Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Water Dragons-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Water Dragons-Breeding Forum

Alex1356   Finners   Alex1356   Finners   Pdragon65  
 Member  Message

Alex1356
View Profile

Babies???

Just wondering because my little Manuela is looking more like a Magnum everyday...how old (length and age) do WD have to be to mate? And if they do, how do you know if sheís carrying eggs? how and where do they lay them? what do I need to do to prepare? any help anyone can possibly give me? because I canít seperate them, but I canít exactly stop them either lol I wanna know just incase manny and libby start doing stuff

08/30/06  10:37am

Finners
View Profile

Message To: Alex1356   In reference to Message Id: 963782

Babies???

Do you want to deal with from anywhere from 6-20 or so hatchlings a year? If not, you might want to think about ways to seperate them, or you may want to freeze their eggs if you canít care for them. (this kills the embryo, so they canít hatch in a land fill somewhere) They can lay anywhere from 1-4 clutches in a year with around 7-14 eggs each time. My dragon laid 3 clutches this year with the average number of eggs being 7 (they were infertile...no male)
They need to be sexaully mature at 18-24 inches. Females lay eggs every year after being sexually mature, no matter what, even if they are with a male or not. These eggs are infertile (obviously) All female water dragons will need a lay box after they become sexually mature. You can get a box or a place where they can dig at. You will need either sterile dirt or eco-earth or something that can be moist enough for them to dig in without the hole caving back in. This needs to be about 6 inches deep for them to dig a proper hole. They will dig a nice hole (they are very pickey about the hole) and when they are satisfied with the hole, they will stick their butt over the hole and start laying. If you donít see them doing it, you may not know. They bury those eggs soooo well, that you wouldnít know they layed if you donít watch them. So you might want to put an X through the dirt so you can tell when they dig.
Many times a dragon will stop eating for a short period of time or spend a lot of time in the water when they are further along. The eggs push on their stomachís and make it uncomfortable to eat much. Some dragons will eat up to the day they lay, sometimes they wonít. Rogue, on of my dragons, ate up to the day she laid her first clutch, but with the next 2 cluctches after that, she stopped eating weeks before hand. They will get fatter and sometimes look lumpy. THe eggs look like large white jelly beans. Iím amazed how many they can fit in their tiny tummies. They are quite big. Sorry if this is jumbled, but I hope this helps.
Oh and you will really want to increase the calcium intake with females during the egg laying time. They will take calcium from their bones to make the eggs, if they donít have enough...and that will cause MBD, and we dontí want that!

08/30/06  09:09pm

Alex1356
View Profile

Message To: Finners   In reference to Message Id: 964665

Babies???

WOw thanks so much! If it turns out theyíre both females and lay their clutches anyways, what do you do with the eggs? And if one is a male and they are fertile, what do you do witht he eggs??? And what do you use for a lay box, just som eco-eath in a kitty litter pan or what? Thanks for the help!

08/30/06  09:44pm

Finners
View Profile

Message To: Alex1356   In reference to Message Id: 964727

Babies???

Oh your welcome. Thast what we are here for. :)
If they are both females, just make sure you have plenty of room for both of them to dig and be happy....then when they have the eggs, just toss them. They are infertile. If they are oppisite sex then depending on if you want babies or not you will do one of two things.
If you arenít prepared for babies or do not want to take care of them or find homes, you will need to put the eggs in the freezer to kill off the embryos so they wonít hatch someplace in a landfill or someplace else unsafe. This may seem cruel, but its better than having no way to take care of all those babies, or letting them hatch someplace unsafe.
If you do want to keep the babies, you will want to take the eggs out, carefully not turning them from the way they were laid, and you will want to incubate them. YOu can look at tricias site for my info on this or take a peak around this site. I think there is info on incubating them a few post down. Im not great on that, because iíve never had to do it.
For the lay box, a deep kittie litter pan with sterile dirt or eco-earth would work. I use a large plastic box, although iím going to change this to eco-earth over the whole bottom of my cage soon. I hope this works out just as well. They just need a place of dirt about 6 inches deep to dig in. Its really amazing to watch the whole thing. Its just like they know what to do exactly. I find it interesting to watch.

08/30/06  10:15pm

Pdragon65
View Profile

Message To: Finners   In reference to Message Id: 964773

Babies???

My two lizards satoshi and Yosha have had lizarded love for the first time tonight and I hope they do it a couple more times. Im not sure if they can do it once and that is it or they have to do it a couple more times. How long does it take for them to start laying the eggs.

01/07/07  09:50pm

Back to Water Dragons-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area