Water Dragons Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Water Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Ryyya   Takahiro111   Ryyya   Takahiro111   Saphiras mom  

Member  Message

Ryyya
View Profile

Help !

My boyfriend has a chinese water dragon and shes been pretty ill we took her too the vet and got 3 different types of medication and and mouth cleanser and cream for after feesing and bathing. My boyfriend is working out of town and i have been doing my best too accomidate her (bathing, feeding, medicating and applying cream.) but i dont have any help when it comes too force feeding her and today she was pretty agressive towards me trying too feed her as if i had hurt the other side of her mouth and now im concerned about feeding tomorrow. I was wondering if there was any way i can make this easier on her and my self! I know having another set of hands is ideal but everyone is scared of her. Also she hasnt pooped 5 days and im becoming concerned that i may be stressing her too much or that im doing something wrong. (bathing water too cool ??) if anyone has any tips ot suggestions i would really appreciate it !

01/26/16  09:31pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Ryyya   In reference to Message Id: 2316729

Help !

Giving meds to reptiles is stressful for them in a long run but the vet should’ve showed you how to force feed if its your first time since you can easily damage the jaws/teeth. Lizards are different from snakes when it comes to prying their mouth open. For my lizards I’d pissed them off to open their mouth by playing with their face(large ones) or I’d use a debit,credit card(small ones) but caution so be taken because being too rough can damage the teeth or inside of the mouth.

01/27/16  02:33am

Ryyya
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2316734

Help !

Thats what i feel has happened because it was my boyfriend that was at the vet so i never got a run down on exactly what was supposed too happen but thanks ill try either the debit card or just gey mad enough too be able too squirt it down.

01/27/16  08:56am

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Ryyya   In reference to Message Id: 2316737

Help !

Also if he has a sweet taste or anything when you put some on their mouth they’d normally lick it off if not too sick.

01/27/16  12:17pm

Saphiras mom
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2316747

Help !

I am horrible at opening their mouths. Officially I use a tiny rubber spatula, but it doesn’t work well for me and traumatizes both he animal and me. I have another technique I use for meds that may work if you are putting it in her mouth and not tube feeding. Put your hand under the jaw and with your thumb on the side of the mouth gently pull the lip on the side down. Putt he rubber tip of the syringe in the pocket between the lips and teeth and insert a little (very little). The animal will likely swallow that and then insert a little more.. very time consuming. But, if you are lucky, at some point when you are inserting a little the animal will open the mouth and you can quickly put the tip of the syringe in and insert the rest.

02/02/16  01:30pm

Back to Water Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area