Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Water Dragons Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Water Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

EcthalionMCB   Takahiro111   EcthalionMCB   Takahiro111   Bakerzx   Takahiro111  

Member  Message

EcthalionMCB
View Profile

CWD with Swollen Cheek

my mom has a Chinese Water Dragon named Nokuri that we’ve had for about 6 months. its suddenly developed swelling on the left side of its face. I’ve checked in the mouth, its clean and healthy looking except for a little bit of rub on the tip of its snout. its body is also getting an orange tint to it. its hands are covered in loose looking skin (like shedding skin) but its been like that since its last shed which was over a month ago.
I’m not sure when mom last changed out the UV light, only that its been several months and its one of those screw in bulbs. She cant afford to take it to the vet this month as things have come up preventing it.
it is a young dragon but has not shed in over a month.
I’ve been making sure it gets its calcium supplements on a regular basis for about a month now. it wasn’t getting it consistently before that, getting it maybe twice to 3 times a month before I took over.
we have it on a mat for substrate as we don’t want to risk impaction as it was eating its dirt when we had it on that. it gets 5-10 crickets a day, depending on the mood of the lizard. plus red wriggler worms. we keep the temp around 85-90 degrees on average, but the humidity is very low for a water dragon, at least in my opinion. nothing we do will make it stay humid in there. its at about 10-15% on average. its a 40 gallon aquarium setup.
think that covers everything I can think of

12/22/15  05:09pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: EcthalionMCB   In reference to Message Id: 2316234

CWD with Swollen Cheek

Probably rubbing his face on the glass its common in these animals. For loose skin I’d give warm baths and his cage should have some rough things to help like plants,vines,branches,rocks. The uvb should be a reptisun and change very 6 months. He should also has calcium dust with D3 and under tank heaters aren’t handy they just need basking bulbs. Also vary the diet give other bugs and spray the cage or get a fogger so it’ll get to 80% because 10-15% humidity is extremely low and he’ll have some serious health issues. The warm side 88°F with a 90°F basking spot with a cool end of 75°F. I wouldn’t be too concerned if he hasn’t shedded over a month. But start building/buy his permanent enclosure.

12/22/15  05:56pm

EcthalionMCB
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2316236

CWD with Swollen Cheek

thank you for the suggestions.
after doing some reading on this forum I was able to confirm that he is a male lizard.
not sure what kinds of other bugs we want to give him. right now he’s just got crickets and red wriggler worms. we’re attempting to breed our own crickets but not going so well. I know superworms bite, hard . . . . and he refuses to eat them. ignores pretty much any kind of wormy critter with legs, really. don’t really want to bring roaches into the house, one of those gets loose and my mom would probably freak out. any suggestions for varying the diet though would be appreciated.
even if its just changing up what the crickets get. they are currently on an orange colored cricket food we get at the local Petco that supposedly is good for gut-loading them plus keeping the crickets hydrated.
Going to talk to my dad sometime over the holidays about the upgrades for the little guy, if I remember, but I’m having surgery tomorrow so we’ll see if I’m focused enough after getting home.
He builds things as a hobby so I might be able to get him to build us a lizard setup big enough. is Melamine a good material to use for their setups? want to make sure we get the right kinds of materials. I know that Melamine coated wood is pretty resilient to water getting on it, but not sure how it would do as the primary material of a lizard enclosure.
I couldn’t get the pictures on the cage setup page to load yesterday, so I’ll check there again and see if its working yet to get some ideas, too.

12/23/15  11:17pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: EcthalionMCB   In reference to Message Id: 2316264

CWD with Swollen Cheek

Melamine is okay for an outter coating but also deteriorate quickly under hot and humid conditions I found out. There is other bugs like waxworms, hornworms(scary as hell....to me at least),moths,etc... I don’t give superworms or mealworms, they are really hard and not nutritious. Crickets are hard to breed and annoying so I don’t include in their diet but I feed my insects things at home like veggie,fruits,bread,oatmeal, etc....

12/24/15  01:52am

Bakerzx
View Profile

Message To: Takahiro111   In reference to Message Id: 2316267

CWD with Swollen Cheek

If you can stay away from particle board or composite board.
Even in my greatest attempts to stave off water, it finds its way. I am in a constant battle over over saturation and humidity levels. Were I to do it again, which I will, I would recommend sealing all wood and then caulking all seams. Then I would mount glass in my soil/ land area to prevent water seeping into under cabinet. Making an aquarium for than land area in basic terms. I have battled humidity off an on. My enclosure hasn’t suffered, but it’s a hassle. Next time I am also putting fans in my under cabinet to circulate air to prevent any mold from any occasional water seepage.
I have SO much to learn. HAHAHA!

12/26/15  03:01pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Bakerzx   In reference to Message Id: 2316289

CWD with Swollen Cheek

Your not the only one lol I’m currently building a croc monitor cage and repairing the CWD cage because of the wood, so my friends dad is helping. I won’t be done until mid January.... sucks :’(

12/26/15  06:31pm

Back to Water Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area