Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Venomous Snakes Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Venomous Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

OneMode   JEFF QUARLES   OneMode   JEFF QUARLES   OneMode   JEFF QUARLES   OneMode   Kelso reptiles   Kelso reptiles   Kelso reptiles   OneMode   Kelso reptiles  

Member  Message

OneMode
View Profile

Careful what you flip over eh!

I was walking around looking for snakes and other critters on a hot day in cali and came accross this pacific. there was a huge pile of plywood and off to the side of it was a chunk laying on the ground. i kicked it over not thinking much of it, and here was this little ankle biter! this was my very first encounter with a rattler amongst all the other venomous snake i have actually captured in the us. I took them completely for granted from stories i have heard from friends and other herpers, but holly heck these snakes have a snap to them that is wicked scary! he was definately warmed up, cause his bites were rediculously fast!!!

11/10/11  01:30pm

JEFF QUARLES
View Profile

Message To: OneMode   In reference to Message Id: 2243729

Nice little rattler. What part of cali did you find it?

11/11/11  07:42am

OneMode
View Profile

Message To: JEFF QUARLES   In reference to Message Id: 2243806

San Diego county! you can hear them all over, but i never seen them there before. It had a really cool rainbow tint on the scales too!

11/11/11  12:25pm

JEFF QUARLES
View Profile

Message To: OneMode   In reference to Message Id: 2243821

That’s cool; I was in the Navy in San Diego. Wish I had gone out looking for them then..

11/11/11  12:58pm

OneMode
View Profile

Message To: JEFF QUARLES   In reference to Message Id: 2243827

You know what, that was the good thing about living in california in the military for two and half years.. all the stuff i could go out and find.. the sad part about it all, was my main goals there were to find a desert shovel nose snake, a red coachwhip, speckled rattler, patchnose snake, and a desert nightsnake. but not one of those did i ever find. i went out every weekend to the sanoran and the mojave desert to go herping and all i found was a handful of hornytoads, fence lizards, alligator lizards, racers, and gophersnakes. a couple of my buddies found some speckles and a guy that was my feeder supplier found a mojave shovelnose, although they are on the protected list, he kept it.. it didnt make it by the way which is sad, but he was a pythong keeper and vivarium guy.. he didnt know very much about the desert species and i dont think he cared much to either. i would really enjoy a trip back there to find those along with a utah mountain kingsnake that i could find down in st. george area if i ever went down that way for fun. i live in the wasatch mountains, so there is an abundance of reptiles here to search for, but its coming up on winter right now so the season for it is off. before the first cold hit, i came accross a HUGE striped whipsnake and a million baby western whiptail lizards. When spring hits, im headed right for the mountains and the sand dunes!!!!

11/11/11  01:20pm

JEFF QUARLES
View Profile

Message To: OneMode   In reference to Message Id: 2243829

You pretty much have to go out road cruising at night to find most snakes. Atleast it is much easier that way.

11/11/11  02:09pm

OneMode
View Profile

Message To: JEFF QUARLES   In reference to Message Id: 2243838

Thanks a grand idea! i have only done that a few times. i have pretty good luck with daytime, especially with all the debree around here that i can flip over. i cant wait till spring. behind my house is a mountain dirt road, but the thing about night is that we have a ton of mountain lions here and ive seen a lot of them over the past ten years, so without a friend or two to go with, im not sure ill be doing any night hunting up there. civilian vehicles are banned up there. we go to the dunes a lot over summer so im going to be looking for sidewinders when we go. we usually see a lot of horned lizards when we go. it would be nice to find something other than rattlesnake here in utah.. north carolina was a good time when i lived there.. i found 2 pygmy rattlers, a hand full of copperheads and cottonmouths, and one really big timber! that timber was beautiful!!

11/11/11  02:26pm

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

Message To: OneMode   In reference to Message Id: 2243839

nise southern pacific
i live in the mojave desert near barstow an i go herping every day even in the winter (haha) and i still find stuff usally just side blotched lizards
SNAKES
so far ive found many raser, gopghers, mojave rattlesnakes, one specaled ratteler, lots of sidewinders(i acualy got bit by one and was in the hospital for 4 days) about 10 shouvle nose snakes, one night snake, and one glossy snake
LIZARDS
side blotched lizards, spinys, fence lizards, one western skink, one five lined skink, whiptails, desert iguannas, night lizards, western banded geckos, one swaktic gecko (aka penesular gecko) one aligator lizard, a few california glass lizards and two mojave fringe toed lizard, tree lizards, long tail brush lizards a few leopard lizards chuckwallas, and two collard lizards and some zebra tail lizards ohhh and alot of southern horned lizards.
AMPHIBIANS
invasive bull frogs, pacific tree frogs, red spotted toad, western toad or i think it was a woodhouse toad

theirs alot out here you just got to know where to look

sorry for the bad quality my camara sucks

11/17/11  11:04pm

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

Message To: OneMode   In reference to Message Id: 2243839

nise southern pacific
i live in the mojave desert near barstow an i go herping every day even in the winter (haha) and i still find stuff usally just side blotched lizards
SNAKES
so far ive found many raser, gopghers, mojave rattlesnakes, one specaled ratteler, lots of sidewinders(i acualy got bit by one and was in the hospital for 4 days) about 10 shouvle nose snakes, one night snake, and one glossy snake
LIZARDS
side blotched lizards, spinys, fence lizards, one western skink, one five lined skink, whiptails, desert iguannas, night lizards, western banded geckos, one swaktic gecko (aka penesular gecko) one aligator lizard, a few california glass lizards and two mojave fringe toed lizard, tree lizards, long tail brush lizards a few leopard lizards chuckwallas, and two collard lizards and some zebra tail lizards ohhh and alot of southern horned lizards.
AMPHIBIANS
invasive bull frogs, pacific tree frogs, red spotted toad, western toad or i think it was a woodhouse toad

theirs alot out here you just got to know where to look

sorry for the bad quality my camara sucks

11/17/11  11:04pm

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

Message To: Kelso reptiles   In reference to Message Id: 2244606

IM SO SORRY FOR THE DOBLE POST

11/17/11  11:05pm

OneMode
View Profile

Message To: Kelso reptiles   In reference to Message Id: 2244607

That’s a nice desert iguana you found! I been trying to get my wife to say yes to one of those or a chuckwalla, but she’s not having it. We just recently underwent a tragedy with my peachthroat monitor. He didn’t make it and it hurt me really bad so she says no lizards for a while. But I’m really eager to find a breeder for a redback chuckwalla. They live here but I’m not sure I want a wild caught on in my house. I’ve only got one snake that is wc, and iwith that one snake it almost cost me two. The mite infestation almose killed him and took my boa with it, but thankfully I caught the sh+t soon enough and brang it to a halt. One day, nothing. The next, mites all over!!! Be careful when wild collecting, cause it can kill if you don’t pay attention. Ill admit bad husbandry on my behalf, and the snake caught my strict attention. I got it at a pet store and didn’t think to check before taking it home, but I’m just glad I know how to treat it. Took me 6 hours to clean and another month to rid them from the snake completely!

11/24/11  12:59am

Kelso reptiles
View Profile

Message To: OneMode   In reference to Message Id: 2245183

no i dont collect i just catch and relese

11/28/11  07:40pm

Back to Venomous Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area