Water Dragons Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Water Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Maddyjustine   Saphiras mom   Milldabeast519  

Member  Message

Maddyjustine
View Profile

Water Dragon gaping and lethargy

Hello all! I recently acquired a Chinese Water Dragon, he is about 3 years old. His previous owner is going into the Marines, and asked me to take him in, which I was happy to do. He moved into our place about 2 days ago, which I imagine is very stressful for him. I have a few concerns because I am new to caring for water dragons and I want to make sure he is happy and healthy. His temps and humidity are closely monitored, his warm side around 85-90 degrees, never more than 95 in the hottest area, and they drop to the mid 70s at night. His humidity I try to keep around 80% overall. It drops at night when I’m not awake or home to mist, but I make sure all of my reptiles are misted at least 2x per day. It’s difficult to maintain a constant humidity of 80% in the winter in my area, but I’m doing all I can, and added a fogger to his tank today.

So far, of the 2 days I’ve had him, he doesn’t seem to be accepting any food items, not insects (live or not), fruit, or prey items like pinkies. I’m assuming he’s stressed from the move. How many days of him not accepting food before I should begin to worry? I understand adults eat every 2-3 days.

Also, he seems sort of lethargic, and he doesn’t seem to move from one spot all day unless I pick him up, then he’ll start maneuvering on my hand. But when I place him on a branch, or even in his pool, he doesn’t move for long periods of time (he sat on one branch the entire day, and it wasn’t even his basking area) At one point I put him in his pool because I was worried he was dehydrated and his head was under the water and he didn’t move it above the surface, which worried me quite a bit. Of course I moved him out of the pool.

For a few minutes today, he was gaping. I know this can be a sign of a respiratory infection (he has no signs of mouth rot), but is it also a behavior they do when cooling off? Can this also be a sign they’re dehydrated? After I let him soak in the pool and re-misted his tank, he stopped and seemed to perch comfortably on his branch I moved him to.

Could most of these issues be due to the overall stress of moving and acclimating to a new place? I want to make sure he is happy and healthy, and I can’t tell if I’m overreacting or if I should bring him to a vet. I know it’s only been 2 days, but when reptiles are sick, it isn’t long before they keel over and that’s the last thing I want for this little guy. Any info would be super helpful. Google searches aren’t giving me the proper info and I figure it’s best to ask an experienced water dragon keeper. Thanks very much everyone!

02/17/16  08:48pm

Saphiras mom
View Profile

Message To: Maddyjustine   In reference to Message Id: 2317070

ITs quite possible he is simply stressed from the move and will take time to settle in. They also can be come very attached to their owners, which could be part of the issue too. While he is settling into his new cage, I would leave him alone as much as possible and cover the cage to a certain extent (at least 3 out of the 4 sides) so he can get comfortable. I would not worry too much if he doesn’t eat or move around much at first. What are you offering him to eat? My current girl and my previous were both very funny and would get board with food, so I would have to change it up. They also tended to like to eat mid morning or early afternoon, but often refused if offered at other times. I have found that offering too frequently actually has a negative effect too. I would give it at least a week of no eating before I had any real concern.

02/18/16  06:37am

Milldabeast519
View Profile

Message To: Maddyjustine   In reference to Message Id: 2317070

nostrils not blocked with dead skin?? ery similar to RI symptoms.... like the other person said. cover the tank right up. i cant imagine bringing a foreign dragon to anybody house and it not being nervous... they can hold there breath for 20 mins... when there scared they will submerge and stay under water. put food in a dish some where he can easily see when hes hiding. leave him for the day and see later if he ate them.id be surprised if he comes at all . usually takes awhile

03/02/16  04:12pm

Back to Water Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area