Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Water Dragons Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Water Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Afrodite2400   Afrodite2400   Bakerzx   Afrodite2400   Bakerzx   Afrodite2400   Bakerzx  

Member  Message

Afrodite2400
View Profile

Help. Is our new CWD ok?

Hi all. Our family just added a CWD to our menagerie and I’m hoping Im just being a worrysome newbie but feel like I can’t be too sure. We currently have him set up in a 40 gallon breeder but plan to get him a beautiful six foot enclosure within the year when he gets a little bigger. The first day he got home he caught and ate two crickets. After that he would try and catch them (without much effort) but would miss and then not try again. He also hasn’t touched his veggies despite being told that he loves them. After he didn’t eat since the first day, the third day my husband enticed him with crickets he had on tweezers and he gobbled down three. My real concern is I haven’t seen him drink water, get in the water pool, or poop anywhere. He also isnt very active and will stay on the cool side AND feel cool to the touch until I move him to the warm side. Then he will stay there awhile before venturing back to the cool side where he will stay for hours and feel cool to the touch but he wont venture back to the warm side. We had trouble with humidity initially but after adding coconut substrate under the green carpet it is up alot and between 60-80 depending what area of the tank. Temps are between 90-75 depending on spot in tank during day and between 80-70 at night. I was going to go get another heat emitter for night tho since I read it shouldnt fall below 75 at night. But he will sit on the cold end at night and not go to the warm end....I intend to move his water pool to the hot end today as I think it’s to cold for him to want to be in it with it at the cool end. Other than that is he ok? What could be wrong with him? I know there is an adjustment period but want to be sure he is ok. I have been misting the tank a cpl times duri ng the day when Temps are up. should he be cool to touch? I read a ton before getting him and since but can’t find anything about that. Sorry it’s so lengthy of a post but wanted to try and get all the info I could to u. Mainly haven’t seen him drink or soak in water and haven’t seen a poo yet. He also seems less capable of catching food as the first day we got him. We have had him for four days. If suggested I thought about doing a warm soak. Thank in advance for any help.

12/26/15  09:03am

Afrodite2400
View Profile

Message To: Afrodite2400   In reference to Message Id: 2316283

Help. Is our new CWD ok?

I should add that i have pictures of enclosure and him but cant figure out how to add them. He is also mid shed.

12/26/15  09:08am

Bakerzx
View Profile

Message To: Afrodite2400   In reference to Message Id: 2316284

Help. Is our new CWD ok?

I wouldn’t get too worked up about not seeing him eat. I’ve had reptiles go as long as month before they start eating. My rule of thumb is that if I can’t see hip bones on my lizards then I have no concern as far as their food intake.
If you are super concerned and want to bulk up your baby, then you can always make a honey slurry from commercial omnivore food (crushed up) and mixed into honey. Dab the slurry onto his nose and he should lick it off. Water Dragons LOVE sweet treats and this is a good way to get them to eat and bulk up.
Are you vitamin and calcium dusting? I never did till recently and now I will never go back. I always used to only gut load my food with fish food, flukers cricket food, and flukers bearded dragon buffet. I still do, but with that AND dusting I have seen a HUGE difference in my dragons: especially our resident "stumpy" who dropped his tail because of stress in the pet store he was housed at. His tail has grown over an inch in one month of dusting.
The diet I feed is 80% Dubia roaches, 10% crickets, and 10% fish. Super worms and Wax worms are fed as treats once and a while.

12/26/15  02:30pm

Afrodite2400
View Profile

Message To: Bakerzx   In reference to Message Id: 2316286

Help. Is our new CWD ok?

He has eaten but hasn’t pooped. That’s what I’m concerned mostly about. I’ve had him 4 days and he’s eaten about 6-7 crickets but hasn’t passed stool. 😱

12/26/15  05:08pm

Bakerzx
View Profile

Message To: Afrodite2400   In reference to Message Id: 2316294

Help. Is our new CWD ok?

Do you give him a good soak in warm water each day? If you don’t have a water feature that allows him to soak and poop, that may pose a problem. I recommend and good warm soak. That usually stimulates the bowels.

12/26/15  07:12pm

Afrodite2400
View Profile

Message To: Bakerzx   In reference to Message Id: 2316297

Help. Is our new CWD ok?

He has a nice big pool with bubbler in his tank but has yet to use it. :( I tried a warm soak today and he was scared by it. Then his whole body froze up like a statue (even if u moved him he was like a stone lol). Is that normal behavior?

12/26/15  07:25pm

Bakerzx
View Profile

Message To: Afrodite2400   In reference to Message Id: 2316298

Help. Is our new CWD ok?

I wouldn’t be too concerned. Keep trying the warm bath. Over time he should get used to it. You can also put a little baby oil in the water to aid shedding and also helps "lube up" their insides. None of our dragons are real fond of baths, but some times you have. Our babies will literally run up my arm and hide on my head. It hilarious to see.
Best of luck.

12/27/15  06:09am

Back to Water Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area