Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Water Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Water Dragons Forum

Mitchie   TwilightDreamer1979   Blue eyes   Mitchie   Babigirl_70   Blue eyes   Rich_UK   Stocksan  
 Member  Message

Mitchie
View Profile

Somethings Wrong :’(

Something is wrong with Mitch. He isn’t using his back legs as often as he usually does, and when he’s laying down he keeps them straight behind him....I’m taking him to the vet on Saturday but does anyone know what could be the problem?

Thank you for the help in advance.....
Erin and Mitch

09/22/04  11:39am
Sorry, No Replies

TwilightDreamer1979
View Profile

Message To: Mitchie   In reference to Message Id: 147099

Somethings Wrong :(

not using his back legs sounds serious - when a lizard is impacted (food stuffs, or something else they’ve ingested lodged in the gut) they can lose the use of their back legs, the eventual outcome is death :(

Is you WD going to the toilet?
When was the last time he pooped?

What’s he eating?
What substrate are you using?

Get him to the vet asap ... even if i’m wrong (which I really hope I am) not using the back legs is not a good sign :(

TD.x.

09/22/04  1:00pm
Sorry, No Replies

Blue eyes
View Profile

Message To: TwilightDreamer1979   In reference to Message Id: 147150

If impaction is a possibility roll up a towl or a wash cloth (I don’t know how large your dragon is) it will roll easier if wet make it into a dougnut shape and rest front legs on one side and back legs on the other so that the abdomen hangs down in the center. This will help take pressure off of the spine.

09/22/04  1:03pm
Sorry, No Replies

Mitchie
View Profile

Message To: TwilightDreamer1979   In reference to Message Id: 147150

Yes he is going to the toilet however, We found rocks in his poop....the problem with that is there are no rocks in his tank and he doesn’t have access to any rocks.
I’ve changed his water last night and he pooped since then so he is pooping. He eats crickets, king worms, earth worms, he’s eaten two pinkies in the past two weeks as well as four slices of banana. he refused the banana last night though.
His substrate is.....I don’t remember what it is called, but it is wood chips that I got from the pet store. It said it was for waterdragons.
I’m taking him to the vet on Saturday that was the soonest I could get the appointment. He still uses his back legs, but its not very often. I’m scared......I hope he’ll be okay.

09/22/04  1:11pm
Sorry, No Replies

Babigirl_70
View Profile

Message To: Mitchie   In reference to Message Id: 147161

Hey there.........not sure about the rocks in his poo, but Blaze stretches his legs out behind him while he’s laying down all of the time. For Blaze, it’s more of a relaxing, and lazy thing then a problem. Do you think maybe this could be the case with Mitch as well?

-Natalie

09/22/04  2:32pm
Sorry, No Replies

Blue eyes
View Profile

Message To: Babigirl_70   In reference to Message Id: 147196

I wondered that as well but relaxing with them stretched out and not useing them are two different things. If you tell the vet what is wrong they will get you in sooner. If they don’t then you need to find a different vet because that is serious.

09/22/04  3:41pm
Sorry, No Replies

Rich_UK
View Profile

Message To: Blue   In reference to Message Id: 147227

my wd stretches her legs out when she has had loads to eat, it helps with digestion i think. anyway hope your dragon is ok

09/22/04  4:49pm
Sorry, No Replies

Stocksan
View Profile

Message To: Rich_UK   In reference to Message Id: 147270

When you said that there is rocks in his poop, I’m no doctor, but could that be kidney stones?

09/23/04  2:55am
Sorry, No Replies

Back to Water Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area