Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Water Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Batz   Takahiro111   Jibbly   Takahiro111  

Member  Message

Batz
View Profile

Need Advice

Hello all
I am thrilled there is a forum aside from the Facebook pages out there to get advice from.
So I decided after researching months ago that I would like a water dragon. So I went to the local pet store and found my baby girl Draga. I have had her for 4 months now. If I followed the growth chart it indicates that she is over a year old which she clearly is not. She is closer to 8 months old as I asked a local exotic reptile store owner. She is spoiled rotten
Has a 100 gallon tank with a 50 gallon indoor swim tank and a enclosed 300 gallon pool outside for the nice days.
So after some time and some more research I wanted to get her a friend. I was able to locate a female. She is a bit bigger then my Draga but like Draga lively, alert, eating no problem, having regular bowel movements, active and both in great spirits.
I am guessing that my new female Hydra is 9-10 months.
I am only guessing that Hydra is that old cause as she is slightly bigger than Draga.
Draga is extremely green and Hydra with proper care will get greener.
So now I have given you that information ( let me know if there is any additional information before giving me advice if needed, and I will gladly oblige)
My question is when and how can I introduce them. I have had Draga 4 months and Hydra for a week. Currently they are in separate tanks. Draga is in the home (100 gallon) tank that she’s been in for a month and this will be the same tank they will both be in for a bit until I build the bigger tank. So they will both be in the 100 gallon. But being that it is Draga"s tank and has been for a month how will she react to another female coming into "her territory"?
I just don’t know how or when to introduce. I thought about putting Hydra into a travel tank and putting it in the big tank and let them check each other out and do it every day for about 15-20 mins and see how it goes. But really open to any and all ideas 🐉

10/28/15  08:47pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Batz   In reference to Message Id: 2315426

Need Advice

Separate them. Reptiles are solitary animals they don’t need friends...they only come together for breeding

10/29/15  07:19pm

Jibbly
View Profile

Message To: Batz   In reference to Message Id: 2315426

Need Advice

I’ve read that they can be social in captivity, and in the wild they live in large colonies together. While I don’t see a problem with housing them alone, I think the stigma surrounding the social behaviors of lizards is largely incorrect. Agamids in general (which the water dragon belongs to) tend to be heavily social animals in particular with a complex hierarchy in place. Granted, very little accurate research has been done on the social lives of lizards, and much less of Chinese Water Dragons, but I have a few sources that support the fact that they are, in fact, social.

http://www.wired.com/2014/01/lizards-need-social-lives-too/

http://www.lincoln.ac.uk/news/2014/09/970.asp

http://www.waza.org/en/zoo/choose-a-species/reptiles/lizards-and-tuatara/physignathus-cocincinus (a small little tidbit about how males and females live together in the wild)

http://www.triciaswaterdragon.com/behavr.htm#Socialize

Now I’m unsure of how to introduce them, but I had to point out that these lizards may very well be more social than previously realized. Scientists are coming up with experiments now that can more accurately test their behaviors, so I think we’ll learn all sorts of neat things about our scaled friends.

11/02/15  06:08pm

Takahiro111
View Profile

Message To: Jibbly   In reference to Message Id: 2315479

Need Advice

Any animal can be social in captivity depending in which way... In my 13 years of owning reptiles I’ve learned they are solitary animals aside from breeding. I’ve housed Chinese and Australian water dragons as they were young(species separate) while they were ok with it until they got to juveniles and that when dominant issues began this happened with my Iggie’s and some other lizards I have owned. And their many ways to be social as I’ve seen in captivity like head bobing,raising up their bodies,puffiing up,opening their mouths and hand waving. Females may live with males depending on the animal itself because the male ccan stress the female by keep trying to breed with her.

11/03/15  09:24am

Back to Water Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area