Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Water Dragons Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Water Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Karlie96   Cphill58   Bakerzx   Cphill58   Bakerzx   Cphill58   Bakerzx   Cphill58  

Member  Message

Karlie96
View Profile

Baby chinese water dragon

hi i have a baby chinese water dragon hes in a 3x18x18 vivarium iv just bourght him a 6ft high 5 ft wide 2 ft deep what lighing is best for keeping it warm and is he to small to go init he semes to hide alot in his small tank now it think its because he cant get up high anuff help please iv had him a week and 2 days

10/11/15  06:18am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Karlie96   In reference to Message Id: 2315173

Best light for UVB and heat
Mega Ray 160 watt self ballasted lamp or the 275 watt
the 160 watt lamp will reach 18" deep and a little more ... will not heat the entire space but will provide a basking spot at 18" @ 90-100 F
The 275 watt lamp will reach 36 " deep and more and provide a basking spot of 90-100 F @ 36"

But you need more heat and I recommend 125 watt chicken brood lamps in clear color for daytime and a red 250 watt for night

This is a huge cage... do you have pictures??

Your reply gets my response

10/16/15  12:15am

Bakerzx
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2315239

My enclosure is 6’x7’x3’. I use 160 watt Exo Terra UVB bulb for my basking spots and then 4 4’ 6,500K full spectrum flouresecent lights for full spectrum lighting.
I prefer a cool down time at night with temps around 70°-74°. It seems to help with rest and stimulates activity and appetite. I did the 250 brooder at night, but I felt it was not as good a sleep for my herps.

10/16/15  04:50pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Bakerzx   In reference to Message Id: 2315248

I wanted to question you about the 160 exo terra... I went to the pet store last night for crickets. this allowed me to look at the actual boxes of various brands of UVB lamps.

my searches online for the actual graph , showing the relative UVB strength and intensity turned up very little so I was glad to see the actual box cover
Since 2007 I have been studying the retail lamps and been a member on a few forums. I own a solarmeter 6.2 UVB measuring meter. I wish they were more affordable so everyone could have 1. (230.00)

So I look at the Exo Terra 160 (SOLAR GLO) and the graph on the box doesn’t even register any usable UVB specifically between the area 0f 290 nm - 320 nm... and as it approaches the 400 nm mark it starts to climb up...and shows a large spike at approx 405-410 nm (UVA)

UVB frequencies of light are in the 290-320 nm range ... and no where else are they to be found... that is a fact.

This finally leads me to believe the exo terra solar glos are pure junk and I desperately want to lead you to a better lamp
AND SAVE YOU MONEY

I am not affiliated with the company, Im just a consumer as yourself. But I abhor the deceitful practice of the major brands.

Please investigate Reptileuv.com and seek out the owner, affectionately known as Bob Mac ...he has a face book page as well...called REPTILE UV

Ask any questions and do take advantage of the discount code BACK20% before it expires.

He offers the best lamp made for UVB ...there really is no comparison.

MEGA RAY

Cp

10/18/15  11:17am

Bakerzx
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2315277

What do you use for your UVB/ UVA bulbs? I’ve looked into Mega Ray, but I haven’t run into anyone with actual experience with them. Still on the fence.
Been using Exo Terra for years and have had good luck, but I’m always open and realize technology improves.

10/18/15  11:31am

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Bakerzx   In reference to Message Id: 2315280

UVB and UVA wavelengths
290 -320 UVB
320 starts into the UVA spectrum ...and continues into 400 ... and thus the visible spectrum by humans 400 and up

Just as the solar glo and power sun and amy mercury vapor lamp ... the Mega ray also produces the total spectrum ...

as you have your set up now with 5500k daylight for good visibility ... all you are really doing is replacing the mercury vapor lamp with one that really does produce UVB in the 80-130 microwatt strength

Microwatts is the term used for UVB intensity

Lets say the graph on the Exo terra box is misleading... maybe it does produce UVB in the 290-320 range
granted all the lamps and graphs I have looked at produce something ... maybe 10-20 microwatts
Powersun produces 60-80 microwatts when new... but quickly fades off in months to 25 microwatts ( what a waste of money)

Mega ray continues to produce 80-125 microwatts even 10-12 months after purchase

My first mega ray lamps was used for the CWD that passed ... this is when I dove in deep to get the best understanding possible. when I cared for that CWD he taught me so much

Im not telling you your experience with exo terra is wrong/false ...but maybe you can consider having a back up lamp when the solar glo burns out... m

I saw the retail price for exo terra... and about fell over...lol
If any of this is unclear due to my jumbled thought process ...just ask me to clarify any thing specifically

10/18/15  11:55am

Bakerzx
View Profile

Message To: Cphill58   In reference to Message Id: 2315281

Oh, I’ve had my share of Exo Terra mercury bulbs blow on me. Recently I had two go at once, but I had purchased them from an online store that was selling them for 50% off. So I attribute much of the failure to my cheap purchase.

I am very intrigued by Mega Ray. The price of mercury vapor bulbs is mind blowing. So, to make the switch isn’t a big deal price wise.

Starting a new thread as I feel we hijacked this poor woman’s thread.

10/18/15  01:10pm

Cphill58
View Profile

Message To: Bakerzx   In reference to Message Id: 2315284

Ok ...will look for it

10/18/15  01:20pm

Back to Water Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area