i have a dragon(i received ) thats missing half his toes and spikes didnt develop because the dead skin will stop blood flow.... also nostrals can be an issue. i had dragon display RI symptoms but really its just clogged nostrals blocking air flow 100% can be so bad that they gasp and open mouth. looks identical to RI until you unclog it and they instantly become better.

03/02/16  03:52pm

Milldabeast519
View Profile

Message To: Walkertribe   In reference to Message Id: 2317177

Pre-shedding behavior?

reptisun uvb??? ok... we really need to research are lights and what they are and what they mean so we can properly understand this animal. take 10 mins and go read so info on lighting on eco terra site... reptisun is a brand. we talking reptisun mercury vapor bulb?? or florescent tube fixture?? im guessing its a mercury vapor bulb?but then you said its runing the length of the tank...how is a tube heating your tank?? and its producing uvB and uvA? maybe leave the dragon undisturbed for 4 hours a day, no animals nothing around the tank. sure he come out and bask then hide when ur back if its just a case of being shy. which is likely what it is. never really thought of shedding reflecting my dragons attitudes and ive had them for over a decade. sounds like typical young juvy behavior. even dragons ive had for years do weird stuff and get spooked randomly. just keep him nice and moist while hes shedding. even warm water baths. ive even used mineral oil for stuck on shed after the sheds done and stuff didnt come off around spikes or something. did you say mealworms??? just forget mealworms existed! they are basically potato chips and do nothing for your dragon and once they get a taste... there like crack. get some good worms like green horned tomato or silks ect. every time he hides take him out walk around the room for 10 seconds and put him back... unless he really panicking

03/02/16  04:03pm

Back to Water Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area