Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Water Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Water Dragons Forum

Babydolls   WaterDragonsLair   Saf   Babydolls   Babydolls   Saf   Babydolls   Saf   JakePRouse   Saf   Eyespy   Babydolls   TwilightDreamer1979   Babydolls   WaterDragonsLair   Eyespy   TwilightDreamer1979   Eyespy   TwilightDreamer1979   Eyespy   TwilightDreamer1979   Eyespy   Master Debator  
 Member  Message

Babydolls
View Profile

How to heat without power

Hello all! I have been reading all your post for sometime and I think you are all great with the info. I have a question to see if anybody has had this problem. What can I do to keep my water dragon warm when the power is out. He is about 6 months from what the pet shop told me. I dont want Draco to get to cold. Please anybody who can help I would love the infor.

09/16/04  11:02am
Sorry, No Replies

WaterDragonsLair
View Profile

Message To: Babydolls   In reference to Message Id: 143122

I have had this problem many times, I take empty soda bottles and fill them with hot water and place them in the vivariuams, I have also placed them in a smaller tank and used freezer bags filled with hot water and then place pillow cases over the bags so that they are not to hot. It all depends on how big your vivarium is. We also purchased a generator for the times that we have lost power for several days in a row. Please post a picture of your guy I would love to see it. Good luck hope this helped.

09/16/04  11:11am
Sorry, No Replies

Saf
View Profile

hey, well i keep my dragon in my bed room so my rooms always hot so if the light brakes or there is know power my room stays hot and so does my viv, how long does the power go out for?? if its not long then hell b fine if the temps drop a bit but if its for along time i dont no...u could try a battry powerd lamp? i dont no if they exsist tho, can u get battry powerd heat mats? hmm thats a treaky 1, ohh another idea, u could put some sort of insuling, like foam stuff around the tank/viv that would keep heat in it or another idea, u could put in a hot water bottle on the floor so that he could sit on it and keep his body temp warm, would that work? if u kept putting warm water in when it got to cold? that wouldnt do for long tearm tho... hmmm....
xx saf xx

09/16/04  11:15am
Sorry, No Replies

Babydolls
View Profile

Message To: WaterDragonsLair   In reference to Message Id: 143125

Thanks that is a good idea He is in a 29 gal right now tell he gets bigger. We are going to make one here soon. I wish i could post a pic but dont have a scaner to do it with. He is so cute though i love him so much and have only had him 4 months its crazy how they grow on you

09/16/04  11:15am
Sorry, No Replies

Babydolls
View Profile

Message To: Babydolls   In reference to Message Id: 143127

The power has not gone out yet just wanted to be ready for when it does Thanks for the info you guys are great i normally get my info from other post thats why i have never wrote i will try and keep up with you guys now

09/16/04  11:18am
Sorry, No Replies

Saf
View Profile

Message To: Babydolls   In reference to Message Id: 143128

well hope sum idea helps u!! yes u should join in! the more the betta :) and its fun hehe,

09/16/04  11:23am
Sorry, No Replies

Babydolls
View Profile

Message To: Saf   In reference to Message Id: 143129

you guys are funny i am at work when i get on and i will bust out laughing sometimes the people just look at me strang

09/16/04  11:29am
Sorry, No Replies

Saf
View Profile

Message To: Babydolls   In reference to Message Id: 143131

lol yea there a mad bunch (not me ov course im sencible and quite hehe lol )

09/16/04  11:34am
Sorry, No Replies

JakePRouse
View Profile

Message To: Saf   In reference to Message Id: 143134

HAHAHAHA, "sencible and quite" she says ....Oy

Another thought might be a solar panel&batery .... proly a little expensive ... but just another thought.

09/16/04  2:35pm
Sorry, No Replies

Saf
View Profile

Message To: JakePRouse   In reference to Message Id: 143209

I feel ur picking on me Jacob!! lol i am very quite...well was till u came along :P

09/16/04  2:37pm
Sorry, No Replies

Eyespy
View Profile

You can also buy heat packs that will raise the temps for around 20-40 hours depending on which kind you buy. They do use up oxygen so make sure the enclosure is very well-ventilated. Many cricket suppliers and pet supply stores sell them. Here’s a link to one vendor.

