Water Dragons Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Water Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Glisle   Tempestborn   Glisle   Katlynn   Katlynn   Katlynn   Bakerzx  

Member  Message

Glisle
View Profile

CWD Feeding

I have just got my first Chinese Water Dragon and have some concerns over his feeding.

The previous owner told me he is 5 months old and should be fed every 4 days. After researching it says as he is young he should be fed everyday.

I was given some insects (best description is they look like beetles) in which he ate 4 5 days ago. Since then he has only eaten mealworms in which i understand is not a healthy diet. I have tried some locust but seems disinterested. Ileft some fruit/vegin his tank in which did dissapear so i assume he ate that.

What is the best way of feeding him? Should i just leave his food in his tank for him to ’hunt’ or should i be feeding him with my tweezers?

He appears to be in good health, active and tame to hold.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you

03/08/14  03:23pm

Tempestborn
View Profile

Message To: Glisle   In reference to Message Id: 2303940

CWD Feeding

ok. first, shame on those people! a growing water dragon needs food every day. it is unwise to leave bugs in the cage with a water dragon; some of them bite and can do terrible damage. many people have their wd’s accustomed to being fed in a different tank; it’s generally easier to take the lizard out of the cricket tank than it is to get the crickets out of the lizard’s cage.

mealworms are better treats than staple diet. my wd, stewie, liked earthworms; i had to cut them up for him (EEEWWW!!!). roaches have become more and more popular as a feeder; i raise discoids myself. i would never, ever feed mine feeder fish. i don’t trust them one bit. i had a friend lose two australian water dragons to parasites after they ate feeder fish. they can eat cooked chicken and beef in small amounts, and pinkies as they grow. i think when they are grown they’ll even eat hoppers, but i’m unsure about that. stewie never got that big. he was a rescue and 3 years old and 11 inches long. he’d tear up a pinkie, though.

i would say if he is active and healthy, then he just needs time to acclimatize to his new environment. reptiles in general don’t like change. make sure he has places to feel safe and hidden in his viv. often it takes a new lizard a few days to really come out of shock and realize it’s frightened. he just needs some time to adjust. it could take as much as a few weeks, although if he’s tame i wouldn’t expect it to take that long.

he’ll get hungry when he’s ready. you can try the tweezers, IF THEY ARE RUBBER. wd’s tend to be ferocious about eating and if they hit a tweezer hard, they can break a tooth and get infection from it. i was always inclined to either risk my fingers or just lay the offering in front of him.

meanwhile, be delighted if the little bugger will actually eat fruits and veggies. most wd’s look at their people as if we are trying to poison them!

now, obviously, if some time--however much you’re comfortable with--passes with no improvement, then it’s time to meet the nice veterinarian, but it just sounds like a normal transitional time to me.

jesse

03/08/14  07:28pm

Glisle
View Profile

Message To: Tempestborn   In reference to Message Id: 2303944

CWD Feeding

Thank you

his eaten a large morio worm which must of filled him up. Gonna experiment with some food to see if he is fussy and takenit from there.

03/10/14  12:34am

Katlynn
View Profile

Message To: Glisle   In reference to Message Id: 2303965

CWD Feeding

do u feed him greens which is Romans?

12/02/16  03:24pm

Katlynn
View Profile

Message To: Glisle   In reference to Message Id: 2303965

CWD Feeding

do u feed him greens which is Romans?

12/02/16  03:24pm

Katlynn
View Profile

Message To: Tempestborn   In reference to Message Id: 2303944

CWD Feeding

can they eat mealworm beetles?

12/02/16  03:26pm

Bakerzx
View Profile

Message To: Katlynn   In reference to Message Id: 2319839

CWD Feeding

I suggest you check out Tricia’s Water Dragon web page. It is full of information that is very helpful to the beginner water dragon owner.

http://www.triciaswaterdragon.com

12/21/16  05:50pm

Back to Water Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area