Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Water Dragons-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Water Dragons-Breeding Forum

Dungeon girl   Finners   Dungeon girl   Finners   Waterdrago   Dungeon girl  
 Member  Message

Dungeon girl
View Profile

Layed eggs!!!! Help!

Little girl layed her eggs yesterday.. I went out and got this overpriced incubator.
Long story short the only reason I know she layed her eggs asside from her diminished belly is that my boyfriend happened to witness it. If he hadnít seen it we would not have known where, she did a good job covering them up and burrowed under her log. She hated her lay box so I wound up piling dirt around her log where she had been digging.

Funny thing is after we took the eggs to incubate them she reburied the spot they where in hope she wasnít sad!

Hereís the dilemma my other female lizard sped, is also going to lay eggs soon. Iím not going to be around much this week so I canít guarantee us witnessing the act!
If Iím late in finding her lay spot how long will the eggs be ok?
Is it necessary to separate her? or is there a way I can encourage her to lay in one spot? (lay boxes are out) and I have a very large enclosure! Help!!

11/03/06  02:19pm

Finners
View Profile

Message To: Dungeon girl   In reference to Message Id: 1046868

Layed eggs!!!! Help!

They do hide and bury their eggs VERY well. My dragon Rogue laid her eggs, and luckily I witnessed her getting ready and laying all 3 times. They actually pack the dirt down really tight with their noses. Its amazing to watch and neat to think that they automatically know what to do.
The only thing I know to do is place an X over the dirt in the lay box....but since you have a large enclosure, maybe you can make many X over the dirt...then when the dirt is disturbed you will now because the x will be disturbed. I donít know if that will work, but I guess its worth a try. You can try posting this on the regular forum too, cuz we donít come onto this forum too often. Maybe someone else will have an idea. I would imagine, if the enclosure was warm enough, they might be ok for maybe a couple of days, but iím not absoultly sure. I have heard of eggs hatching in the enclosure because they were missed...so its possible that they would be ok for a short time. Good luck!
oh and hey...what are you going to do with all those babies!? sure will be a lot with 2 girls.

11/03/06  09:57pm

Dungeon girl
View Profile

Message To: Finners   In reference to Message Id: 1047343

Layed eggs!!!! Help!

Thanks for taking time to respond. Iím just a freaked out new mom!

OMG Sped must have layed her eggs yesterday cuz sheís super skinny!! I spent all morning digging around no luck!!
I have an agreement with our local pet store to purchase the babies so they can find good homes. However Iím worried Iíll want to keep em. This whole experience is wonderful..
I think in the future I will pull the girls out when it gets close, so I can watch them carefully. I saw all the mating behavior and never thought anything about it! This is the first time all of this has taken place. So Iíll chalk it up to a learning experience. Wish me luck!!

11/06/06  03:00pm

Finners
View Profile

Message To: Dungeon girl   In reference to Message Id: 1050417

Layed eggs!!!! Help!

Hey your welcome. :) Just so you know, they can lay multiple sets of eggs. My dragon Rogue, laid 3 clutches with a total of 20 eggs last year. So be prepared for up to 40 or so eggs! Good luck to you! I would go crazy with that many! lol.Iím sure you wonít want to keep all of them...I couldntí imagine having that many. It would be great if you would post on the regular forum all the happenings...like when they hatch and such. It would be great info to share with the rest of the forum.

11/07/06  11:20am

Waterdrago
View Profile

Message To: Finners   In reference to Message Id: 1051657

Layed eggs!!!! Help!

how much was your incubator

11/12/06  09:00am

Dungeon girl
View Profile

Message To: Waterdrago   In reference to Message Id: 1057342

Layed eggs!!!! Help!

I know this is pretty old..

Too much, it was a little over $100! But I didít plan ahead and the selection wasnít choice. But it works! We have babies on the way!!!

12/21/06  05:09pm

Back to Water Dragons-Breeding Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area