Venomous Snakes Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Venomous Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Herps4me   JEFF QUARLES   Herps4me  

Member  Message

Herps4me
View Profile

How many times should it take??

How many times should it take of force feeding, a baby rattler, before they will eat on their own?? I have two Crotalus viridis lutosus that will not eat on their own. I posted earlier asking what I should do and you guys helped me and showed me how to do it. Well, tonight was the third time I had to force feed them. All three times I fed them pinky mice, but I have tried live pinks, crickets, meal worms, and even little guppys in their water dish.

I understand that mice are typically not in their diet until they get a little bit older, but I’ve seen people get them started young. What should I offer now?? I just know this is really stressful on them, not to mention me. I figured two sharp mouths with toxic venom, every week, is probably not very good odds for me. I know it’s a numbers game, and I’d prefer to minimize that number as much as possible.

Anyway, any tricks from the pros??

Thanks,

-Wil

06/22/12  02:22am

JEFF QUARLES
View Profile

Message To: Herps4me   In reference to Message Id: 2270840

sometimes it takes a while before they catch on. Copperhead juvies are famous for not eating but after several months of force feeding just take off on their own..Always offer live pinks until it decides to eat.

06/23/12  07:45am

Herps4me
View Profile

Message To: JEFF QUARLES   In reference to Message Id: 2270922

Thanks Jeff. The pinks I have for them are live at first, then I euthanize them before force feed. I’ll just keep going. haha. Thanks again!

06/23/12  11:47am

Back to Venomous Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area