Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Water Dragons Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Water Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Cricket23   Rexxaroo   Minya   Rexxaroo   Cricket23   Rexxaroo   Lizardlol   Rexxaroo   Herpsarecoool   Rexxaroo   Rexxaroo  

Member  Message

Cricket23
View Profile

How to tame your dragon...

So, I have noticed this seems to be the one subject I had trouble researching. But then I was thinking, who better to ask than the ones who have been there, YOU!!! I was wondering if you all could take a minute to do a quick breakdown of your do’s and don’ts of taming your water dragon. The only thing I have read is holding them 15 minutes a day in the beginning. But that doesn’t help much. My dragon is young ( definitely under 6 months - about 2.5 inches stv ) and he definitely has spunk and energy. Right now when I hold him he will stay on me for a bit before jumping down to run to wherever he can get.

I would love to know your tips and tricks as no one else knows best! I really want to be the absolute best momma I can be and I want nothing more than for him to be comfortable not only in his home but with us, in his new environment. All is appreciated!

04/03/12  10:34pm

Rexxaroo
View Profile

Message To: Cricket23   In reference to Message Id: 2261341

Hey there Cricket! This is a topic that comes up pretty often and you’re smart to ask :)
Here is the breakdown of how i tamed Rexx:

For the first week i had him, i made no contact whatsoever other than feeding and misting and changing water. Since his cage was in my room, he was able to hear me and hear voices but could not see me.

During week two and three i would put my hand in his cage to either pet, hold, or handfeed him, twice a day. If your dragon seems afraid or doesnt react well to this, dont give up :) give him or her a few days and try again! I started with doing it once, then twice a day.

After Rexx was comfortable enough with letting me hold him inside his cage i attempted takinng him out and holding him near his cage so he could still see his "home" that way he felt safe. I did this for a few days then tried moving him further away. (in this case i set him on the bed) He was allowed to be out for 15 minutes at a time until he was comfortable with exploring my whole room. (He is only allowed in my room, the bathroom, and if he goes anywhere else in the house he is being held and not allowed to free roam)

***TIP**** handfeeding is an EXCELLENT way to build trust with these guys. Thankfully, they are one of the BEST tempered lizards out there, and are fairly easy to tame, i have never heard of a mean water dragon in captivity. When reaching for your dragon, dont grab him from above or move really fast, as he may take this as a threat or an attack. this will make him take longer to tame. Approach him from the front and kind of "walk" your fingers under his belly. Paitience is a virtue with these things :) it pays off :)*****

Talk to him alot, ask him questions, like
-want to come out?
-want a treat?
-are you hungry?
-do you want to play?

After they are comfortable with you handling them inside, they can go outside!! It is best i have found to wait till they are a little older to go outside where you can either have them in a screened in area or enclosed space, (porch, outdoor cage, etc.) or use a leash and harness. My harness is actually a modified ferret harness a close friend bought me after rexx had an incident with being stuck in a tree :P

Rexx responds to his name, and will ask to come out if he sees me near or around the cage. He will go to the nearest door and scratch at it until i let him out. If ignore him he puffs up and just glares at me when he sees me next :) so cute when he gets all flustered. You can train them to know when it is time for food. By tapping on the side of the cage or using a similar type of sound correlation method, they will come to know that ’’ tap tap = yummy ’’ I use this method with rexx except it is a sight trigger by using silver forceps. My fish come to the top of their tank when i tap the side, as they know it is time to eat. This is a neat method and really shows how smart these guys are :) I hope i helped and maybe some others can give you some tips too!! Good luck!

Rexx

04/03/12  11:01pm

Minya
View Profile

Message To: Rexxaroo   In reference to Message Id: 2261345

rexx has lots of cool tips. another i would add is to keep to a routine, i.e., feeding, changing pool water, lights, etc. that way your dragon trusts that you will be there at a certain time of day. it will go a long way in taming to stick to a routine.

04/04/12  06:46am

Rexxaroo
View Profile

Message To: Minya   In reference to Message Id: 2261378

Ahh see, good ol Minya :) that’s something I didn’t add haha. I always have set times when he is fed and make fridays my cage cleaning day

Rexx

04/04/12  12:54pm

Cricket23
View Profile

Message To: Rexxaroo   In reference to Message Id: 2261424

You guys are outstanding! This really helped so much. I wouldn’t have thought of some of this. Thanks for the help! It’s always appreciated. :)

04/04/12  03:22pm

Rexxaroo
View Profile

Message To: Cricket23   In reference to Message Id: 2261448

Hey, no problem! Its what we are here for :)

Rexx

04/04/12  03:27pm

Lizardlol
View Profile

Message To: Rexxaroo   In reference to Message Id: 2261451

first where is the cage if it is some where you hang out he will get used to you by hearing your voice after a week put your hand in and pet him after he gets comfortable with you pick him up over the cage then try to hold him completley out of the cage also you can try puting him in the bath tub no water and letting him run around for a little bit

04/08/12  08:27pm

Rexxaroo
View Profile

Message To: Lizardlol   In reference to Message Id: 2262031

Bumping for herpsarecool :))

Rexx

04/11/12  10:33am

Herpsarecoool
View Profile

Message To: Rexxaroo   In reference to Message Id: 2262334

Thanks rexx. Most welcoming forum evar!!!

04/11/12  10:54am

Rexxaroo
View Profile

Message To: Herpsarecoool   In reference to Message Id: 2262339

Bumping for another new owner :)

Rexx

04/12/12  02:52pm

Rexxaroo
View Profile

Message To: Rexxaroo   In reference to Message Id: 2262487