Venomous Snakes Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Venomous Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Acre   JEFF QUARLES   Roguish   Acre   Roguish   Acre   Roguish  

Member  Message

Acre
View Profile

Rattlesnake Feeding Question

So I have my first rattler, a Northern Pacific about 2 1/2 ft. long. It took one thawed mouse after just having killed and eaten a live one. Are thawed mice an issue? Does envenoming live ones aid in digestion to the point where feeding dead ones only might be a health problem? Those male mice - which I will try to avoid from now on - sure stink up the cage while they die.

06/16/16  03:20pm

JEFF QUARLES
View Profile

Message To: Acre   In reference to Message Id: 2318810

I always feed l8ve mice..Well, almost live. I pop them on the ground and toss them in..I gI’ve them a smack a the ground so they can’t bite the snake.

06/24/16  03:03am

Roguish
View Profile

Message To: JEFF QUARLES   In reference to Message Id: 2318881

I also have a northern pacific, I found it... it’s only 14 inches long, do you think it could eat a deer mouse? We have a problem with those on our property, could I just catch one and pop it on the ground first or do you think it would be too big?

06/11/17  02:29pm

Acre
View Profile

Message To: Roguish   In reference to Message Id: 2320742

At 14" it’s likely eating lizards and raiding mouse nests for the babies. Fuzzy or hopper mice would make appropriate food items. Deer mice would only be useful if you could locate nests and raid them for pinky/fuzzy babies.

06/14/17  10:18am

Roguish
View Profile

Message To: Acre   In reference to Message Id: 2320760

I tried to find a nest but only ended up catching a pretty fat deer mouse but the snake ate it after biting it twice.. if he has 3 segments on his rattle, Is he still a baby? Can they get hurt from eating a mouse that’s too big?

06/15/17  06:31am

Acre
View Profile

Message To: Roguish   In reference to Message Id: 2320768

At 14" a full grown mouse is a bit of a feat. The venom aids in digestion of the prey though. He should be fine as long as he’s left alone and not bothered while digesting. A basking area of at least 80 degrees F and preferably 85 or even a bit warmer is essential or the mouse will spoil before being fully digested.

06/17/17  07:48am

Roguish
View Profile

Message To: Acre   In reference to Message Id: 2320775

Thanks for the help... the snake is doing well I think I will try to catch another mouse soon, he is starting to be more active and rattling more...

06/25/17  01:00pm

Back to Venomous Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area