Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Venomous Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Dillonh24   Kelso reptiles   WillDrake   SoLA   Kelso reptiles  

Member  Message

Dillonh24
View Profile

Bill Haast Experiment

Hey everyone,
I thought I would ask the question of " Do you believe in the Bill Haast Experiment"? In case some people are wondering what that means, it means he injected venom from all types of venomous snakes (diluted at first of course) into himself to build up antibodies to help protect him from venomous snake bites, he was bitten well over 200 times on the hands alone by venomous snakes and by a King Cobra 3 times and survived. So do you believe that this method works or was there just something special about Bill? Are you for or against this type of venomous bite prevention? Would you even consider trying something like this yourself?
I hope to hear some great opinions.

Dillon

03/31/12  05:19pm

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

Message To: Dillonh24   In reference to Message Id: 2260873

Bill Haast Experiment

why wuldent it work thats basicly what they do to make antivenom for snake bites just with horses or sheep

04/04/12  07:25pm

WillDrake
View Profile

Message To: Dillonh24   In reference to Message Id: 2260873

Bill Haast Experiment

If you look at Bills hands you can tell he has been bitten numerous times and is still alive and rarely need more than basic treatments. So I believe him. That and my dad used to know him and I have been to his shop although it was when I was very very young.

04/21/12  12:26pm

SoLA
View Profile

Message To: WillDrake   In reference to Message Id: 2263655

Bill Haast Experiment

Sure it works, but comes with a cost. Most venom professionals become allergic to venom as well. They might be building a resistance to the venom being exposed to venom all the time cleaning it off objects, breathing in traces of it, possibly getting bit, etc...but the body also becomes allergic, & the reactions from that could be worse than the venom itself. If you go into anaphylaxis & can’t breath, you die pretty quickly.

There are other "self stickers" out there that claim high resistance to many types of venom, & while it is certainly interesting, I would not say it is worth it with the medical risks you put yourself in. As someone who works with venomous snakes for a living, I would rather spend my time not getting bit & making sure I trust protocol if in fact it does happen.

Will Drake, sorry to bring bad news, but Bill Haast passed away June 15th of last year.

07/06/12  01:12pm

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

Message To: SoLA   In reference to Message Id: 2272362

Bill Haast Experiment

hey SoLA long time no see. what have you ben up to. how are you.
yeah bill hast was bittin by venomouse snakes about 150-160 times, and was pronoused dead i think it was about 16 times. hey but he did live to become a 100 i hope i get to live that long. but hope i still have all my fingers haha. plus it takes years to become imune imean 20+ years and if you inject to much venome like SoLA said you can go threw anaphylaxis shock and more depending on the snake and its venom. so yeah i wouldent try

07/08/12  12:41am

Back to Venomous Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area