Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Water Dragons-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Water Dragons-Breeding Forum

SAMBOYZ   Pukey Bear   Dragonbreeder   Clouddancer22  
 Member  Message

SAMBOYZ
View Profile

Experts on breeding please help.

I need to know what i need to do when my female lays eggs.
Do i need a incubator? if so how much and where do i get them?
What is a lay box? i dont know why i might need a lay box can someone please tell me.
Do i need to seperate?

Please help me any information would be really helpful thankyou.

03/25/07  05:29am

Pukey Bear
View Profile

Message To: SAMBOYZ   In reference to Message Id: 1221272

You need a hova bator incubator. They are white styrofoam looking contraptions. Have it running a week before your dragon lays eggs so that it is at a stable temp and humidity. Make sure to use pearl lite as your substrate in a tuperware container with holes in the lid. Needs to be small enough to place in the hova bator. I used pearl lite mixed with the same soil my dragon laid her eggs in here, but should have used pearl lite only..no soil. Vermiculite doesn’t seem to work for water dragon eggs...at least not for mine yet! Pearl Lite will be the better substrate. See the hova bator on top of my terrarium? Hope this helps get you started.

05/09/07  03:42pm

Dragonbreeder
View Profile

Message To: Pukey Bear   In reference to Message Id: 1275788

ive used vermiculite the last 2 times, ive got 2 hatchlings last time & 3 this time (more hatching soon i hope haha)

so vermiculite can be used so long as u keep humidity high
Erik

08/20/07  07:27am

Clouddancer22
View Profile

Message To: Dragonbreeder   In reference to Message Id: 1410827

Pukey Bear, that is some dry looking substrate you’ve got your eggs on! Is that your wd tank under the hovabator?

Both substrates will work, as long as you keep them moist. I personally use perlite, 1:3 with water, and peat moss on top. I mist daily or as needed. As the substrate begins to dry out, I carefully add more distilled water (no chlorine) down the sides of the tub.

I use a hovabator as well, but you can make your own incubator from a styrofoam ice chest. If you do a search on incubators, I am sure you will find alot.

Yes, you must a laybox. Or, alternatively, have a really deep end in your viv using eco-earth. They need to dig a big hole to bury their eggs. If you do not provide such a place, your dragon may not lay and could become egg-bound and die.

08/21/07  11:06am

Back to Water Dragons-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area