Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Water Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Water Dragons Forum

Corylizardman   Ryoflex36   Corylizardman   Dragos mom   Corylizardman   Dragos mom   TwilightDreamer1979   Dragos mom   TwilightDreamer1979   Corylizardman   Dragos mom   Corylizardman   Dragos mom   Ryoflex36   Dragos mom   Corylizardman   Dragos mom   Corylizardman   Corylizardman   Ryoflex36   Corylizardman   Ryoflex36   Ryoflex36   Corylizardman   Corylizardman   Ryoflex36   Dragos mom   Corylizardman   Dragos mom   Corylizardman   Dragos mom  
 Member  Message

Corylizardman
View Profile

Cages

Can a chinese water dragon live in a reptarium

Buddy my chinese water dragon

11/02/04  9:02pm
Sorry, No Replies

Ryoflex36
View Profile

Message To: Corylizardman   In reference to Message Id: 174132

Cages

Yes they can! Mr.Green has his housed in one right now. Also Ryan07 has practically built a reptarium. Search for there profiles and check out there pictures. This will give you an idea. It’s alittle hard to keep both heat and humidity up, but it can be done!
~Ryo~

11/02/04  9:35pm
Sorry, No Replies

Corylizardman
View Profile

Message To: Ryoflex36   In reference to Message Id: 174158

Cages

what size should i get and what sort of supplies should i put in it

11/02/04  11:56pm
Sorry, No Replies

Dragos mom
View Profile

Message To: Corylizardman   In reference to Message Id: 174294

Cages

usual CWD requirements-UVB lighting, basking spot, ceramic emitter or heat source for 84-88F daytime temps (-10F for night) a large water source which can be changed at least daily. UVB requirements and temperature are MUSTS. Humidity requirements-ideal = 80%. This will be hard to achieve with a reptarium, but misting several times a day will help! Buddy will also need some climbing branches and some shaded areas to hide in. He will need the lights on a timer so he has 10 hours of darkness. :)

11/03/04  8:57am
Sorry, No Replies

Corylizardman
View Profile

Message To: Dragos   In reference to Message Id: 174395

Cages

ok i have a red lamp ,i ussually open up my window and let the sun and air come in, would that be ok for uvb/uva??. I can get the humidity. But what kinda size should i get. Also i can turn off the lights by hand.

11/03/04  10:48am
Sorry, No Replies

Dragos mom
View Profile

Message To: Corylizardman   In reference to Message Id: 174424

Cages

If you are in a climate where you can expose Buddy to at least 20 minutes of direct sunlight per day then that will replace the UVB requirements (or so I’ve read). Just as long as Buddy has a photoperiod he should be happy. Lights on/off per the daylight outside should be fine. CWD can grow to 3 feet long. Unless you want to upgrade each time he grows-you should buy the biggest size. By the time Buddy is 24 months old he will be 2-3 feet long (about 3/4 of that length will be tail) CWD live in trees so a taller rather than wider reptarium is desirable. Put climbing branches in an upright position so he can go up!:)

11/03/04  2:31pm
Sorry, No Replies

TwilightDreamer1979
View Profile

Message To: Dragos   In reference to Message Id: 174490

Cages

direct sunlight, ie, not through glass
UV light does not go through glass.

TD.x.

11/03/04  4:05pm
Sorry, No Replies

Dragos mom
View Profile

Message To: TwilightDreamer1979   In reference to Message Id: 174533

Cages

Sorry, I would have mentioned that except he said he was opening his window, so I figured he probably already knew about the glass/acrylic UVB blocking tendencies. By the way, how are the beardie eggs? Should be close to hatching, no?:)

11/03/04  4:27pm
Sorry, No Replies

TwilightDreamer1979
View Profile

Message To: Dragos   In reference to Message Id: 174547

Cages

lol no I’m sorry - I just wanted to make it VERY clear - you’d be amazed how many people don’t know this??

Eggs are looking good .. still not hatch yet ...actually they are due for a check lol

TD.x.

11/03/04  6:35pm
Sorry, No Replies

Corylizardman
View Profile

Message To: TwilightDreamer1979   In reference to Message Id: 174615

Cages

also i have a problem with buddy. Ive had him for about 4 months and the only places he has shed is his eyes and tail, i s there something wrong with him.

