Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Water Dragons Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Water Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Myra V.   Icearstorm   Myra V.   Takahiro111   Myra V.   Takahiro111   Icearstorm   Myra V.   Takahiro111   Milldabeast519   Milldabeast519   Milldabeast519   Myra V.   Milldabeast519   Milldabeast519  

Member  Message

Myra V.
View Profile

Gravid water dragon

Do gravid Chinese water dragons loose weight?

02/21/16  12:52pm

Icearstorm
View Profile

Message To: Myra V.   In reference to Message Id: 2317149

Gravid water dragon

From what I have heard, any gravid lizard should gain weight until laying or giving birth, after which they will appear skinny in the lower abdominal area. However, gravid lizards need more food while producing eggs, so if the amount of food provided stays the same, the lizard may lose weight in the form of fat on the tail and perhaps the back, eyes, legs, and then jaw areas if pickings are slim.

02/21/16  01:45pm

Myra V.
View Profile

Message To: Icearstorm   In reference to Message Id: 2317150

Gravid water dragon

yea her tail, back,eyes and legs are looking really skinny, but her stomach is getting really fat.
Do you know how long will it take her to lay the eggs?

02/21/16  08:37pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Gravid water dragon

Yes its normal but only if she’s healthy. My female Australian/Chinese water dragons are gravid and they started to eat less way often, the legs,tail, and arms will be the areas where weight will be lost but not too much you see skin/bones. Just put yourself in her shoes, I wouldn’t wanna eat a lot like I use to if I had eggs pressing against my organs lol :). She should also be given calcium a little more than usual to help her produce healthy eggs during this period, you should expect eggs 2 months after copulation. My females were gravid since last month so in some time now I’ll be making a nesting area(CWD 2nd clutch, AWD first) really excited this is my 5th attempt breeding my AWD. I always do a vet check up on any female reptile I’m breeding to insure safety of her and babies.

02/21/16  10:51pm

Myra V.
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2317156

Gravid water dragon

Thanks for you advice Shes laying her eggs right now!!! omg!

02/22/16  12:22pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Myra V.   In reference to Message Id: 2317159

Gravid water dragon

Your welcome!

02/22/16  01:02pm

Icearstorm
View Profile

Message To: Myra V.   In reference to Message Id: 2317159

Gravid water dragon

Congratulations! :D

02/22/16  06:21pm

Myra V.
View Profile

Message To: Icearstorm   In reference to Message Id: 2317161

Gravid water dragon

so she laid 6 eggs last week and laid one today and still have some inside. but I want to know if I can do something to me her eat she hasn’t eating in about a month and half since she became gravid and I’m really worried I’ll make an appointment tomorrow for the vet, but idk when I’ll get it soon, so does anyone know of something I can feed her with a dropper like calcium? should I make her drink the liquid calcium? IDK help!

02/28/16  03:19pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Myra V.   In reference to Message Id: 2317261

Gravid water dragon

If she hasn’t eaten that long she hasn’t been receiving calcium to produce healthy eggs, i never had this problem so I’m not sure how to go about it but its good your seeking vet attention

02/28/16  04:23pm

Milldabeast519
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2317265

Gravid water dragon

the calcium intake weeks before giving birth isnt gona relevant in the ooutcome of the eggs quality...

03/02/16  03:32pm

Milldabeast519
View Profile

Gravid water dragon

your dragon will look the worst /thinnest its ever been right after she lays. make sure you got deep dirt at least 10 inches more the better. and the moisture in the dirt is really key. the dirt needs to stack when she digs and not collapse or she will just give up sometimes and not be satisfied with the lay area. it should clump up when you take a fist full of it. coco fiber /dirt. dont bug her till she starts packing the dirt down with her face and covers em. shes gona do this possibly 3-4 times this year so be ready. maybe just the once if you dont have a male. usually 3 clutches a year . she gona feed heavy right after laying. appetite will come back. but not for long then back into lay mode.... so make sure your feedn the best crap there is. horned worms silks wax butters. shes gona need some good fat like rat pinks too.power feed her in between clutches.cant over do it.

03/02/16  03:38pm

Milldabeast519
View Profile

Message To: Myra V.   In reference to Message Id: 2317261

Gravid water dragon

you can get liquid spray in calcium form... they do have calcium injection for lizards with metabolic bone disease but thats not needed.... get the liquid calcium spray from pet store over the counter. you can also give her pediatric electrolytes for babies ,flavorless. its really good for rehydrating them. sounds like your just panicking about typical prego behavior and nobody here can give you solid information

03/02/16  03:42pm

Myra V.
View Profile

Message To: Milldabeast519   In reference to Message Id: 2317302

Gravid water dragon

Thank you so much for your help Milldabeast519
I was really worried and scared for my water dragon and she already laid 7 eggs and I still feel some inside
I did put some dirt she was digging making holes at first,, but she lays them in the water Idk if its normal
and she turned really dark like almost black and very aggressive which I think its normal cause she might feel pain or discomfort and protective over her eggs I really don’t know, I just wish she wouldn’t have to go throu this is really sad seeing her like this, she used to be very tame and bright green... I thought she was a boy lol

03/03/16  12:24pm

Milldabeast519
View Profile

Message To: Myra V.   In reference to Message Id: 2317319

Gravid water dragon

shes laying in the water because the dirt isnt right... too dry or too wet. like i was saying. when she digs it needs to stack up for her instead of falling back down. it needs to clump up when u take a fist full. i dont think ive had dirt too wet usually to dry but its possible... ive seen them lay in water,its not good. its a very last resort . dirt can really be a pain to get perfect. i got big containers of dirt in my enclosure that are sunk into the bottom like a sink in a counter. and the dragon knows there full of dirt and deep. keep temps up. maybe cover the dirt area so its well protected and kinda of secure feeling so she can dig in peace. if shes starts digging leave the room immediately . they can get disturbed easily.

03/05/16  02:28pm

Milldabeast519
View Profile

Message To: Myra V.   In reference to Message Id: 2317319

Gravid water dragon

yea they are protective over the eggs. they HATE when you dig them up and they often give me very irritated looks. just take them away out of sight... she will do this every year. i would say sell her. lots of ppl always looking for females. they are worth more. males are better looking and bigger too. and no bs prego stuff

03/05/16  02:30pm

Back to Water Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area