Water Dragons Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Water Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Jibbly   Cphill58   Bakerzx   Milldabeast519   Bakerzx  

Member  Message

Jibbly
View Profile

Some Ideas

So, I’m getting a water dragon soon. I had one a few years back but it was wild caught, heavily loaded with parasites, and there wasn’t really a whole lot we could do unfortunately. Broke my heart to put him down, but here I am again, in the same boat trying to give this species another shot at glory.

So, I’ve been trying to brainstorm some ideas as to what to do, and decided that while this lizard will have an enclosure, I want it to be largely freeroam while I’m at home and can socialize with it. I read about how these lizards tended to congregate in large colonies along the river banks in Asia, so I figured that it would have some social needs, if not some very complex ones, so I’d figured that I’d let it chill with me when I could allow it.

I also thought about building a cat tree for it to perch on whenever it did have this free time. Now, I have only a few reptiles, but those I do have I spoil to death because they are my babies. I was thinking that I could have one large hide box with a cat bed in the middle level of this three story psuedo-tree, with the top floor being a basking area with a heat lamp and UVB light being hung from the ceiling. There will be PVC pipes going at a horizontal slope leading to each floor, sorta like branches. I’m also going to try and water-proof it somewhat, or at least the hidebox, so I could hook up a fogger in there. I have not sketched up a real true plan for this yet, so the whole kinks of it have yet to be worked out, but that’s basically what I’m wanting out of it. In general, do you think this would be a good and practical idea? My biggest concern is the poor guy getting a nail stuck in carpet, so I’m not sure what to line it with yet. If you have any ideas about that, just lemme know.

Now, for his actual cage, I’ve read that they tend to be very problematic with glass. My boy that I had years back was still only a baby so I had him in one of those sterlite bins with the cloudy sides, so I can’t judge for myself how bad they’re grasp on glass is. I’m wanting the enclosure to be basic with a few plywood ledges connected by dead tree branches I find, but I’d rather have a transparent side so we could at least watch each other whenever he is in there. I’ve done buckets of research and have heard about rubbing is this horrendous issue, but the trust I lend in caresheets is limited. I’d like the opinion of keepers if you guys don’t mind.

Finally, I only have snakes. I don’t have a colony of roaches set up yet but I want to have a fairly established colony by the time I get the baby. I’m getting it in April, so does anyone know how fast it takes for a colony of dubia roaches takes to establish before I can start feeding them off? I’m anxious that they might breed faster than I can feed, and vice versa, but since these are the only insect I see worth my time and effort actually breeding, I want to be able to get some solid numbers down. My old baby had to be force fed this slurry so I’m also not sure how bottomless their stomachs are- he just never ate solid food with me... If that one made any sense- I have a feeling I did a poor job explaining it.

Regardless, if you vets out there can show this lizard rookie the ropes, it’d be greatly appreciated. I’m trying to tread carefully this time and do it the right way.

11/02/15  05:51pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Jibbly   In reference to Message Id: 2315478

Some Ideas

Have you read the website
Tricias water dragon"
old site ....good info

11/16/15  06:34pm

Bakerzx
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2315742

Some Ideas

Large, large, large enclosures. Lots of humidity. Varied diet through variety or gut loading. Lots of love, patience and research.
Dragons, and any other lizard for that matter, rub because they feel trapped and want out. Dragons just seem to be more prone to this. I have plexi on my enclosure and haven’t had a rub yet; granted my enclosure is 6’x7’x3’. The bigger the better in a dragons world.

11/27/15  07:16pm

Milldabeast519
View Profile

Message To: Jibbly   In reference to Message Id: 2315478

Some Ideas

wild caught is complete un heard of since dragons are a dime a dozen and easy to breed it would be ridiculous to import on and that doesnt happen in america/canada..... free roaming is great but its hard to keep there needs. dragons are not a social animal. they prefer to be housed by themselves. they like there space. its hard to keep proper temps and humidity levels if your going to have them roaming in your house. you really think your gona keep your house at 85’f and 80% humidity?? usually it takes years to even be able to trust your dragon to do that. i use tinted glass in my tanks and they have never rubbed. and my one dragon has snout damaged from many year back before i received him so i know he used to rub. i have had dubias for over 10 years.... and i only used them as feeders for about 5 years... they couldnt keep up with my dragons. i had 3000+ colony and now im widdled down to around 400. ive stopped feeding for the last year and im trying to get the to bounce back. but they dont explode and breed like you would hope roaches would... for one dragon your gona need a solid few thousands atleast.

12/22/15  06:40am

Bakerzx
View Profile

Message To: Milldabeast519   In reference to Message Id: 2316214

Some Ideas

I agree on the Dubias. Our foster babies eat around 12-24 small to medium Dubias a day. That’s almost 200 a week and 2,000 a year. Plus their appetite will increase as they grow. I’ve never balked at Dubias because one Dubia is equal to about 8 crickets (nutrition wise). Plus, I don’t have to pull legs like I do with crickets. Bonus!!!!
I’ve yet to breed my own Dubias; I’m still trying to find a good heat source to promote breeding. A heat pad on a rubber tub just seems to risky to me.

12/26/15  03:08pm

Back to Water Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area