11/03/04  6:52pm
Sorry, No Replies

Dragos mom
View Profile

Message To: Corylizardman   In reference to Message Id: 174637

Cages

First thing is: he needs to outgrow his skin before he sheds, so when he has grown enough-he’ll shed. To shed he needs proper humidity levels to help assist with the natural shedding. If your humidity is not high enough, you can help him shed by allowing him to soak in your tub. Tepid water and put something in for him to climb on so he doesn’t get scared. Let him soak. I let me guys soak for 20 minutes or so but I try not to let them get too cold. When Buddy has a growth spurt you will notice his color getting a little dull and brownish and then he’ll start to peel. Within a few days, Buddy will be the most beautiful green yuou’ve ever seen. Sometimes it takes weeks for them to shed entirely.:)

11/03/04  7:59pm
Sorry, No Replies

Corylizardman
View Profile

Message To: Dragos   In reference to Message Id: 174679

Cages

hes only about 9.5 inches so should i fill up the bath tub to the poitn where he can swim or when he goes into the water he can stand still without drowing, and ill put is big stick think in there.

11/03/04  10:42pm
Sorry, No Replies

Dragos mom
View Profile

Message To: Corylizardman   In reference to Message Id: 174779

Cages

I just put in enough water so mine can stand with their heads out. They swim for a little while and then climb on the rock I put in for them. Make sure that you disinfect the tub with bleach and rinse it really well after thy’ve been in. Also, make sure that you rinse the tub good BEFORE you put Buddy in to make sure you’ve removed any shampoo, soap and cleaning residue that might remain in the tub. Some CWD get a little scared, so don’t leave him the first couple of times and get him out if he acts too frightened. It’s very much fun to watch them swim! :)

11/04/04  8:34am
Sorry, No Replies

Ryoflex36
View Profile

Message To: Dragos   In reference to Message Id: 174919

Cages

This is really off topic but I had a dream about a week ago that my dragons (IF THEY EVER COME GRRR!) Got put in the tub to soak and all of a sudden the water turned blue. Here they were painted or sprayed blue by the breeder I’m buying them from. LoL!
~Ryo~

11/04/04  7:43pm
Sorry, No Replies

Dragos mom
View Profile

Message To: Ryoflex36   In reference to Message Id: 175317

Cages

Was your dream preceded by perhaps a drinking binge? LOL Just kidding! Can’t believe your dragons haven’t arrived. Where are they?

11/04/04  8:35pm
Sorry, No Replies

Corylizardman
View Profile

Message To: Dragos   In reference to Message Id: 175365

Cages

what can i scrub it with cause i really dont want to use bleach or anything becuse every one uses the bathroom

11/04/04  8:55pm
Sorry, No Replies

Dragos mom
View Profile

Message To: Corylizardman   In reference to Message Id: 175389

Cages

5% bleach solution is best. CWD have salmonella in their feces so you just want to make sure to sanitize the tub for other members of your family. Just rinse real well before you soak buddy. If you want you can get him a small plastic container ( I paid $5.00 for one at Dollar General) and let him swim in that. You can store it under the bed or something and use it only for Buddy!

11/04/04  9:28pm
Sorry, No Replies

Corylizardman
View Profile

Message To: Dragos   In reference to Message Id: 175403

Cages

we do have a plastic container, thanks!! Also i might get a 38 gallon reptarium and im think of putting a real plant in it, what kind should i get

11/04/04  9:30pm
Sorry, No Replies

Corylizardman
View Profile

Message To: Corylizardman   In reference to Message Id: 175404

Cages

and would tap water be ok for buddy

11/04/04  9:31pm
Sorry, No Replies

Ryoflex36
View Profile

Message To: Corylizardman   In reference to Message Id: 175405

Cages

I bought a 285 gallone reptarium...Man is that thing big. LoL! I thought it would be good for outside bathing and basking. Only problem is, I didn’t realize how tightly woven it is. So the basking it out of the question because of the uvb not getting through it. I would cut the top out but then if they climb up and out?!?!? And also the sun would have to be directly over it. I’d hate to waste it by doing this but I was thinking of wrapping hardware cloth around the entire frame and doing that, but it’s a waste of a good reptarium. So I’m going to use it for them when I need to clean out the viv or if I have to seperate them or quarantine one for something. It’s nice and roomy. Very tall at 72" and is nice if I lay it down too. Nice and long then. So either or it will be used. You can use tap water. Do you have a brita tap on your faucet or a on your pitcher? That will help purify it.
~Ryo~