09/16/04  3:23pm
Sorry, No Replies

Babydolls
View Profile

Message To: Eyespy   In reference to Message Id: 143224

Thinks guys for all the info i might look for the heat packs to keep around just in case the power goes out.

09/17/04  6:53am
Sorry, No Replies

TwilightDreamer1979
View Profile

Message To: Babydolls   In reference to Message Id: 143604

The bottles filled with water and the hotwater bottles idea’s are good ;) as long as they are covered so not to burn your WD.

If the power is out for a few days your WD will need exposure to natural sunlight

another thought on heat - has anyone heard of those pocket/hand warmers? small bags of some kind of grain that take on your body heat and stay warm for ages.... a couple of these pre warmed by yourself might be good for night time use for your WD to sleep on??

TD.x.

09/17/04  10:43am
Sorry, No Replies

Babydolls
View Profile

Message To: TwilightDreamer1979   In reference to Message Id: 143671

Glad you said something about the hand warmer i can get them here at my works company store for like $2. They do stay warm for sometime.

09/17/04  10:54am
Sorry, No Replies

WaterDragonsLair
View Profile

Message To: Babydolls   In reference to Message Id: 143680

Thanks for the heat pack idea, I just ordered some to have on hand for the winter, I always thought that their was some chemical in them that would kill the dragons. I will make sure if I have to use them that its well ventelated. Is their a diffrence between the hand warmers and the ones called heat packs? chemical wise? or is it the same thing just a diffrence name and price?

09/17/04  11:01am
Sorry, No Replies

Eyespy
View Profile

Message To: WaterDragonsLair   In reference to Message Id: 143685

Hand warmers can indeed contain toxic chemicals, you need to make sure it’s a heat pack made for insects and small animals. They work by burning oxygen to generate heat rather than acids and other chemical reactions.

09/17/04  2:26pm
Sorry, No Replies

TwilightDreamer1979
View Profile

Message To: Eyespy   In reference to Message Id: 143782

Thanks for that eyespy

There are some available that are just bags of wheat or someother natural product??? ....... if anyone tried this, do make sure you read up on them first.

TD.x.

09/17/04  2:31pm
Sorry, No Replies

Eyespy
View Profile

Message To: TwilightDreamer1979   In reference to Message Id: 143786

I don’t know much about those, since they generally are heated in the microwave. Not much use when there’s no electricity so I never bothered researching them to see how long they last.

You wouldn’t want to use boiling water on anything containing organic materials such as rice or grains or you’ll have a bigtime mold and spoilage issue.

09/17/04  2:41pm
Sorry, No Replies

TwilightDreamer1979
View Profile

Message To: Eyespy   In reference to Message Id: 143791

I was thinking of the ones that work off your own body heat ..... ??

Ill have a look around tmrw and see if i can find what i’m taking about .....

TD.x.

09/17/04  2:49pm
Sorry, No Replies

Eyespy
View Profile

Message To: TwilightDreamer1979   In reference to Message Id: 143793

Reptiles don’t generate any body heat, so they would basically draw needed heat from their bodies at a time when they need it most. Just like wrapping them in blankets, that’s something that only works for the warm-blooded creatures.

09/17/04  2:52pm
Sorry, No Replies

TwilightDreamer1979
View Profile

Message To: Eyespy   In reference to Message Id: 143794

no I ment human bodyheat.... The owner uses their body heat to heat the bag then they can use it for their WD....

Sorry, I’m not explaining myself very well this evening - very tired.

TD.x.

09/17/04  3:01pm
Sorry, No Replies

Eyespy
View Profile

Message To: TwilightDreamer1979   In reference to Message Id: 143799

Those things work by staying in direct contact with a warm-blooded creature so they can continuously draw off body heat and use it to generate even more heat. They aren’t nearly as effective once removed from their warm-blooded heat source.

09/17/04  3:11pm
Sorry, No Replies

Master Debator
View Profile

Message To: Eyespy   In reference to Message Id: 143804

give him a warm bath when the power oes out too that will hold him for quite a while.

09/17/04  9:20pm
Sorry, No Replies

Back to Water Dragons Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area