11/04/04  9:57pm
Sorry, No Replies

Corylizardman
View Profile

Message To: Ryoflex36   In reference to Message Id: 175421

Cages

no we dont i have a filter thing on my fridge that is about room temp and would that be ok?? Also ive been doing research so i know i can get a reptarium and be ok i just need to know what kinda plants and stuff to put in it to help keep humidity up

11/04/04  10:01pm
Sorry, No Replies

Ryoflex36
View Profile

Message To: Corylizardman   In reference to Message Id: 175425

Cages

I only remember a few by name. There is a post not too far down listing the types of plants that are safe to use. I’ll bump it up for you. My dragons, I called the breeder I bought them from and they were not in. I did leave a message though. I called Fed-Ex and there looking into it. Hopefully nothing bad has happened. And since it’s been four days in delivery I hope there okay. Warm and fed is what I’m worrying about. I’d hate to have them come in bad shape and die because of it. I’d feel like I killed them.
~Ryo~

11/04/04  10:04pm
Sorry, No Replies

Ryoflex36
View Profile

Message To: Ryoflex36   In reference to Message Id: 175427

Cages

Well I couldn’t find it but I know there is one with a list of safe plants to use. Sorry!
~Ryo~

11/04/04  10:17pm
Sorry, No Replies

Corylizardman
View Profile

Message To: Ryoflex36   In reference to Message Id: 175440

Cages

would a fridge filter be ok

11/04/04  10:42pm
Sorry, No Replies

Corylizardman
View Profile

Message To: Corylizardman   In reference to Message Id: 175467

Cages

would a sterlite rubber container be good to give a chinese water dragon a bath in or does the film on it let of to much chemicals

11/04/04  11:10pm
Sorry, No Replies

Ryoflex36
View Profile

Message To: Corylizardman   In reference to Message Id: 175510

Cages

Actually if you get one like a tubbermaid or something or even sterlite, it could work. Just thoroughly clean it before you use it. I know some people who house snakes in those with heat on them, and when things heat up they usually smell more so it’s safe if you wash it good.
~Ryo~

11/05/04  7:59am
Sorry, No Replies

Dragos mom
View Profile

Message To: Ryoflex36   In reference to Message Id: 175617

Cages

I have Draecena (dragon plant), ficus benjamina and a corn plant in my viv. You can buy chlorine remover (cheap) in the fish dept. almost anywhere. I use Reptisafe or Jurassic Safe. You just add a few drops in the water. You can also use "stale" water. Just fill the bathtub container 24 hrs. before you want to soak Buddy and let the chlorine automatically dissipate over the 24 hr. period. Chlorine won’t hurt him but it will dry out his skin and leave a whitish residue on him. It’s better to use the stale water. Sounds like you are really trying hard to do a good job with Buddy’s home.:)

11/05/04  8:14am
Sorry, No Replies

Corylizardman
View Profile

Message To: Dragos   In reference to Message Id: 175626

Cages

I am i dont want to screw up on it cause the pet store lies

11/05/04  7:37pm
Sorry, No Replies

Dragos mom
View Profile

Message To: Corylizardman   In reference to Message Id: 175883

Cages

I am not sure they "lie", but they answer questions when they shouldn’t. It is always a good idea to do your own research and these forums are full of other people who have experienced some of the same problems and conditions that others are trying to solve. This is the friendliest and most helpful of all the different forums that I belong to.:)

11/05/04  7:59pm
Sorry, No Replies

Corylizardman
View Profile

Message To: Dragos   In reference to Message Id: 175897

Cages

Here are some new picks of buddys bath that was made today

Its and aqarium, i turn on the 2 little lights at the top so its gets nice and humid in ther and like a sanna to buddy, although he doesnt really swim around he just stays in one place for some reason.

11/06/04  2:35pm
Sorry, No Replies

Dragos mom
View Profile

Message To: Corylizardman   In reference to Message Id: 176316

Cages

That is a Greaaat idea. He’ll swim when he feels like it, but allowing him to get nice and wet in a good, humid environment will help him when he needs to shed.:)

11/06/04  3:40pm
Sorry, No Replies

Back to Water Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area